• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happens to the guns police take

Just wondering do they destroy them or do they go up for auction. If the do where do the auction them off. Thanks

alot of these questions can be answered in the many anti powderhorn outfitters threads. It depends on the town. I know my town melts them down. other towns sell them for dirt money to shops that mark them up. I only buy new if i can..

Just wondering do they destroy them or do they go up for auction. If the do where do the auction them off. Thanks
Depends on the department. A former Lawrence police chief helped himself to a Browning A-5 12 gauge. When called on it, he claimed that, as chief, it was his right to take it for himself. Many confiscated guns "disappeared" from the Lowell PD evidence room as well. Many more go into the Dowd and Cohen extortion warehouses, where they are sold for top dollar and the profit is 100%. Best bet is to keep valuable heirloom and collector-grade guns safely out of state and keep a few meat-and-potato type guns at home for target shooting, hunting and home defense (Remington 870 Express, Mossberg 500 series, Marlin bolt-action .22 rifles, etc.). Less money invested in guns, less to lose.

i wish you could post your story on here JoeT ..now im intrigued but totally get you dont wanna make it public

i wish you could post your story on here JoeT ..now im intrigued but totally get you dont wanna make it public

very abridged version...

Philly police got my gun (long story) and it was "destroyed". Couple years later I received a call that my gun was "found" (used in a crime) in a city close to Philly. When I explained that gun was "destroyed" a couple years earlier and explained situation. Cop told me he'd have to get back to me.

That was 1993 and I'm still waiting

My uncle used to cut them up for the atf. The deal was the nice ones they would sell off, the crap ones and the altered ones (sawed off shotguns, sbr's, altered serial numbers, etc) he would torch cut. Broke his heart when good iron came through.

It depends...If they go to a bonded warehouse and not picked up, they go to auction. I've picked up a lot at a gun auction for DIRT CHEAP!

Got me a 10/22 for 65 bucks, a Sears and Robuck for 30 bucks, an Ithica Lever .22 for 40 bucks...it's awesome when you find the local auction house that's doing this. Actually, ended up with five pretty nice .22 rifles for about 240 bucks. Just keep an eye out.

My brother owned a Sig 229, polished inside by Sig and a stipled grip. When he used it to end his life I got it back from the State Police, who were very helpful. I just didn't trust them that it would be destroyed, it might just develop legs and walk off. I think most get destroyed but I believe some really nice one's disappear.

they take the guns, digitize them with a laser scanner (like in the original movie Tron), and send them into cyberspace. When there, evil rogue programs use the guns to create computer viruses.

In MA per MGL/CMR/MSP regulations, they are SUPPOSED to be sent to MSP for destruction.

Exception is if they are confiscated w/LTC/FID they are then supposed to be sent to FFL, bonded warehouse or stored by PD.

What really happens will vary . . .

It depends...If they go to a bonded warehouse and not picked up, they go to auction. I've picked up a lot at a gun auction for DIRT CHEAP!

Got me a 10/22 for 65 bucks, a Sears and Robuck for 30 bucks, an Ithica Lever .22 for 40 bucks...it's awesome when you find the local auction house that's doing this. Actually, ended up with five pretty nice .22 rifles for about 240 bucks. Just keep an eye out.

So... You support the bonded warehouse racket? Doesn't it bother you that you're buying property that was stolen from others under the color of law?

Back
Top Bottom