what is a barrel?

So this is kind of a build question so I may be posting this in the wrong area but I think the question is more a generic question that just a build question, so here goes.

If I have a PCC "barrel" that has a rifled section measuring 5.5 inches that has a metal shroud permanently attached such that the entire overall length is 16.1 inches in length, does that allow me to consider the unit as a 16.1 inch barrel for the sake of avoiding an SBR situation?

Mass law says " barrel length is that portion of a firearm through which a shot or bullet is driven, guided or stabilized".

The shroud sure isn't guiding or stabilizing the round. And who knows what they meant by "driven".

I would guess that there are a lot of us using shrouded barrels with PCCs.

Am I overthinking this?

OP: What does this shroud look like? If someone where to dowel test it, would they easily be able to see the muzzle of the 5.5" barrel even with this shroud permanently fixed to the barrel? Not that this would commonly happen, but still....MA.

What is the point of a 5.5 inch barrel with a shroud that long? Why have 5.5 inch performance and an overall length of 16.1?

Is it for weight reduction?

Federally, it would be a rifle.

According to MGL, it might be a “firearm”. Sure seems like that barrel length definition would make it not a rifle according to MGL. But you’re all set from an SBR perspective anyway. No NFA issues.

Mesatchornug - yes to the chamber, and agree that you measure from the bolt face, I just wonder if the last 10.5 inches count as part of a "barrel" in MA.

ReluctantDecoy - I don't think that a normal dowel test would show the rifling/shroud interface, but a bore scope or light would. And a google search on the barrel sure would explain the construction. As for what it looks like, check out this link - its a great company with great products and they make a very representative shrouded barrel: Super Feed 16" ULW Barrel AR-9mm.

Whacko - lighter weight but still rifle length, same ballistics out of a pistol that you are using to swap mags with, less difficulty keeping a round subsonic, etc. You can also visit any of the PCC sites for more info/discussion on this point.

Mesatchornug - yes to the chamber, and agree that you measure from the bolt face, I just wonder if the last 10.5 inches count as part of a "barrel" in MA.

ReluctantDecoy - I don't think that a normal dowel test would show the rifling/shroud interface, but a bore scope or light would. And a google search on the barrel sure would explain the construction. As for what it looks like, check out this link - its a great company with great products and they make a very representative shrouded barrel: Super Feed 16" ULW Barrel AR-9mm.

Whacko - lighter weight but still rifle length, same ballistics out of a pistol that you are using to swap mags with, less difficulty keeping a round subsonic, etc. You can also visit any of the PCC sites for more info/discussion on this point.
If it's permanently fixed, then it's part of the barrel, just like any other muzzle device. Fixed brakes, etc. count for barrel length; people do this with fake cans, too. I can't imagine it's any different here. Remember also, a barrel doesn't have to be rifled.

Mesatchornug - that is a very good point. If a brake that is unrifled, and does not contact the bullet in any way counts towards overall length, then a shroud that is attached with a weld should count too.

Thanks

I am not an expert, but I think you are OK. Here is an example of a 10/22 barrel which has a permanently attached shroud, so that a suppressor can be attached without increasing overall length. The length of the rifling here is 12", but the overall length is over 16", so it is a normal rifle. So if this funny looking thing is OK, I think you will be fine. Note that I have no connection to this product.

Mass law says " barrel length is that portion of a firearm through which a shot or bullet is driven, guided or stabilized".

The shroud sure isn't guiding or stabilizing the round. And who knows what they meant by "driven".
(Absent a written definition), if I was on a criminal jury,
I'd figure it means that a portion of a gun which drives shot or a bullet
has to be in intimate enough contact with it to establish a seal,
and accelerate the projectile by the expansion of the burning propellant gases.

I wouldn't bet that a DA would be more liberal than that.

AHM thanks for the response. Your thinking is exactly where I was when I started the OP. But having looked over the responses, I think it should be OK - if we are allowed to count muzzle brakes or compensators that are wielded-on as part of the overall barrel length, then a shroud should be OK - but in the end this is all a crap shoot thanks to the well written laws of MA!

AHM thanks for the response. Your thinking is exactly where I was when I started the OP.
De nada; it any part of gun law is my forte, this ain't it.
It's more like Gun FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt),
mixed with the principle that every word in a law should be assumed to have meaning.

But distinguish cited statutes
from case law
from broad group consensus
from wishful thinking
when weighing answers.

And then maybe the most important thing is to stay under the radar -
don't open carry it on Boston Common, LOL.

If it's permanently fixed, then it's part of the barrel, just like any other muzzle device. Fixed brakes, etc. count for barrel length; people do this with fake cans, too. I can't imagine it's any different here. Remember also, a barrel doesn't have to be rifled.

Thats the federal interpretation. Not necessarily MGL definition. But I do think permanently attached muzzle devices have generally been considered as part of the barrel for MGL purposes over the years. But a strict reading of the barrel length definition makes it questionable.

Back
Top Bottom