What did you do in the reloading room recently?

What's the spot price on that redneck Gold? Is that a reputable hallmark?

Yuck, yuck!

I don't suppose anyone has any legitimate load data for 7.62x45mm, huh?

Since .277" diameter bullets are selling at discounts, I've been swaging them through my .243 Winchester sizer die to make .2685" bullets for a friend's Carcano. Haven't tested any yet, but we shall see.

So Ive decided to try unique for some 357 loads and give the 2400 a rest....I'm pretty damn sure it was a bad batch of powder with my squibs and unburned powder so I'm going to give unique a try using the same components and setup on the dies and see what happens.
I have lymans 50th.....and get get my own data..... but what do any unique lovers out there recommend for starting load with a 125 jsp and a 158 jsp for a decent 357 mag load through a carbine rifle? Does unique need magnum primers? I'm seeing on the aliant website with a 125 grain projo it's only 9.6 grains for 1300 fps loading.

So Ive decided to try unique for some 357 loads and give the 2400 a rest....I'm pretty damn sure it was a bad batch of powder with my squibs and unburned powder so I'm going to give unique a try using the same components and setup on the dies and see what happens.
I have lymans 50th.....and get get my own data..... but what do any unique lovers out there recommend for starting load with a 125 jsp and a 158 jsp for a decent 357 mag load through a carbine rifle? Does unique need magnum primers? I'm seeing on the aliant website with a 125 grain projo it's only 9.6 grains for 1300 fps loading.
I believe I have a pound of HP38 that I bought to reload some stuff for my brother before he turned into a asshat. You're more than welcome to it.

Let me hop in the way back machine.
Rossi 92 with the horrible 1:30 twist
I was loading 125 rnfp's (powdercoat lead) at near max with Unique.
I used mag primers .
I did get the best groups with it. I don't remember anything specifically horrible about the load, just that the rifle wasn't very good past 50 yds. I was lucky to get the black at 100.
I had better 100 yd groups with the 629 using Unique, so it wasn't the powder or the load.

Unique can be soot-city and smoke a lot below loads at 60% (?) of max.
It'll burn completely in a rifle barrel

Let me hop in the way back machine.
Rossi 92 with the horrible 1:30 twist
I was loading 125 rnfp's (powdercoat lead) at near max with Unique.
I used mag primers .
I did get the best groups with it. I don't remember anything specifically horrible about the load, just that the rifle wasn't very good past 50 yds. I was lucky to get the black at 100.
I had better 100 yd groups with the 629 using Unique, so it wasn't the powder or the load.

Unique can be soot-city and smoke a lot below loads at 60% (?) of max.
It'll burn completely in a rifle barrel
The Henry carbine is 1:16 twist.....I guess I'll just pray for better results than you got with the Rossi 🤣

You won't get magnum velocities with Unique or HP 38. If you want barn burners, stick with H110, W296, H4227, Lil' Gun and similar powders. Lil' Gun doesn't have data for the 125 grainers, however, it's more for use with the heavier bullets.

I've always been intrigued by the difference in pressures, at least as published in the Hodgdon data.
158g Hdy XTP with H110, W296 and H4227 is 40,700 CUP and up.
With Lil' Gun it is 25,800 CUP .
All are listed at 1520 fps or more. What does this mean?
Not quite as extreme a difference in the 170g and 180g bullets, but still quite a bit lower than the other three powders.

Last edited:
Wish I had money to burn I would buy that 20x20 steel building in the NES want adds and a oven

View: https://youtu.be/RnBVfGzwyuM

No need for magnum primers. I would just buy some more 2400 and load that. At least for the 158s. It’s a really awesome powder.
You won't get magnum velocities with Unique or HP 38. If you want barn burners, stick with H110, W296, H4227, Lil' Gun and similar powders. Lil' Gun doesn't have data for the 125 grainers, however, it's more for use with the heavier bullets.
With a 125 you get pretty damn close to what 2400 can do. It loses steam with the heavy bullets though and the speed gap is larger.

I've always been intrigued by the difference in pressures, at least as published in the Hodgdon data.
158g Hdy XTP with H110, W296 and H4227 is 40,700 CUP and up.
With Lil' Gun it is 25,800 CUP .
All are listed at 1520 fps or more. What does this mean?

You're not the first to notice that. I'm not sure I believe the data, though it could be that Lil'Gun simply has a lower peak pressure but higher pressure than its competitors over much of the burn time. Maybe somebody with Quickload can show it. I should probably go ahead and get a copy of Quickload. It's not like I can do much else, firearms-wise, with my money these days.

Anyway, it sounds like a good thing, but Lil'Gun seems to have developed a bad reputation for eroding forcing cones and for running hot. Perhaps it is all connected. I'd have to guess that heat is a factor in forcing cone erosion.

I had a bad experience with h110 eroding my forcing cone using 125 grain projos. Ruger replaced the barrel free of charge though.
I've seen bad erosion with Lil gun but haven't experienced any with H110 in my DW .44 MAG. I do only shoot FMJ through it if that matters at all. Barrel gap is checked periodically with the DW feeler gauge.

No need for magnum primers. I would just buy some more 2400 and load that. At least for the 158s. It’s a really awesome powder.

With a 125 you get pretty damn close to what 2400 can do. It loses steam with the heavy bullets though and the speed gap is larger.
This! 2400 is my go-to 357 magnum powder. The accuracy with 2400 + Zero 158 gr JHP/JSP is just silly to be honest. Frickin laser beam. Love that shit.

What's the spot price on that redneck Gold? Is that a reputable hallmark?

Yuck, yuck!

I don't suppose anyone has any legitimate load data for 7.62x45mm, huh?

Since .277" diameter bullets are selling at discounts, I've been swaging them through my .243 Winchester sizer die to make .2685" bullets for a friend's Carcano. Haven't tested any yet, but we shall see.
priceless!
I was looking at a Vz52 a few years ago, cool rifle. sorry no data? I hear from my short stint into back ground preping myself for ammo is that 6.5 carcano cases can be formed and 7.62x39 data seems to work...?

That's what I'm figuring for load data.
I have some 6.5x54MS and 6.5 Remington cases that are even closer than Carcano, so we'll use that for now. Thing is, he also shoots a Carcano, so that brass will be used for that.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom