• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

The used Redding 44 mag crimp die showed up today. Based on the design of the box, I’d imagine it’s relatively old. My Redding 7.5x55 dies came in a hard plastic case not a cardboard/paper box. Anyway, it’s in great condition though. Not bad for $18
A3852FBA-D0B6-433A-94FA-B16ACB5629D5.jpeg

@1919FAN and I got to test a few bullets in the new clear ballistic gel that showed up today.

Lots of fun!
BAFDAF1D-98B0-41FE-83B4-DECC41AEE06D.jpeg
45 ACP 230 Ranger T

38 Special 130? HST Micro From a snubby

Same bullet but from a carbine

MP 38-148 HB wadcutter loaded backward out of a snubby

Pure lead 158 SWC out of a 4” barrel

Same bullet out of carbine

Some 9mm craziness.

@1919FAN and I got to test a few bullets in the new clear ballistic gel that showed up today.

Lots of fun!
View attachment 284828
45 ACP 230 Ranger T

38 Special 130? HST Micro From a snubby

Same bullet but from a carbine

MP 38-148 HB wadcutter loaded backward out of a snubby

Pure lead 158 SWC out of a 4” barrel

Same bullet out of carbine

Some 9mm craziness.
Sounds like a great time! Those first 3 expanded very nicely. Surprised to see the expansion of that SWC.

Loaded up a small array of 45 Colt loads with Shooters World Auto Pistol to work up some load data for this powder in that caliber. I did have one line of load data from Lovex, so I had a starting point. Will chrono them when I shoot them tomorrow. I'm not sure why I do this. :) I shot a 100 rounds of .38 special +P loaded with Auto Pistol last Monday out of a Rossi 92. I was disappointed to see the little granules in the cases after they were fired. The first patch came out pretty dirty, reminded me of black powder, and it shot a little smokey. On the bright side, the dirty patches didn't last much after the second. I had the bore clean (to my standards) after 4 patches. Can't complain about that. We'll see how it goes.

Sounds like a great time! Those first 3 expanded very nicely. Surprised to see the expansion of that SWC.
I think I had it backwards. The SWC was out of the snubby and the WC was out of the 4”.
The WC alloy eas a little hard. I bet pure lead out of a snubby would have been impressive.
That’s next week.

Last night I loaded up some Auto Pistol (Lovex D036-3) 45 Colt loads to test and chrono in my Henry rifle. Today I shot them. I ended up settling on the same charges as I had used for HS-6, with essentially the same velocities. It kind of looks like HS-6. I'm not saying that it is HS-6 (Winchester 540), just that in 45 Colt it is very similar (maybe same formula).

Friend of mine has never shot a bolt action and chose to try the Mauser so I did up 38 rounds with AA2495. Killed of my second of three pounds. Also killed off the last of the CCI large rifle primers I had, so I'll start breaking into the 5k Winchesters I have. Sized up a whole bunch of 223 as well, going to do 20-30 rounds of a few different powders and see how it goes. Next is Tactical Rifle, then probably CFE 223.

Looks like Winchester is running a 25% rebate on primers, going to need more small rifle since I'm loading 223 again.

Looks like Winchester is running a 25% rebate on primers.
Yep. I'm in the process of ordering a couple cases of pistol primers to split with a friend. With discounts plus rebates, it works out to $23 per 1k shipped. Can't beat it.

They really need to stop these rebates and discounts/sales as it keeps costing me money....

Just put 1000 Wolf Military Classic .223 55gr. in plastic ammo cans then canned up all my .44mag/.44spl XTP reloads and shot shells and 6 boxes of .50cal lead balls for the muzzle loader.

Found a couple of .30 cal cans full of 174gr .308 FMJ boat tail match bullets that I stashed and forgot I had. I can see why I put them in .30 cans.....heavy!

...so I did up 38 rounds with AA2495. Killed of my second of three pounds...

The full-power loads really eat up the powder (although I don't see any 8mm loads w/AA2495 on the AA website)
You'll have to start loading some reduced loads to stretch your round count per pound of powder.
I know it won't give you that manly recoil and muzzle blast, but you can still hit accurately and get a lot more enjoyable trigger time with one pound of powder.
Perhaps not suitable for hunting, but I have shot plenty of 6.5 Swede loads with around 7 grains of pistol powder and they still shoot better than I can.

The full-power loads really eat up the powder (although I don't see any 8mm loads w/AA2495 on the AA website)
You'll have to start loading some reduced loads to stretch your round count per pound of powder.
I know it won't give you that manly recoil and muzzle blast, but you can still hit accurately and get a lot more enjoyable trigger time with one pound of powder.
Perhaps not suitable for hunting, but I have shot plenty of 6.5 Swede loads with around 7 grains of pistol powder and they still shoot better than I can.
My manual has a load for AA2495 w/ 150 gr Hornadys, which is what I was using--45 grains.
I had been doing the "low end" for most of my fun loads, but was finding a good amount of soot, which my understanding was due to poor gas sealing from the light loads. On 303 British in particular I have tried to remain "light" in order to try to prolong the brass life. That is to say, if the manual gives 38-45 as a range, I'd go probably 39 or 40 grains.

Yes, you'll have some less than ideal situations, but you still get a lot more fun per pound.
FWIW, I just fired some factory .45 Colts (American Eagle LRNFP) in a friend's 94 AE and they were almost covered with "soot'.
My neighbor acquired a 1943 No.1 Mklll* without a magazine and I ran all manner of rounds through it; what a blast. My M1 Carbine bullet mould (130g LRN Lyman 311410) drops at .313" or so and works fine for eco-loads in the Brit (and others). If you pursue this line of reloading, I'm sure someone out there offers inexpensive coated bullets that will work in the .303. I know Norman in NM has a 200g GC bullet.
Have fun, whatever path you take...

My manual has a load for AA2495 w/ 150 gr Hornadys, which is what I was using--45 grains.
I had been doing the "low end" for most of my fun loads, but was finding a good amount of soot, which my understanding was due to poor gas sealing from the light loads. On 303 British in particular I have tried to remain "light" in order to try to prolong the brass life. That is to say, if the manual gives 38-45 as a range, I'd go probably 39 or 40 grains.

How many additional reloads do you get out of a cartridge by going light? I can't imagine you're getting more than 2 or 3, right?

How many additional reloads do you get out of a cartridge by going light? I can't imagine you're getting more than 2 or 3, right?
In the example of going from 45 grains to 40, you would get 19 more (almost 20, but not quite).

ETA: that's based on one lb. of powder
ETA2: Misunderstood what was being asked, sorry about that.

Last edited:
This is dependent on brass/resize and chamber condition.
Often “303” chambers are pretty “loose” most modern brass is not made to british standards. Remington and winchester 303 rims are thin compared to surplus brit and PPU brass.
Im on 8th reload of PPU brass and I just started shooting some HXP ammo that andrew hooked me up with a few years back. So far it looks like it will go many loadings as long as you dont resize your brass to far back.
I only neck size my 303.
I dont generally load full house loads. For 100 yard fun its 2400 or trail boss. Then its reduced loads of H4895 and all sorts of bullet size

Not to be redundant, but here's a real-life scenario in 6.5x55mm:
Lyman 266469 140g LRNGC over 6.5g W473AA (1076 rounds per pound) vs. 140g jacketed over 44.0g Hybrid 100V (159 rounds per pound).
6.5g will punch paper, knock bowling pins and plates down, perhaps not a buffalo silhouette at 200 yards, but I'd have to be able to hit it first!
BTW, I spare the gas checks on these light loads; not needed.

P6260020.JPG

Granted, two totally different loads with different points of impact, but it does give you plenty more trigger time per pound of powder (not that consuming more powder is going to keep shooters from the range).
If you have a proven load that shoots to point of aim, you may not want to change things. It may be a method to get the wife and kids more interested in shooting the centerfires, too.

Last edited:
Just finished cutting the UPC’s from 10 winchester small pistol primer boxes and mailed out the redemption form.
Anyone else jump on the winchester primer rebate?

Last edited:
Cast and coated some .452's Monday. Loaded 50 .45 Colt today.

Have also been banging out some midrange 357 mag here and there over the past week and a half on the 650.

Picked up some Winchester primers as well.

Need to make some space in the basement for a dedicated casting workspace. I think I'd be at it more often if I didnt have to make room, set everything up and break everything down every time.
20190527_173925.jpg 20190529_180741.jpg

Cast and coated some .452's Monday. Loaded 50 .45 Colt today.

Have also been banging out some midrange 357 mag here and there over the past week and a half on the 650.

Picked up some Winchester primers as well.

Need to make some space in the basement for a dedicated casting workspace. I think I'd be at it more often if I didnt have to make room, set everything up and break everything down every time.
View attachment 286781View attachment 286782
Those are purty

Yeah kind of a shitty pic though. Blurry for some reason. Purposely used new cases because I figured it would look good with the metallic green [laugh]
Sure does look good. Are you using a Lee FCD for crimping? Just curious.
I tested that 44 mag Redding profile crimp die last week and it was soooo nice to not have resistance when the round goes into the crimp die. Don’t seem to have this issue with 357.

Sure does look good. Are you using a Lee FCD for crimping? Just curious.
I tested that 44 mag Redding profile crimp die last week and it was soooo nice to not have resistance when the round goes into the crimp die. Don’t seem to have this issue with 357.
Yeah Im using the crimp die that came with the Lee set so Im assuming its a FCD. Not so crazy about that scrapey feeling when I push the round up in there but havent had any issues so I guess I got used to it. Iirc, I may have started a thread back in the day regarding that. Just feels wrong, but I guess thats how it is.

125 .223 cases chamfered, deburred and primed while watching the Bruins last night.
Loading some 303 British tonight for Friday. This weekend I'm planning to make some 38spl for the first time using the electronic scale/dispenser.

125 .223 cases chamfered, deburred and primed while watching the Bruins last night.
Loading some 303 British tonight for Friday. This weekend I'm planning to make some 38spl for the first time using the electronic scale/dispenser.
I'm sure I've asked you before but my memory sucks lol. What powder are you using for 38 spl again? Was it one of those shooters world powders you bought?

Back
Top Bottom