What is a good course?

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
With all of the recent discussion on training (which is good, btw) I wanted to start a discussion on what constitutes a good training course.

I want this to include both perpesctives - student and instructor. From those who have attended classes in the past what did you like, learn or dislike?

From those contemplating, or just interested, what do you think you would like to gain?

I bring this up on the heels of the discussion on why people don't train and few recent discussions on techniques. I often believe that what some folks want to learn isn't necessarily what they should be being taught.

Thoughts?

I ask that everyone keep an open mind. I want this to be an educational thread and any disagreements that may rise should be kept civil. Thanks.

A good course is one where I learn something.

Sometimes it is learning new drills. Sometimes it is learning the basics in a new, different way that improves my shooting.

It's been a while since I've learned techniques that were significantly different to me. But Randy Cain's class helped me improve my shooting by helping me focus (again) on the basics in a different way.

I've since improved further with additional practice and dry firing tips I picked up from a DVD and books.

A good course is one where I learn something.

Sometimes it is learning new drills. Sometimes it is learning the basics in a new, different way that improves my shooting.

It's been a while since I've learned techniques that were significantly different to me. But Randy Cain's class helped me improve my shooting by helping me focus (again) on the basics in a different way.

I've since improved further with additional practice and dry firing tips I picked up from a DVD and books.

I know ideas are going to vary depending on experience.

Do you choose a class because there is something specific you want learn or explore, or do you just expect to learn "something" out of it?

Good Courses

When I select a course to attend or a course that neshooters will host, I use the same criteria, i.e. the reputation of the instructor, the course content and comments from friends that have taken the course. I generally ignore comments about the courses unless I know the writer. I never give any creedence to reviews by web trolls what use words like "a friend took he course".

I expect that I will learn from the course and I always have. I may learn additional skills and I may learn things that I did not like. For example, I have used the Harries flashlight method for years and wanted experience with the Surefire (Rodgers) method. After spending one evening shooting with the Surefire method, I learned that it was not for me. Later in a class with Gabe Suarez, I learned a variation of the Harries method that allowed me to avoid the excessive blading and have less stress on my body. In shooting skills, little things mean a lot.

a good course

In order to have a good course, it important that the student does his job. also. The first thing that the student MUST do is come to the course with an open mind. I have numerous students griping about how the instructor want them to do something that they have always done another way. The student must accept that the instructor knows something that he is trying to show for a reason. My advice on this is to try it the instructor's way for the class unless it causes you some physical problem. After that class explain why you do not like/prefer the technique to the instructor.

The second thing that the student must do is not to take an intermediate or advanced class until the basics are ROCK SOLID. If you insist on doing this you will be unhappy and frustrated. In an advanced class the instructor should not waste the class's time trying to deal with a student who is unprepared. I have seen this happen time and time again. The problem that we all have is that in school, we went from the first grade to the second grade and so on. Many student have said to me that they have had a basic class and now they are ready for something more advanced. The key to whether a student is ready for more is whether they have fully internalized all of the basics. This does not mean that you have done 3000 repetitions and the technique is in "muscle memory". What this means is that you use no mental effort or time remembering what to do, you simply see the need and it is done. I know a lot of very good shooters that routinely take basic classes because it makes them better.

Remember that:
The basics are all that there is, and
There is no such thing as an advanced gun fight.

One thing that I've learned a while ago is don't assume that the course that's offered is safe. Long story short, in my younger years I learned this by having to walk away from the shooting stage. I was just staring off, but I knew the basics of firearms safety. So the first thing I look for is safety. The second thing I look for is reputation, especially from someone who has taken the course. A few good questions can tell you a lot. I then look at what the course is focused on and what I'm attempting to learn. Again the questioning comes in handy.

The main thing that I want out of a course is to go away with some good knowledge. Enough knowledge to go out on my own to practice, refine, and evaluate what I've learned.

I get excited when learning new tactics. Taking a basic course every now and again is very helpful. Or even taking a recap course is great. I always pick up on something that I didn't retain in the prior course. But I like new material and tactics. I like to try them out, evaluate them, and take what I like and intragrate it into my own style or replace something that I'm doing now.

The other thing that I want from a course is an instructor who remembers that he/she was once in my shoes. They then know my and others growing pains. I've seen some instructors forget this.

Lastly, I look at is the course going to be fun for me. Not in a goofing off way, but am I going to enjoy myself. I take it serious, but I want to walk away saying, I learned a great deal and had some fun as well.

I dislike courses that teach to much. We only retain so much. Some courses try to cram a lot of information into a small amount of time and give you a book and say good luck. I believe that good instructor or company can find that fine line that is just enough but not to much.

Off of the top of my head that what I mainly focus on. I don't think that I've taken any course that I didn't learn something. But I've taken a few that I didn't really enjoy.

Stay safe,
Justin

A good course is a two part scenerio. The student and the instructor.

If the instructor is prepared and skilled at his craft and has the knowledge base and experiance than he will achieve his end result a trained student.

The student is the one that really has to do all the hard work here. Be prepared to take notes, do all that is asked of you and most importantly have An Open Mind, apply the new skills as they are taught to yoiu and add the ones to your tool box that work for you.
If unsure of a task or instruction ask and it we be addressed.

But always ask if unsure. You paid for the class.
We all learn(The rest of the Class) from questions that are asked.

Research your instructors qualifications, buy one of his books, read articles he has authored etr. and make your choice.

If still unsure call him.

Back
Top Bottom