What gun to buy

Hope it does not offend anyone.. I am here to make new acquaintances and learn more about guns and gun laws...

Great start! Welcome to the forum.

Define "concealable". How do you plan to carry? A lot depends on that. Lots of people carry a 1911 in its various configurations. Even a gov't model 1911 disappears if it's carried right.

I sometimes carry a G29 (same size and the lesser-powered .45 caliber G30) and find it to be easily concealable in the winter but not so much without a cover garment.

Are you a fat girl (or guy)? If so, you can probably hide anything. If not, try a search (either here of Google) on "Concealable .45" and you might be able to narrow it down so you can make your request more specific.

I am a left handed shooter. The 1911 was a lot easier to find very nice IWB holsters for LH draw. Stupid me traded my 1911 for a Trap shotgun. Now I carry a 4013tsw S&W easy to hide, but still have not found a "good holster". I recently bought a super tuck it works better than my last holster.
Also if if this is a dedicated carry gun and you wont be shooting targets alot with it. For me the 1911 was a do all gun. I could shoot many many rounds with that.
My 40 S&W is a bit more punchy not well suited for exstended range sessions.

Hope it does not offend anyone.. I am here to make new acquaintances and learn more about guns and gun laws...

Your handle could be "Bob" and you'd get some ribbing for it. Nature of the beast. Shoot a lot of different guns to find the one you want is the only advice I can give. I got lucky a lot in buying stuff without shooting it first, but I also got a couple of stinkers (for me). Like that Glock. Blah. Felt like I was handling a brick.

Are you a fat girl (or guy)? If so, you can probably hide anything. If not, try a search (either here of Google) on "Concealable .45" and you might be able to narrow it down so you can make your request more specific.

Hehe. Yeah, "love handles" do help with concealment if you carry around 3 o'clockish. So... eat up, I guess? [rofl]

Are you settled on a .45?

I've tried carrying 4 different pistols - SIGMA 9mm, Walther ppk, S&W .38 (airweight) and a Colt Command 1911.

Ultimately the .38 won out. It' so small and lightweight that you barely notice it.

images
If you're considering a warthog, get one like this. More reliable and better materials used in the manufacturing process.
Welcome to NES.
The bark isn't always worse than the bite.[laugh]

The micro 1911's are harder to hit with than the larger ones. Try as many autos and revolvers as you can before you decide. The larger and heavier the gun the easier it is to shoot. They don't conceal as well but I don't care. I'd rather carry a gun that's easier to shoot.

Brin, Funny that you mention that. I was just going to put my vote for the XD45. I originally purchased an XD 45 Tactical. That means it has a 5" barrel, standard grip and 13+1 rounds of 45ACP (Not including a spare mag). I liked the pistol but then decided I wanted that XD45 Compact. I traded towards a used one that had tritium sights already installed. I'm very happy with the XD 45 Compact. The barrel length is 4". However, that's not a huge consideration if you're carrying strong side/IWB. The butt of the gun protruding outward is often the problem that causes "printing" (i.e. I've got a gun). The XD 45C has an abbreviated (aka shortened) grip that allows for a 10 round flush mounted mag to be inserted. Yet, it still takes the 13 rounders by way of an adapter sleeve (on the 13 rd mag).

I do not have the problem of the "pinky hangover" that I do with other shortened pistols. (My pinky has just GOT to stop drinking.) That said, I'm a big guy (6'4", 295lbs) so I think I can get away with more. EddieCoyle made a good point about your physique. Adapting your clothing is extremely important. I live up in the Northeast so I'll be able to wear a jacket or a bulky sweatshirt for the next 6 months. I like the Crossbreed Supertuck holsters. I have one for my G26 which helps make it disappear in the summer. I used to have a G21 that I liked but didn't love. The grip was like holding a 2x4. Don't get me wrong. I love Glocks as well. I think that the G19/23 is the perfect sized pistol. During the summers I carry the G26 with a 10 rounder in the mag well and a G19 mag on the offside. So, it's like I've got a G26 and G19 all in one. It's kind of the same with the XD 45. I've got an XD45 Compact and an XD Service Model all in one. I haven't had any malfunctions to date. I currently have Speer Gold Dots in both pistols. The G26 has the 124gr +p and the XDC has the 230 gr.

The bottom line is that there are so many great guns out on the market, it's really hard to go wrong. Most of the time, it comes down to personal preference and/or what feels best. To me, the XD 45 fits me very well. It might not fit your hand as well. The M&P pistols may feel better in your hand. Sig, Colt, Springfield, Glock, HK...the list goes on and on for quality made handguns. Handle as many as you can and shoot as many of them as you can. Good luck and, whatever you pick, exercise and enjoy your 2nd Amendment Freedoms. This is just my .02. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck in your search, Jim

Back
Top Bottom