What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I have enough to reload more than 12k rounds, so its not like I'm hurting. I just kept buying bulk primers and finally reorganized my shelf and counted.

again...this probably belongs in the 'first world problems' thread. primers/powder/brass take priority in preparedness for the record. projectiles can be made with all your neighbors wheel weights.

I have been thinking about this for a while.
I feel like these plated and coated bullets have to hard of a alloy to obturate correctly. Swaged bullets are often soft alloy 10 bhn . The comercial casters run hard alloys. 15bhn or more. They do this for ease of casting and keeping them from getting beat up during transport. ? I also think the lack of bullet lube on the coated and plated bullets with lube grooves prevents sealing even more?
These are all good points. What I've kind of deducted for my uses..... is that plated projos are for plate shoots and plinking where accuracy just needs to be ok. Swaged lead in my 1911 has been amazing as long as the velocity is kept around 800fps so it's not a "fighting load" it's a target load. Cast has been in between from my testing.......slightly better than plated but not as accurate as swaged.....but the smoke from the lube is just a pain in the ass when using cast in my 1911. On the indoor range everyone stops and stares 🤣🤣. It makes me feel self conscious. 🤣🤣

I'm having a problem with reloads in an AR15. Some rounds don't chamber completly and when I pull the trigger, I get a click instead of a bang. Extraction is very difficult. I'm guessing the sizing die is worn so today I'll try some ammo loaded with a different sizing die. This problem occurs in several rifles and does not occur with factory ammo. If it's not a sizing issue, I'm at a loss.

I'm having a problem with reloads in an AR15. Some rounds don't chamber completly and when I pull the trigger, I get a click instead of a bang. Extraction is very difficult. I'm guessing the sizing die is worn so today I'll try some ammo loaded with a different sizing die. This problem occurs in several rifles and does not occur with factory ammo. If it's not a sizing issue, I'm at a loss.

Could be a seating or length issue.
Could be a sizing issue. Could be the shoulder.

Break out the calipers and measure reload vs factory, including the case diameter at 3 or 4 spots.

Pick up an RCBS small base die set.

Interesting, since I was going to reach out for a similar issue. I noticed lately when reloading 55 gr Hornady FMJ-BT that after seating some rounds don't quite make it in the caliber gauge. All brass was full length resized. I checked a bunch of the brass in the gauge prior to seating and they all "plunk" easily. After loading the rounds some "plunk" and some don't in the gauge. The bullet dimensions are okay, and I've measured some wall thicknesses, ID's, and OD's of cases to try to diagnose, and can't find a smoking gun. Could seating the bullet affect the shoulder? The COAL is below max. The case lengths are 1.75 to 1.742". I tried a few random rounds in my AR and they chamber okay, but I am concerned about the rest.

Needless to say, I will be watching the suggestions here.

Interesting, since I was going to reach out for a similar issue. I noticed lately when reloading 55 gr Hornady FMJ-BT that after seating some rounds don't quite make it in the caliber gauge. All brass was full length resized. I checked a bunch of the brass in the gauge prior to seating and they all "plunk" easily. After loading the rounds some "plunk" and some don't in the gauge. The bullet dimensions are okay, and I've measured some wall thicknesses, ID's, and OD's of cases to try to diagnose, and can't find a smoking gun. Could seating the bullet affect the shoulder? The COAL is below max. The case lengths are 1.75 to 1.742". I tried a few random rounds in my AR and they chamber okay, but I am concerned about the rest.

This is where this stuff comes in handy-

Could be a click an no bang is high primers or primer too hard for the firing pin and hammer, or worn out springs. Its several rifles, so lets not rule that out.
But, its not chambering either and hard to extract so.........

Casings or dud rounds will always leave tell tale marks on chambering or extraction. If the case length is below max, and the cartrige o.a.l. is below max, then we've eliminated that. Assmuing the bullet profile itself isn't getting hung up on the rifling on chambering or extraction (due to being loaded too long or a "fat spot")
I don't know how to explain it other than a 55 gr projo will expose more of the ogive (I think thats the correct term) than say a 68 gr b.t.h.p. Ones longer than the other, so theres more taper (again, not exactly sure what the term is) than the other.

Another thing to look at is what Mike had mentioned, small base dies vs. .................not small base.
If there isn't any visible clash marks on the case (most of the time there is) then that dykem blue fluid will definetly show where the problem lies. On the shoulder, on the neck, on the case head, it'll be there somewhere.

Could also be a worn out buffer spring, but if the reloads are having an issue across multiple rifles, we can eliminate that as well. Unless all the buffer springs are tired.

Now heres the full on disclaimer- I haven't loaded rifle in about 8 years, so I'm pulling off of problems and solutions I've had in the past. I'm sure there are way better solutions out there than what I can come up with.

These are all good points. What I've kind of deducted for my uses..... is that plated projos are for plate shoots and plinking where accuracy just needs to be ok. Swaged lead in my 1911 has been amazing as long as the velocity is kept around 800fps so it's not a "fighting load" it's a target load. Cast has been in between from my testing.......slightly better than plated but not as accurate as swaged.....but the smoke from the lube is just a pain in the ass when using cast in my 1911. On the indoor range everyone stops and stares 🤣🤣. It makes me feel self conscious. 🤣🤣
I love the smoke, especially when some says there is something wrong with your ammo.
For target work will load low and slow if it functions my pistol with out mods and prints inside the black at 25 yards its a good load.

Are you full length resizing? If so do you have your die set low enough in the holder?

If you're not full length resizing you should unless you're specifically making small batch match ammo.

I've never see a sizing die wear out.
for a die to wear out it would need to be a serious heat treat issue from manufacture and you would need to use lapping compound for lube! Commercial manufactures might put some wear on tooling?

Last edited:
Are you using the same shell holder with the die set each time you use the die in question? Have you reset the dies? Was the brass range pick up ?
What press are you loading on?

Last edited:

my case gauge (wilson) will not accept some of my 223 brass. Usually there is extrator or ejector damage on the case rim and or 223 shot in tbe AR tends to bend your brass like a banana. It will chamber in a rifle usually but wont in a case gauge.

Yeah I would definitely make sure the sizing die is screwed down far enough. If you're using mixed brass there will be some variation in how the brass is resized so make sure it's screwed in far enough.

my case gauge (wilson) will not accept some of my 223 brass. Usually there is extrator or ejector damage on the case rim and or 223 shot in tbe AR tends to bend your brass like a banana. It will chamber in a rifle usually but wont in a case gauge.

I tested a bunch of sized random cases prior to and after loading. All cases (unloaded) easily "plunked" in the gauge. Most just fell short (not by much) of "plunking" when loaded. That is why I'm wondering if seating the bullet is somehow affecting the shoulder.

Took a break from reloading and did some mechanical stuff. First, tore down one of my RL550b's and gave her a complete overhaul and lube job. Then I decided to upgrade my wet tumbler so i can tumble two drums at a time instead of one. I can do 10-12 lbs. of brass in each one. Just finishing it up now, have to get another v-belt for the two center rollers and install 4 offtrack bearings in case the tubes decide to wander a bit. First pic is version 1, the rest are the upgraded model........

View attachment 348994
View attachment 348995View attachment 348996View attachment 348997View attachment 348998View attachment 348999View attachment 349000
That's awesome and I think incredibly nifty!, LOL, wish I had a little ingenuity in my blood... I have some skills but I'm lacking in the ingenuity department. Great work!!! Love it.

I use a Redding body die. Part number 75111

Are your loaded rounds fitting in a case guage?

I have enough to reload more than 12k rounds, so its not like I'm hurting. I just kept buying bulk primers and finally reorganized my shelf and counted.
I inventoried around 9k in primers and I'm getting nervous.

Need to find some 55g 223 projectiles (but then I'll be looking for more primers and powder)

Hitek - no more smoke and cleans up with a couple of patches

I have a large inventory of 38 SPL that is lubed cast - I only shoot them when no one is around.

I inventoried around 9k in primers and I'm getting nervous.

Need to find some 55g 223 projectiles (but then I'll be looking for more primers and powder)
9k?! Okay now I feel better with what I have [laugh] . Though I could use more small rifle primers possibly. Got about 2500 of those. Most of my primers are small pistol as that's what I shoot the most of...well normally when we have matches...[crying]

I remember thinking it was amazing to hear people were stocking 10k+ primers when I first started reloading. Then Sandy Hook happened years later and I found out why people stacked so deep.

I primarily only stock CCI400. I use them for rifle and pistol. Simplifies the inventory. I do stock smaller quantities of CCI41s for hotter 77gr loads.

I remember thinking it was amazing to hear people were stocking 10k+ primers when I first started reloading. Then Sandy Hook happened years later and I found out why people stacked so deep.
I thought it was amazing too when I started gathering components in early 2012....then SH hit and I realized why also [laugh]

I only have 1000 LRM primers and I'm getting nervous. The only upside is it take a long while before my shoulder can take that much abuse haha.

I had wanted to start reloading for .223/5.56 but it seems like now is the worst time component wise.
I dunno. Cost and availability of 223 now definitely makes it worthwhile to reload. But finding components can be a little tough. Especially now that shops like Shooters Outpost have closed.

I dunno. Cost and availability of 223 now definitely makes it worthwhile to reload. But finding components can be a little tough. Especially now that shops like Shooters Outpost have closed.

HOLY f***! Shooters closed?!?!?!\

that was literally my motivation for coming 'back home' to visit soon. well, THAT and the matches at OCSA with the regular crew.

...sorry mom, I might not make it :(

I had my first ever large pistol dud primer today when I was shooting the DW 744. Pulled the bullet then reloaded the case since it was my only clean 44 mag case I had.
Also noticed tonight when I was cleaning the DW, that one of the scope rings was loose on the scope mount. First time I’ve tightened them down in thousands of rounds so not bad.

I had my first ever large pistol dud primer today when I was shooting the DW 744. Pulled the bullet then reloaded the case since it was my only clean 44 mag case I had.
Also noticed tonight when I was cleaning the DW, that one of the scope rings was loose on the scope mount. First time I’ve tightened them down in thousands of rounds so not bad.
What do you shoot out of the DW? I've always been worried about leading my barrel etc. So I shoot XTPs and Sierra bullets out of mine that I find cheap but I need some alternatives besides full house magnum loads.

Back
Top Bottom