-How often can I/ will I be able to carry

-The level of concealment required (obviously it should be good, but
contextually speaking there are some situations where more is
better, and there are a lot of situations where passable concealment
works just fine )

-The mode of carry (pocket, IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, deep
concealment... the mode alone often will change the gun options
drastically.

-The compromise of "comfort" vs "gun versatility".

-The amount of recoil/muzzle flip I can deal with and still place
shots reliably. (IMO this changes over time, unless you have
serious joint/health problems in your forearms or hands).

-My physical limitations (or lack thereof) and how it affects gun
choice. EG- people with abnormally large/small/weird hands end
up having to eliminate a bunch of guns from contention because the
things simply don't fit their hands right etc.

There are more questions than this, but you get the idea.

For every person this will be different answers. Those different
answers will lead you to a different carry weapon almost every
time. Or if you have it bad like some of us do, it'll lead you to MORE
than one "perfect" carry gun. [laugh]

-Mike

What Mike said. Although you asked for our opinions and I gave you mine - a Glock 29. Here's why I picked that:

It's small enough to conceal.
It holds 10 rounds in a "normal" magazine and I have a backup mag with 15 rounds.
It's a 10mm, which is one of the more powerful autoloader rounds. More powerful than a .45 ACP or even a .357 Magnum.

Many people consider this "too much"; but, I can deal with the recoil and get off reasonably fast follow-up shots. People will tell you (and rightfully so) that it's not the caliber, it's the shot placement.

Good shot placement with a .380 might deter a 140 lb drunk, however the same thing might not be true with a raging, knife wielding 300 lb meth-head wearing a leather jacket and two sweatshirts. The .380 might drop him eventually, but a 10mm is likely to end it quick. I like to be secure in the knowledge that I'm carrying all the gun I can handle.

Last edited:
As others have said it really depends on your situation and your holster.
Personally for good concealment I'd suggest a Sig239 or Glock 19.

But that is relative, I'm not a big guy at all (under 6') and conceal a full size .45 with ease. So again it depends on your situation and your holster.

The one you got on you, and not the one sitting in the pistol safe at home, or in the nightstand.

Damn, Bruce... you beat me to it.

Perfect carry gun = the one you can carry all the time, concealed, that you can shoot quickly and accurately.

some folks can conceal a full size .45... others of us have to have something much smaller. It depends on how you dress, and what you have to do during the day.

Whatever you own-that is reliable,easy to conceal and you shoot well.

I'm happiest with a Glock 19 or SIG P239.

This is the best answer to a very subjective question. We can debate the merits of various brands and models, but in the end, it's what fits you best.

Currently for me that is the Glock 26.

Too many variables to name ONE

That's like asking "what is the best dog" there are too many possible
answers to that question.

You have to evaluate your situation- eg, things like:

-How often can I/ will I be able to carry

-The level of concealment required (obviously it should be good, but
contextually speaking there are some situations where more is
better, and there are a lot of situations where passable concealment
works just fine )

-The mode of carry (pocket, IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, deep
concealment... the mode alone often will change the gun options
drastically.

-The compromise of "comfort" vs "gun versatility".

-The amount of recoil/muzzle flip I can deal with and still place
shots reliably. (IMO this changes over time, unless you have
serious joint/health problems in your forearms or hands).

-My physical limitations (or lack thereof) and how it affects gun
choice. EG- people with abnormally large/small/weird hands end
up having to eliminate a bunch of guns from contention because the
things simply don't fit their hands right etc.

There are more questions than this, but you get the idea.

For every person this will be different answers. Those different
answers will lead you to a different carry weapon almost every
time. Or if you have it bad like some of us do, it'll lead you to MORE
than one "perfect" carry gun. [laugh]

-Mike

Thanks Mike...That's what I was trying to say, but was too lazy to type this out AGAIN, as this has been covered many times before.

Wear a long coat.....
.44 mag Dirty Harry style.....if you don't hit your assailant you'll more than likely scare him to death.

I vote for a Glock 27. Here's why...

- Ballistically, the .40 is a good round.

- Concealability, I can wear the 27 on my ankle.

- Controllability, I get good groups pulling the trigger as fast as I can.

- Legally, the .40 is also used by the departments in my area. I'd love to carry the mightily 10mm. However, I remember the case when a jury found a man guilty in part because "he used a caliber more deadly that the police use...".

- Cost of ammunition, I can purchase 100 rounds of WWB for $17 from Walmart (I shoot about 5,000 rounds a year).

- Fire power, I can carry 10 rounds with one in the pipe.

- Reliability, the G-27 goes bang when I pull the trigger (fortunately not a kB bang [smile] )

I like the S&W CS9 because it fits my hand so damn good and it is easily concealable.

My second choice is the S&W 642 revolver. Because it is easily concealed and a nice shooter.

For those times when I can't conceal anything else. I have a Seacamp LWS 32 and will get a LWS 380 when they are available in MA. They are good little shooters.

Personally, I like my Kahr K9. Small, but reliable and chambered in 9mm. I'd prefer my Para P12 in .45, but I don't like carrying a single action in my pocket...

That's like asking "what is the best dog" there are too many possible
answers to that question.
+1

You'll have to narrow it down much further than "best carry gun." Pocket carry or belt carry? Concealment or deep concealment? Big hands or small hands? Strong fingers or arthritis in the fingers?

What works for me (Kahr PM9 in the pocket or a Kimber Compact on my belt) may not work for you.

Mechanical design involves trade-offs. Larger capacity is great, but results in a thicker, heavier gun. So what is more important to you? Capacity? Ease of shooting? Or ease of concealment?

I love the G27 too. Reliable, accurate, and a decent size. Add the finger grip extensions to the mag so that it's easier to draw. I like the .40 cal, but some people don't. There's always the G26 in 9mm too.

Definitely try a gun before you buy it!

Buy what you think you would like to carry. If it doesn't fit, add it to the collection and buy another gun you think might serve you better. If that doesn't work add that one to your collection and start the process over again until you find one that serves your purpose. By the time you find the perfect little carry tool you should have a decent collection of fine firearms.

Good Luck....

Too many variables, I like the P99C for pocket carry (you heard me), or a full size 1911. I carry so rarely that both meet my necessary level of comfort.

The best carry gun is the gun that you'll actually carry. The reality is that there are some places that you won't be able to carry legally, but with those exceptions, I'm a firm believer in carrying all the time. I understand why some people such as LEO's might reasonably decide to carry some times, but not others; they might even not want to carry at all, but are compelled to under certain circumstances. Civilians such as myself (and most other NES members) aren't in that situation. If we've got our heads screwed on even half-way right, we avoid ever going into situations where we might feel compelled to carry. In that case, the only decision is do you carry for the extremely rare and totally unpredictable even where it might be a lifesaver, or do you go unarmed in the hope that, like Blanche DuBoise, you can rely on the kindness of strangers.

If, like me, you decide to take responsibility for your own safety, then the only real question becomes "will I carry this gun with me every single day, without any exceptions?" If you fund yourself avoiding the inconvenience of carrying a gun even one day a month, that will more than offset all the differences in reliability, accuracy or stopping power between any two guns you might possibly consider. So unless you can conclude that you would carry a particular gun every single time you step out your door, go for to work, the mall, church, synagogue, the theater, or just for an afternoon drive, everything else is meaningless.

Ken

Damn, Bruce... you beat me to it.

Perfect carry gun = the one you can carry all the time, concealed, that you can shoot quickly and accurately.

some folks can conceal a full size .45... others of us have to have something much smaller. It depends on how you dress, and what you have to do during the day.

I agree with Ross COMPLETELY.

Best gun is what YOU are comfortable with, can carry comfortably, can conceal well and shoot well.

For me, I carry a Beretta M9 in an Alessi IWB Holster. Yes, that's a full size 92FS, mine is marked M9, a Special Edition. Same model gun as I was assigned in the Army Guard, until the latest Organization change (back to an M16A2 now). My 1917 Colt is just too damned big. And yes, I've carried in a crowd of 9000 bikers this summer (BMWMOA National). I had to show a good friend, (retired Colonie NY PD LT, Motorcycle COP as well), he couldn't see it easily, until he felt it. And he's a gun person as well as a retired LEO.

For my girlfriend, it's a 1911A1 with NM sights (the one your niece likes Ross) in a Don Hume IWB Holster. She can conceal it well, is comfortable with it, and she can shoot it well enough. It works for her.

For my son-in-law, it's a full sized Sigma in 40 S&W in a Don Hume IWB Holster.

OK, call me a wimp for CCWing a 9mm, but I can shoot that 9mm really well, better than I can shoot the 1911A1, and for CCW, I prefer a DA, but not a DA Only.

Besides, pick on me too much (Ross and Derek), and my g/f will have my back with the 45. Just Kidding, of course.

Your mileage may vary. Get something that meets the basic points above. If it isn't comfortable, you WON'T carry it when you need to.

"will I carry this gun with me every single day, without any exceptions?"
Wish I could. But I work at a university and there's not a chance in heck that I would get permission from the president.

Wish I could. But I work at a university and there's not a chance in heck that I would get permission from the president.

Been there, done that. The only redeeming feature was that the president allowed us to carry to and from campus and check our guns at the campus police station. She didn't even allow them to carry.

Ken

The best carry gun is the gun that you'll actually carry. The reality is that there are some places that you won't be able to carry legally, but with those exceptions, I'm a firm believer in carrying all the time. I understand why some people such as LEO's might reasonably decide to carry some times, but not others; they might even not want to carry at all, but are compelled to under certain circumstances. Civilians such as myself (and most other NES members) aren't in that situation. If we've got our heads screwed on even half-way right, we avoid ever going into situations where we might feel compelled to carry. In that case, the only decision is do you carry for the extremely rare and totally unpredictable even where it might be a lifesaver, or do you go unarmed in the hope that, like Blanche DuBoise, you can rely on the kindness of strangers.

If, like me, you decide to take responsibility for your own safety, then the only real question becomes "will I carry this gun with me every single day, without any exceptions?" If you fund yourself avoiding the inconvenience of carrying a gun even one day a month, that will more than offset all the differences in reliability, accuracy or stopping power between any two guns you might possibly consider. So unless you can conclude that you would carry a particular gun every single time you step out your door, go for to work, the mall, church, synagogue, the theater, or just for an afternoon drive, everything else is meaningless.

Ken

This is awfully harsh, Ken. I'm a teacher so carry at work is NOT an option. I also think that certain situations have greater call for carry than others. A trip to the Little League park to watch my children play baseball is not the same as a night out to dinner in Boston with my wife and some friends. When I do choose to carry, I am confident in my ability to use my firearm as a protective and defensive tool. This confidence, backed up by practice and training is what is truly important.

I can't carry while in Mass, but when I go to New Hampshire or somewhere else that I can carry, I will carry a SW 317 in an IWB.

Please laugh at me for CCWing with a .22lr.

I have only owned and used an SW99. I like the gun, it's small and lightweight. And it's good to shoot though it does have a bit of a kick in .40. At some point, I will buy more pistols as I am in NH now. But for now, I still love my SW99.

Tmb2_S_W120210FC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom