What did you do in the reloading room recently?

If you ever decide to get rid of it, let me know.

Did you consider the brass processing service that @andrew1220 uses? I haven't tried them, but you may want to ask andrew how they are working out if interested.
i wish these brass processors annealed brass. All my 223 is 5+ reloaded and i can feel the difference on the trimmer. So Im sure neck tension must suffer. Im not sure what to do at this point. Get the 5k processed and be done with it or get a powered trimmer.

I use a couple methods to trim rifle brass. Fastest is Giroud TriWay on a big electric motor. I've been doing all my .308 with that setup. All my .223, 30 Carbine and .30/'06 I do on the
Dillon using RT1500 and trim dies, sizing and trimming in one operation. The cases do require a chamfer/debur after tumbling in corn to take the lube off. RCBS makes carbide bits for this...I use them with my drill and it goes really fast.

i wish these brass processors annealed brass. All my 223 is 5+ reloaded and i can feel the difference on the trimmer. So Im sure neck tension must suffer. Im not sure what to do at this point. Get the 5k processed and be done with it or get a powered trimmer.
Annealing has been in the back of my mind for a while.
Do you have a bolt buster? You could try it on a couple of cases.
Amazon product ASIN B086V6CYM6View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086V6CYM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xIViFbC4CV813

Might order one of these to try out. Could be a cheap diy solution using an Arduino to time the heating.

Might order one of these to try out. Could be a cheap diy solution using an Arduino to time the heating.

It would be great to find a relatively low cost solution to case annealing that is fairly easy to use. I was pulling for you on this one, but as I was reading the description of the induction heater and I noticed this: "2. Only some types of materials can be effectively induction heated - mostly magnetic materials such as steel. Materials such as brass, copper and aluminum will be very difficult to heat."

I wonder how much time it would take to heat the brass if possible, and the power consumption.

It would be great to find a relatively low cost solution to case annealing that is fairly easy to use. I was pulling for you on this one, but as I was reading the description of the induction heater and I noticed this: "2. Only some types of materials can be effectively induction heated - mostly magnetic materials such as steel. Materials such as brass, copper and aluminum will be very difficult to heat."

I wonder how much time it would take to heat the brass if possible, and the power consumption.
If it conducts electricity, you can induce a current - with ferrous metals you get hysteresis loss along with resistance loss from Eddy current, but any conductor will heat up.
That unit is too small but is cheap enough to experiment with.
It would need around 750 watts to get the heating time down to where it would work.

Received my birthday gifts from my wife (she found out what she gave me when I showed her 🤭) - can't wait to hit the range with the new chronograph (and hopefully not hit the chronograph)

The new version of the Lee bullet feeder has features moulded in for the "no bullet drop" modification - But they don't document it or include the metal spring plates you need to make it work.
Five minutes with tin snips and a file had it working. The Lee 356-102 bullet jams up in the die body on the lube groove (I'm certain a little Dremel work will fix that). No issues feeding jhp, TC or the 356-125-2r.
Now need to print out another bullet collator...

Going to also model up the die body to see if PLA will work - then I can make custom dies for bullets that don't feed as well.

Received my birthday gifts from my wife (she found out what she gave me when I showed her 🤭) - can't wait to hit the range with the new chronograph (and hopefully not hit the chronograph)

The new version of the Lee bullet feeder has features moulded in for the "no bullet drop" modification - But they don't document it or include the metal spring plates you need to make it work.
Five minutes with tin snips and a file had it working. The Lee 356-102 bullet jams up in the die body on the lube groove (I'm certain a little Dremel work will fix that). No issues feeding jhp, TC or the 356-125-2r.
Now need to print out another bullet collator...

Going to also model up the die body to see if PLA will work - then I can make custom dies for bullets that don't feed as well.
Happy Birthday!

Ran my first attempt at producing 6.5 CM on my Dillon 550 for PRS. Trying to match Hornady factory loads for 147g ELD match and 143 g ELD X hunting loads. Powder charges thrown by RCBS chargemaster and added by hand (since I was only doing 5 rounds of each powder weight.) SD larger than I would like (12-13) but most groups around .7 -.8 inch. I ran another set last night that I haven’t range tested yet.

Ran 500 9mm tonight my biggest run thus far. I bumped my charge up a tenth as I had a few weak ejections with last run. Almost ready to start producing some in bulk!
124gr Montana Gold CMJ
1.135 coal
4.1gr Sport Pistol
I also Mixed up some lube with alcohol and lanolin and this was first time using it. OMG so much smoother my arm thanks me.

I generally tell my wife I'm all set for my birthday and Father's Day for the amount of things I buy, but I still expect the super size bag of Swedish Fish.
dont often get what i want anyway so i just accept the small gifts and cake. Been asking for a Henry for many years. Thought of having a T shirt made up . All I want for Xmas is a -------------. Then start wearing it often several weeks before my birthday and Xmas

Ran another 200 9mm. Getting in the groove now. Few little tweaks I wanna do to the 550 though. For one I gotta tinker with spent primer tray. Cardboard, 3D printed extension, or the upgraded catch with new bowl and tube, dunno yet. I wanna swap out that pesky cotter pin seen where a lot of guys modify a finish nail. Also The gauging is getting old the shock bottle 100 round case gauge is looking NICE!

dont often get what i want anyway so i just accept the small gifts and cake. Been asking for a Henry for many years. Thought of having a T shirt made up . All I want for Xmas is a -------------. Then start wearing it often several weeks before my birthday and Xmas

Honestly, I don't want my wife to buy me anything like power tools or ammo/firearms related. She already knows a gift card that I can use towards them is much better, as I know exactly what I want. Again, give me the Swedish Fish and I'm happy.

I paced around and hit refresh on the shipping info link for my new press. It’s still not coming until Wednesday.

I’m just getting started out. How temperature sensitive are most reloading tools and components, if I’m dealing with an unheated/uncooled garage? Same as anything - protect the metal? Store primers and brass in the house? Is powder OK out there?

I paced around and hit refresh on the shipping info link for my new press. It’s still not coming until Wednesday.

I’m just getting started out. How temperature sensitive are most reloading tools and components, if I’m dealing with an unheated/uncooled garage? Same as anything - protect the metal? Store primers and brass in the house? Is powder OK out there?

Powder is best stored in a location that is dry. Beyond that it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom