• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Damned if I didn't win the other auction on Gunbroker I had bid on before winning the 2500 12 guage hulls. WT actual F. I seriously couldn't have offered a lower bid if I tried Well I think I might be the only person I actually know who owns 3500 empty Winchester AA Red 12 guage hulls. Now I have to buy a couple of plastic totes to store all these in. Good thing Lowes has them on sale today for less than a fiver apiece

Let me know if you want to get rid of some. I'm finishing my reloading bench and then going to crank some out for the summer clays season.

Looks like Alliant is offering a rebate of $2/lb.

I've never used any of their stuff--anyone have experience? One vendor's doing flat $10 hazmat with 4lbs purchase so there's some savings potential.

I've never used any of their stuff--anyone have experience? One vendor's doing flat $10 hazmat with 4lbs purchase so there's some savings potential.
2400, Power Pistol, Sport Pistol, Bullseye, and RL-15 have worked well for me.

I love Alliant Reloader 7 for 6.8 SPC. It's great for 90gr TNTs and Gold Dots.
2400, Power Pistol, Sport Pistol, Bullseye, and RL-15 have worked well for me.
Nice.

I've heard of a few of their powders--mostly handgun like Power Pistol, Bullseye and Unique.
On the rifle side I've occasionally read about people using various Reloder [sic] options. I know they have an AR-Comp powder as well, but haven't heard anything about it really.

For pistols I'm pretty satisfied with Win231 at present so I would probably be more likely to consider rifle options.

Maybe I should just use up stuff I've got and wait to see if anyone offers a really good deal. I don't seem to get the "Free hazmat" and/or "free shipping" offers on powder as frequently as I used to. Feels like it used to be every three months or so someone had a really nice offer available.

Not your general plinking ammo, but it's always good to try different loads (actually, the 100g frangible HP run about 6¢ a pop, on sale, which is decent)...

Attachments

• .30-06Frang..jpg
    .30-06Frang..jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 16
  • .100gr_frangible_9mm_bullets_fo_640.jpg
    .100gr_frangible_9mm_bullets_fo_640.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 15
Cracked open a can of M2 ball HXP 78 vintage for the M1 garand match in the morning.
My recently re taken reloading room is again full of stuff for more work in the basement. So it was tough getting some 223 and 308 loaded up for the match. By the time i was done with those I had no energy left to do the 06.

I wanted to make a .44 gallery load so I loaded a .433 round ball with 2.5 grains of Trailboss in .44 Spl. brass. It cycled in the lever action model 92 and was very quiet but accuracy at 25 yards was about 4" from a 16" barrel. That's unacceptable. There's no other readily available diameter so I'll have to work on the powder charge.

Ran my AA2520 .223 loads yesterday without a hitch.
Tumbled a mix of 38spl, 30-06 and .223. Then trimmed about 80 necksized '06 from my Eddystone and about 15 x54R for my 91/30.
Really getting close to pulling the trigger on the Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I've convinced myself I can crank out tons of rounds to offset the costs.

Unique. I use that for my 38 spl loads.
Unique. I use it for my 45ACP loads
Unique. I use that for my 12 ga trap loads.
Unique. I use it for my 35 Rem cast boolit loads.
I like Unique.

Unique. I use that for my 38 spl loads.
Unique. I use it for my 45ACP loads
Unique. I use that for my 12 ga trap loads.
Unique. I use it for my 35 Rem cast boolit loads.
I like Unique.
Yup Unique. Primarily started using it for the 12ga along with 700x now it's just Unique.
You can load over a thousand rounds of 9's and 45's with a pound it. The only downside is
it's a dirty powder. My son uses Titegroup which is very clean. CFE pistol is one I would
consider also for 9's and 45's but I have enough Unique to outlast me.
45ACP Unique
9mm Unique
12ga Unique

Speaking of flake powders that are good for light .357M loads, I just loaded 100 rounds of light .357M with Universal. The process I've adapted to cope with my past disappointment with how well it meters in my powder drop works pretty well, though in the first place the new can seems to meter better than the dregs of the last one. Only remember a few charges weren't within +/- 0.1 grain. One of those was +0.3, the other two +0.2. Nothing to worry about, though I'd rather not have these outliers.

Had a partial pack of primers from some toying around so I loaded 5 rounds of 38 special each with 2-70 grain wadcutters stacked inside.
Then loaded the other 60 with the 358-130 bullets pictured. Coated with Hi-Tek black for a sexy look.
Lyman says 4.5 grains of bullseye should get me about 1000 FPS with these. I’m guessing another 150 or 200 out of the 1873 based off of bullseye with a 358156.
8A6F851A-36AD-49F7-84F1-94D3F0C72F95.jpeg

I've used 296/H110 for full power magnum handgun loads but it binds up the powder measure. Does anyone else have this problem? The powder measure is a Dillon.
Yes. I have a bunch of Dillon measured and I find some are looser and some are tighter.
I have one that will spill more fine powder than it loads.
Maybe try another powder bar if you have it. See if it’s a tighter fit to prevent it from leaking and gumming up the works

The pistol insert works fine in my Hornady drop with fine spherical powders, including H120/296. Since my press isn’t progressive, I just set it up so that I actuate twice with 44 magnum. I thought the cavernous measuring chamber on the rifle insert would be overkill. Now I’m wondering whether my laziness avoided making a mess. Usually it’s the other way around.

Last edited:
Continuing my quest for a .44 gallery load, I loaded a .433 round ball in .44 magnum brass with 3.5 grains of Trailboss. Recoil is almost non-existent and 25 yard accuracy is slightly less than the width of a soda can but it's about as loud as a .22 long rifle out of a rifle. That's pretty quiet for a .44 magnum but I think it's still too loud for backyard plinking.

Continuing my quest for a .44 gallery load, I loaded a .433 round ball in .44 magnum brass with 3.5 grains of Trailboss. Recoil is almost non-existent and 25 yard accuracy is slightly less than the width of a soda can but it's about as loud as a .22 long rifle out of a rifle. That's pretty quiet for a .44 magnum but I think it's still too loud for backyard plinking.
Are you shooting out of a rifle or revolver?
Assuming you cast or have access to casting due to the .433 round balls.

Try taking a 44 mag mould. Drop a gas check into the driving band section of the mould and close the blocks. Now you sectioned off the base of the bullet and can cast a wadcutter. From my experience they shoot better than the round balls. The long bearing surface gives you a better powder burn.
This pic reminds me that a glue bullet and a primer in a case with the flash hole drilled out to 1/8” makes for fun quiet backyard shooting too.

Attachments

• 9595A464-2520-45C4-BF19-51FFBE90497A.jpeg
    9595A464-2520-45C4-BF19-51FFBE90497A.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 14
Primed eighty cases of 7.62x54R. New powder measure should be here tomorrow, going to try it on Friday night if all goes according to plan.

Not much reloading lately. Today I just tumbled some 357 mag and 9mm brass.

I did order a sample pack of coated cowboy Missouri Bullet 44 cal 210 grainers to see if they won’t lead as much in my DW. The hardness is 12 and it’s their coybow action bullets so this should be what I need for my powder puff 44 loads.

Back
Top Bottom