what happens in this situation ?

I'm moving to a town where it is very difficult , nearly impossible , to get a clas A permit . I have a class A which expires in a few years . Can the town I'm moving to take away my class A or change my permit to a class B ? If I'm still living in the town when my current class A expires , can they refuse to renue it ?

I'm moving to a town where it is very difficult , nearly impossible , to get a clas A permit . I have a class A which expires in a few years . Can the town I'm moving to take away my class A or change my permit to a class B ? If I'm still living in the town when my current class A expires , can they refuse to renue [sic] it ?

No, No and Yes, respectively.

Which is why Jesse Cohen, when acting as a real estate broker, provides the additional service of advising gun owners about the licensing practices of the towns they are looking to buy in.

You MUST Notify when you move, per MGL. Failure to do so allows revocation of your LTC.

Even though you move, ONLY the town that issued your permit can revoke/suspend. The new town can NOT modify the terms of your permit. Thus, unless you do something bad, your permit will be good until it expires.

Every renewal is treated like a "new applicant" and at that time, the chief can deny, issue, impose any restrictions he wants, downgrade you to anything that he wants. There is an appeals process thru the courts, but they almost always look at a "permit is a permit" and won't interfere with a chief's discretion (even if it is a downgrade from LTC-A to LTC-B).

Which is why Jesse Cohen, when acting as a real estate broker, provides the additional service of advising gun owners about the licensing practices of the towns they are looking to buy in.

A very valuable service indeed!!

Unlike some real estate agents that I'm aware of who sold houses and told the buyers that the gun club was going to be shut down within 6 months! Man are they pissed at all the noise and the broken promises! [BTW: We weren't told WHO specifically told the buyers that mis-info, but heard it enough times so that it is credible.] This was years ago, specifically with Sharon F&G, but other activity around BR&P seems to indicate similar behavior.

Every renewal is treated like a "new applicant" and at that time, the chief can deny, issue, impose any restrictions he wants, downgrade you to anything that he wants.

Not quite - although some chiefs abuse their authority by doing that. NEW - as in, never-licensed, - applicants must provide proof of successful completion of a safety course. Renewals do NOT, contrary to what some chiefs claim.

Not quite - although some chiefs abuse their authority by doing that. NEW - as in, never-licensed, - applicants must provide proof of successful completion of a safety course. Renewals do NOT, contrary to what some chiefs claim.

Welcome to Watertown. I had to "renew" my BSC before I could apply to renew my LTC. [frown]

No. You're right. I could have stood my ground and then been denied totally. Despite their being wrong, its the only game in town. Why unnecessarily piss off the authorities? I use to be one, so I remember the games that can be played.

Besides, I have other options.

Thus providing a golden opportunity to challenge the unlawful policy in court.

and what are your rates for representing the case? Not everyone has enough money to be able to afford the lengthy litigation so what are his options?

and what are your rates for representing the case? Not everyone has enough money to be able to afford the lengthy litigation so what are his options?

I'm litigating just such a case now, with the assistance of GOAL, no less. Another (pointle$$) pretrial conference is on Tuesday.

Film at 11:00 ...............

I'm litigating just such a case now, with the assistance of GOAL, no less. Another (pointle$$) pretrial conference is on Tuesday.

Film at 11:00 ...............

Exactly, the other way they fight and win is one at a time. The system uses our own tax dollars to steal our rights and we have to pay more money in legal fess to defend them. If you think about it we're kind of paying for both sides of it if we choose such a fight.

I'd be interested to hear what comes out of your case. Obviously only on what you can legally divulge....

Back
Top Bottom