What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I paced around and hit refresh on the shipping info link for my new press. It’s still not coming until Wednesday.

I’m just getting started out. How temperature sensitive are most reloading tools and components, if I’m dealing with an unheated/uncooled garage? Same as anything - protect the metal? Store primers and brass in the house? Is powder OK out there?
Nice. What did ya get?

I paced around and hit refresh on the shipping info link for my new press. It’s still not coming until Wednesday.

I’m just getting started out. How temperature sensitive are most reloading tools and components, if I’m dealing with an unheated/uncooled garage? Same as anything - protect the metal? Store primers and brass in the house? Is powder OK out there?
It should be cared for equally or better than a family member, remember it will never leave you, take half your money, call from a police station at 3 in the morning, or care how much you spend on guns or reloading. Cool and dry in the summer, heated and dry in the winter and it will give you many years of love...a good diet Of quality components, regular maintenance and lots of exercise. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy (not THE Jack btw).

Powder and primers I keep inside. Central a/c and the mini-split do a decent job of keeping humidity to a minimum.
Had presses in the garage for years. Keep it covered. Still do all the dirty work out there.

Certain powders can be temp sensitive, but what loads in the cold, shoots in the cold.

Powder/Primers cool dry snd as stable as possible.

In support of "cool and dry" (dry meaning "not wet" rather than low humidity) for primers, from the SAAMI pdf on primers:

4. Primers exposed to water or any organic solvent, such as paint thinner, gasoline, kerosene, oil, grease, etc. may deteriorate, resulting in misfires or poor ignition.

5. Modern sporting ammunition primers will not absorb moisture under normal or even severe conditions of atmospheric humidity. There is no advantage to be gained from air-tight containers. The factory containers in which they are packaged need only normal conditions of storage. They should be kept dry and not exposed to high temperatures (in excess of 150° F). If exposed to wet conditions or high temperatures, they may deteriorate, yielding misfires or poor ignition of the propellant powder.

Just finished processing 500 Lake City 7.62x51 once fired. Pretty sight.

View attachment 377930
i cant help notice the huge pile around the primer pocket tool? Was the brass particularly stretched.
Just curious, as i have the same prep machine and procesed 1000 30-06 and did not get near as much trimmings?
Still nice to see. i still need to stock up more on 308 brass.

i cant help notice the huge pile around the primer pocket tool? Was the brass particularly stretched.
Just curious, as i have the same prep machine and procesed 1000 30-06 and did not get near as much trimmings?
Still nice to see. i still need to stock up more on 308 brass.
The primer pocket tool or the trimming tool? If the trimming tool, these were all about 0.020" over the case trim legnth. I think most of the LC brass i have processed has been towards the high side if length. Other brands barely need a trim.

Bought the whole shebang to start reloading. I’ve been wanting to learn and when I saw an ad for lightly used equipment in WTS, I pulled the trigger.
I've been reading this thread and some others. I’m just now diving into the manuals. I’m pretty psyched to have everything I need including primers!
I’m planning on taking my time and learning this side if firearms ownership.
Thanks to all who have generously shared your knowledge.

Bought the whole shebang to start reloading. I’ve been wanting to learn and when I saw an ad for lightly used equipment in WTS, I pulled the trigger.
I've been reading this thread and some others. I’m just now diving into the manuals. I’m pretty psyched to have everything I need including primers!
I’m planning on taking my time and learning this side if firearms ownership.
Thanks to all who have generously shared your knowledge.
Awesome! Critical that you got the components (primers mainly). What calibers will you be reloading?

The primer pocket tool or the trimming tool? If the trimming tool, these were all about 0.020" over the case trim legnth. I think most of the LC brass i have processed has been towards the high side if length. Other brands barely need a trim.
That huge pile under the primer pocket tool!

I feel bad even posting i had to do this but i am sure they are lying their asses off but.... optics planet says they have just the Forster full length resizing die for the 6.5 creedmoor 3 were in stock so i ordered.. [popcorn] it is my only option. watch it be some internally scratched FL sizer that someone returned. I will get the Forster bullet seater die from another website once i have conformation it shipped.

I feel bad even posting i had to do this but i am sure they are lying their asses off but.... optics planet says they have just the Forster full length resizing die for the 6.5 creedmoor 3 were in stock so i ordered.. [popcorn] it is my only option. watch it be some internally scratched FL sizer that someone returned. I will get the Forster bullet seater die from another website once i have conformation it shipped.
i put a few donouts on it being 6.5 what u dont need other than creedmore.

Back
Top Bottom