• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Thanks guys yes that was a typo I’m between 1.123-1.128 and it is mixed brass. I went slow trying to be smooth as possible. Andrew my first thought was I wasn’t belling enough as well. I’ve set it so that projo just barely sits on top of case In my next batch I might try to adjust down a bit and see how that goes.
Don’t worry about that small amount of variation, they’ll shoot fine.

Just curious, are you seating and crimping separately?

Thanks guys yes that was a typo I’m between 1.123-1.128 and it is mixed brass. I went slow trying to be smooth as possible. Andrew my first thought was I wasn’t belling enough as well. I’ve set it so that projo just barely sits on top of case In my next batch I might try to adjust down a bit and see how that goes.

As others have said with mixed brass 1.12x is perfectly acceptable but *your* gun and it's reliability and accuracy with your reloads is the ultimate judge of that.

More cowbell....er, belling is probably also a good idea.

Have Fun. Be Safe.

bullets definately seated crooked.

Please excuse me if you've already checked this, I'm just trying to cover the bases. In the seating die, there's an insert that has two profiles. One is for rounded nose, the other is better for flat nose or semi wadcutters. The flat nose side isn't going to center up a round nose bullet as well as the other side.

I've never tried using coated bullets, just lead, plated, and jacketed. So take this for what it's worth. I usually get best results belling the case just enough so I'm not shaving off part of the bullet as I'm seating it.

I’m going to try to open up my bell a touch more and try that. Everything I read and watched was just barely bell so bullet will start so that’s what I did.
Lead and coated lead bullets like a bit more (cow)bell than plated or jacketed.

A very small adjustment on the case mouth expanding die may make a very noticeable difference, I've made way too much adjustment several times with the dillon expanders.

Definitely check the seating stem in the seating die, i think they start with the round stem by default. The shape of your bullets at the base, if they have a bevel or not, might change how they sit in/on the belled case

Thanks guys I do have the seating die setup for the round nose projo. They have a slight bevel as the base of projectile as well. I will say adjusting the bell is kinda PIA with the powder measure on top lol. It was by far the pickiest yo setup. If I’m lucky today after test fire I’ll make some small adjustments and run another fittie

Thanks guys I do have the seating die setup for the round nose projo. They have a slight bevel as the base of projectile as well. I will say adjusting the bell is kinda PIA with the powder measure on top lol. It was by far the pickiest yo setup. If I’m lucky today after test fire I’ll make some small adjustments and run another fittie
The look to me like they’re not seated deep enough and therefore not being held straight by the case. Like they just started crooked and never got pushed far enough to straighten out.

Oh! Don't get me wrong, I shoot it, too. It is the only semi that we have that my wife can rack. She doesn't quite get the grip safety, but it she is learning.
Grip safety on the performance center is larger so engages without thought - it's uncomfortable if you grip too hard but not offensively so.

Measuring to the tip versus a point on the ogive is also a source of variation in the measurements - seating depth might be spot on if the seater contacts on the ogive.

Cast up about an Akro bin and a half of the RNFP. Coated 2/3 and lube sized the other 1/3 that I cast while the first batch was baking. Also tossed in a few of the 215 grain and the 240 grain pictured here.
I was running short on time so I went with 2 coats instead of my normal 3.
I used some Bronze Hi-Tek I had laying around.
I think that puts me at about 5 Akro bins full of the 170 RNFP which should last me a while. Especially with what little shooting I’m doing during this pandemic.

46FFB5A8-1CD6-4057-9EE6-095B025D961C.jpeg

Cast up about an Akro bin and a half of the RNFP. Coated 2/3 and lube sized the other 1/3 that I cast while the first batch was baking. Also tossed in a few of the 215 grain and the 240 grain pictured here.
I was running short on time so I went with 2 coats instead of my normal 3.
I used some Bronze Hi-Tek I had laying around.
I think that puts me at about 5 Akro bins full of the 170 RNFP which should last me a while. Especially with what little shooting I’m doing during this pandemic.

View attachment 347574
Nice , just received a .452 sizer for my 450. The new Custom colored lube is looking good 822FFF77-9633-4E83-8028-63ED9B3A229C.jpeg

I like that!
Anything to get the kids interested in other things.
Even just for a small moment of learning. Tried getting them to help with the yard equipment repair. Oldest daughter was only interested if we where painting.
son wont go near it unless hes riding the mower.
youngest daughter, well everything in dads shed is still yucky.

Finally got around to processing a pile of .223 range pickups I had lying around...probably 300-400 pieces if I had to guess
I went and found every 223 case around my house/shed to box up to send off for processing.....and then this happened. so it sits. Im not hand trimming 4k plus pieces.

Just finished up about 3500 rounds between 9's and 40's, and just before that was about 2k between 5.56 and 7.62x51. This caused the ole 550b to come down with a bad case of arthritis. So I tore her down, gave her a nice cleaning and a good lube job. Put her back together and she's good to go again. Gonna take a little break and work on my wet tumble, adding another set of rollers so i can roll two drums at a time......

6814487F-031D-43A7-ACEE-AE6961FEF9B9.jpeg F9273241-0CDE-4E4C-B257-F538A01D20BF.jpeg 4D0EAD84-2092-4169-ACDB-67D240F6CDB0.jpeg 82D84A53-E623-4DE0-8774-B5C3B6D77C51.jpeg 93C58F35-930F-4BFE-8CC5-2F38ED09EEDA.jpeg 7ubaby8y.jpg

Just finished up about 3500 rounds between 9's and 40's, and just before that was about 2k between 5.56 and 7.62x51. This caused the ole 550b to come down with a bad case of arthritis. So I tore her down, gave her a nice cleaning and a good lube job. Put her back together and she's good to go again. Gonna take a little break and work on my wet tumble, adding another set of rollers so i can roll two drums at a time......

View attachment 347800View attachment 347801
That's very tedious stacking those like that. But it saves a lot of space. I did the same thing with one of those Federal 5.56 120 round bulk boxes. By alternating every other round and opposite over every subsequent layer I got a little over 200 rounds in there. It was a test of nerves to get the best pack possible in that little container. Good job!

Resized and primed another 400 .45acp this afternoon. The weather is not cooperating for outside things otherwise I'd have been out working in the garden.
I've got 3/4 of a thirty gallon plastic drum to go........slowly getting it done.

Back
Top Bottom