What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Shot my first 7 rounds loaded Shooters World Auto Pistol in .357M. I tried just one with a 158gr Zero JHP at 9.5 grains, but that was inside the Lovex data range. For the 180gr MBC RNFP's, I loaded up 8.0-8.5 grains, just one load each, in 0.1 grain increments. I just came up with this range with a little back-of-the-envelope calculation, but it seemed about right, with 8.0gr being obviously light, and 8.5gr being much louder with more recoil (not that recoil was much). No pressure signs. It was hard to distinguish the 8.5gr fired case from the 8.0gr one, so the upper limit may be conservative, but I like it that way. This is not the right powder for chasing higher velocities in 357M, I think. If it's not the right powder with a moderate load, it's not right powder.

Just received a sample pack of 158 gr RNFP hitek coated bullets to try in the Henry. Setting COAL at crimp groove is ~1.56". Not finding load data at this length so will start with low end loads normally used for longer lengths using 2400 and CFE Pistol.

The .44 round ball loads that shot so well out of a rifle, shot lousy out of 2 handguns. The .45 Colt round ball loads also shot lousy out of a handgun and I don't have a rifle in .45 Colt. I don't know why they don't work in a handgun. Maybe the Trailboss doesn't burn well in the shorter barrel.

I don't know why they don't work in a handgun. Maybe the Trailboss doesn't burn well in the shorter barrel.

This is a very low pressure load? Powders can be weird at very low pressures. I once mentioned that I liked Universal to an old shotgunner, who replied to me that he had tried Universal in shotshells when it first came out and found it to be very dirty. He used the word "greasy", IIRC. I, OTOH, have observed it to be extremely clean-burning in revolver cartridges. Both could easily be true if Universal requires a certain threshold pressure to burn cleanly.

Still, I wonder whether there might be an explanation having more to do with the projectiles. Be interesting to try a different powder or a stiffer load (even if that is not your ultimate goal) to see if the results depend on the powder or are independent of it.

Did up 17 rounds of 8mm Mauser for the K98 today. Meant to try one of the Shooters World powders but absent-mindedly filled the powder hopper with more Accurate 2495. Have had decent results with it and 150gr Hornady.

After I exhaust the 120 or so of those projectiles, I'll move on to my 200gr Nosler Custom Comps to see if I can develop a load for CMP.

These guys make for some lightweight ammo to carry around at 114 grains (60g bullet) per round.
FWIW, using the 65g ARX bullet in Blazer Al 9x19mm ends up being 95g.

Attachments

• .380RNP.jpg
    .380RNP.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 13
Did up 17 rounds of 8mm Mauser for the K98 today. Meant to try one of the Shooters World powders but absent-mindedly filled the powder hopper with more Accurate 2495. Have had decent results with it and 150gr Hornady.

After I exhaust the 120 or so of those projectiles, I'll move on to my 200gr Nosler Custom Comps to see if I can develop a load for CMP.
Those are nice especially if you picked them up on sale. i have a few hundred left from a sale a few years ago. I have a decent reduced load with H4895 that will hold ten ring when I can. i have not really worked up a load into the higher fps yet.
i rung cast more in the old bolt guns

What are fellow 44 mag reloaders using for a crimp die? I’m not liking the resistance with the lee FCD due to the sizing ring.

Thought about grabbing a Redding profile crimp die. Thoughts?

What are fellow 44 mag reloaders using for a crimp die? I’m not liking the resistance with the lee FCD due to the sizing ring.

Not a fan of the factory crimp die. I only used it for 357 and 45, both with lead and coated lead, but the die sizes the bullet smaller than it was initially sized from the bullet manufacturer, for me resulting in poor accuracy.

I use Dillon dies
That being said when I have used Lee dies in the past I've used an extra seat/crimp die set up just to crimp. So 2 of the same dies, one for crimp and one for seat.
I've read online that some guys give the carbine ring a sharp whack with a hammer to bust the ring out. They you're left with a collet crimp die that doesn't size.

I wish lee offered their pistol collet crimp dies the same way the do their rifle dies. No stupid sizing ring.
I might have a 44 mag lee seating/crimp die if you want it.

The Lee FCD is OK with .429 or .430 bullets in good brass. Sucky brass like GFL hates it, especially with the Zero .431 bullets. I just crimp in a separate step with the seating die when loading GFL brass. Come to think of it, in 44, I only use the FCD anymore for the 180gr XTPs I got for free.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the factory crimp die. I only used it for 357 and 45, both with lead and coated lead, but the die sizes the bullet smaller than it was initially sized from the bullet manufacturer, for me resulting in poor accuracy.
This is my concern since I’m using softer (cowboy action, hardness is 12) coated .430 bullets and don’t want to size/swage the bullets. And the resistance of the round coming out of the die made it really annoying to reload.

I use Dillon dies
That being said when I have used Lee dies in the past I've used an extra seat/crimp die set up just to crimp. So 2 of the same dies, one for crimp and one for seat.
I've read online that some guys give the carbine ring a sharp whack with a hammer to bust the ring out. They you're left with a collet crimp die that doesn't size.

I wish lee offered their pistol collet crimp dies the same way the do their rifle dies. No stupid sizing ring.
I might have a 44 mag lee seating/crimp die if you want it.
Didn’t realize that the seating die could apply a crimp. That would be an easy cheaper option.
Lee makes a collet 44 mag crimp die but it says it applies a rifle like crimp??
44 Magnum Custom Carbide Factory Crimp Die - Lee Precision

I’m currently bidding on a used Redding die on eBay lol. $18 shipped so far. I won’t go much higher as a new one from midway is like $35 shipped.

What would it take to remove the sizing ring, I wonder. Would it retain the crimping collar with the sizing ring removed?
I read on other forums that people had to use heat, mount it in a vise, and insert a 1/2" bolt to use as a punch. They said it required some serious whacks with a sledgehammer [shocked]

Didn’t realize that the seating die could apply a crimp. That would be an easy cheaper option.

I’m currently bidding on a used Redding die on eBay lol. $18 shipped so far. I won’t go much higher as a new one from midway is like $35 shipped.

Most seating dies also have a crimp function.

Nice that’s the one you want. I use their collet crimp dies and have liked them so far.

Now that I think about it I did try one in 45 colt and I’m not sure if it was out of spec or not but it didn’t give a good roll into the crimp groove.
Maybe stick with the Redding or standard seat/crimp from lee.

I have a set of 44 mag RCBS dies that o don't use - it's an old set with a little exterior surface rust but inside is bright.

3-die set
Size
Decap/flare
Seat/crimp

I can also 3d print a seating die with a custom stem for your bullet profile.

Just finished installing three sets of Magpul MBUS flip up rear sights on some spare ARs. Its raining now or I'd step out back and zero them. Will work them in tomorrow.

My impression is that the crimp applied by most seating dies is a roll crimp. Fine for 44mag with a cannelure, but if you want a taper crimp you need to use a separate die.

My impression is that the crimp applied by most seating dies is a roll crimp. Fine for 44mag with a cannelure, but if you want a taper crimp you need to use a separate die.
Lee 3 die carbide set has a seating and crimping built in. Problem i think with the lee is its a "2 stage crimp" you adjust lightly for a taper and adjust more to get a roll crimp.
I have rcbs and lee 38spl seater/crimp dies and I like the crimp on the rcbs better.
also I find lee less forgiving seater/crimp die with mixed head stamp brass. the rcbs seems to have a little more give for the mixed brass ?

Just finished cleaning my ARs that I zeroed yeasterday and today.

At 25 meter zero, Wolf steel cased 55gr was more accurate than Wolf Gold brass cased 55gr. Tighter groups, more accurate impacts.

Who'd have thunk it?

Last edited:
:D Thats what I thought too, so I fired another 30 rnd mag of each on fresh targets just to confirm what I was seeing. The steel cased stuff held tighter groups at point of aim.
Are you telling me you put 30 rounds of each at 25 meters?
Im a bit stumped
are you saying the steel impacted your point of aim and the wolf did not?
or are you saying steel grouped better than gold.
Pics? What type of groups.

Are you telling me you put 30 rounds of each at 25 meters?
Im a bit stumped
are you saying the steel impacted your point of aim and the wolf did not?
or are you saying steel grouped better than gold.
Pics? What type of groups.

The steel cased Wolf held a tighter group than the brass cased Wolf Gold from same rifle.

Did up fifty 30-06 last night, 25 for the M1, 25 using necksized cases for the M1917.
Getting the itch to shoot the Model 15 so I think 38spl will be next, when I run out of my current Remington bullets I'll try the Zero ones.

The steel cased Wolf held a tighter group than the brass cased Wolf Gold from same rifle.
Sounds funny but i ran into all sorts of inconsistent results testing different ammo/bullets with out cleaning the bore between testing.
Also if your shooting 30 rounds of X then 30 rounds of Y the barrel had heated and can produce poor comparison results
Try shooting 20 rounds alternating shots on 2 targets

I have had some impressive groups from steel cased ammo . The problem lies in consistency. I have pulled siwn some wolf milclassic to find a wide range of powder charges, at least 2 different powders and a 15 grain swing in bullets 55-69 with some +/- variables

How big are your groups

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom