• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Ok thanks. Lyman does not show unique for 300grain projos.
Look at that, you are right, no data for anything heavy with Unique. Don't ask me why, but I started at 6.5 gr and worked up. Stopped at 9.5, wrote down there were pressure signs. I didn't do anything scientific. I probably had a beer or two and picked 6.5gr as a starting point out of thin air. I do not recommend this procedure to anyone.

Disclaimer, I am just another assh**e on the internet, I am not a professional. Use your own judgement, I know you are a smart guy/gal/them. Always start with a safe load and work up.

First OCW test with the tikka varmint complete. These were loaded 20 thousandths off the lands with varying charges of varget. I don’t see any pressure but input appreciated. Also some nice fellow left me a bunch of 223,6.5, and 30-06 brass. View attachment 445778View attachment 445780View attachment 445779
What are you using for bullets, are you trying to stay to OAL to feed from your mag?
Varget for me anyway gives a large OCW nod. You have 1 grain difference where your point of aim , point of impact and group size average all come together.
If your loading 223 varget even with a compressed load can be fine pressure wise. Depending on bullet used .
What is the max load per your data for your bullet.
Looking at your groups there is more vertical dispersions and that could just be your breathing.
I would run a 23-max and see if tou have another node that tightens up groups.

good thing is you now know you can toss some pretty loose powder chaged and expect to hit point of aim point of impact and be around 1 moa. Thats not a bad thing

What are you using for bullets, are you trying to stay to OAL to feed from your mag?
Varget for me anyway gives a large OCW nod. You have 1 grain difference where your point of aim , point of impact and group size average all come together.
If your loading 223 varget even with a compressed load can be fine pressure wise. Depending on bullet used .
What is the max load per your data for your bullet.
Looking at your groups there is more vertical dispersions and that could just be your breathing.
I would run a 23-max and see if tou have another node that tightens up groups.

good thing is you now know you can toss some pretty loose powder chaged and expect to hit point of aim point of impact and be around 1 moa. Thats not a bad thing
77gr smk Right now they are loaded 20 thou off the lands. The coal is 2.265ish but I’m measuring to the ogive. I agree with running this again I’m going to go up to around 24.5ish watching for pressure signs. Shouldn’t have to worry about fitting in mag as my mags go to 2.325. I’ve read of multiple guys running over 24 having issues with primer pockets on the LC after very few firings so hopefully I find something that’s not gonna beat em up too bad. I think there was definately room for improvement on those groups as well my hands were freezing but in between strings I couldn’t stop digging through the snow picking up brass 😂

Look at that, you are right, no data for anything heavy with Unique. Don't ask me why, but I started at 6.5 gr and worked up. Stopped at 9.5, wrote down there were pressure signs. I didn't do anything scientific. I probably had a beer or two and picked 6.5gr as a starting point out of thin air. I do not recommend this procedure to anyone.

Disclaimer, I am just another assh**e on the internet, I am not a professional. Use your own judgement, I know you are a smart guy/gal/them. Always start with a safe load and work up.
I found put the hard way that fast powder plus heavy jacketed bullets equals stuck bullet in bore. I found some load data for 700x with a 158 grain jacketed bullet for 38 special. They ran fine through my snub 38 but first shot through the Henry carbine and "frrrp"......bullet came out of the muzzle and bounced on the floor about 25 feet down range.

If unique isn't listed for a heavy jacketed projo.......I'll just not use it......especially as these are going to be put the ruger carbine.

Please remember not to post any links going forward. The link you posted in the primer thread got the whole thread nuked unfortunately. Not trying to sound rude [laugh]

What’s the general consensus on Titegroup? People seem to love or hate it from what I’ve read. I scored a pound, unfortunately, just a pound was all that was available and with shipping and hazmat fees I’m not feeling as joyous as perhaps I should.
Aside from being a hot powder and perhaps not using lead cast bullets, what am I missing?
I’d be loading 9mm exclusively, mostly range ammo perhaps some defense ammo if I can find projectiles at all.

Please remember not to post any links going forward. The link you posted in the primer thread got the whole thread nuked unfortunately. Not trying to sound rude [laugh]
Which is pretty comical since there are tons of posts stating companies AND direct links to places all throughout that thread and they are still there. Scroll through the first few pages alone to see.

I get people are worried but to call out one thing when the same is posted everywhere is just f***ing dumb.
He should unlock that thread because it was a valuable source to find components. We can all be better but don’t lock it.

What’s the general consensus on Titegroup? People seem to love or hate it from what I’ve read. I scored a pound, unfortunately, just a pound was all that was available and with shipping and hazmat fees I’m not feeling as joyous as perhaps I should.
Aside from being a hot powder and perhaps not using lead cast bullets, what am I missing?
I’d be loading 9mm exclusively, mostly range ammo perhaps some defense ammo if I can find projectiles at all.
I shot quite a bit of TG in 9mm for awhile before switching to N320. It works just fine. It just burns hot and isn’t the cleanest unless you’re loading near max. Cleanliness is relative. It’s not like shooting black powder or anything lol.
With 147 gr projectiles you can get over 2k rounds per pound.

Back
Top Bottom