• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

2.9 gr turned out to be right on target at 890fps which is good for 133.5 pf (bullet actually weighs 150 gr). Cleaning up some brass and will load some more and try to shoot some groups.

2.9 gr turned out to be right on target at 890fps which is good for 133.5 pf (bullet actually weighs 150 gr). Cleaning up some brass and will load some more and try to shoot some groups.

Sounds like you're using blue bullets?

Just broke the priming arm on my Loadmaster. It is a good thing that I still have enough rounds of 231 loaded for tomorrow. Have to get another from Lee next week. Since I missed registration for area 7, my next match wont be until Harvard's Steel Challenge match which I can shoot the .22. That should give me time to get the press up and running again.

Nope, sorry. I'm already loading the 30 Government rimless, as well as the .308 A.I....

0Y3jwb9l.jpg

whats up with that AI cartridge

Had a few hours to myself Thurs. and Fri night, thought I'd prime and size some 9mm and load some .45ACP for my range trip on Sat, morning. Well you know how some days you have the grace of a gazelle and the co-ordination of a fine surgeon? That' wasn't how things went Thurs. night. I loaded 100 small pistol primers in my Lee square folding tray and put it on the press ,as I was just going to de-cap and size and prime on the press. Turned around to grab the jug with the shells in it and hit the tray with my elbow and sent 100 primers scatttering across the concrete floor when the tray hit and opened up . On my hands and knees lifting everything that moved rolled or I could see under I found all but 4 primers. Back to work getting them ready fro powder . I'm still muttering to myself when one shell doesn't quite line up with the die , and as I go to give a little push in the shell holderI don't stop pulling the handle down and jam my index finger in the press. Now it all stops while I clean the blood off t5he press and me. Wrap it in a paper towel and electrical tape that on to my finger and finish just 100 rounds. As now I'm out of time . Carry on to Fri night. I'm setting up to load the .45 , got powder in the auto drum on the turret press and am setting the drop weight and fine tuning it. Yep you guessed it! I swing around from the scale on the other bench and don't you know the cover is off the plastic powder container and I somehow manage to knock it just enough to spill some of it all over the bench, floor and the Cat who was laying down on the next bench. Gazzellish I'm not feeling at this point, or surgeon like with anything but Klutzyness. Clean up the spilled powder and actually get to load 200 .45's. Made it to the range on Sat, BUT you know all that was in the back of my mind as I shot. No problems at the range and all was good but I was extra extra careful as bad luck seems to follow me in 3's. I know we all have days like this. I'm hoping it brings a laugh and a nod of the head as I have asked lots of newbie questions and gotten a lot of help from this forum.

Last edited:
Had a few hours to myself Thurs. and Fri night, thought I'd prime and size some 9mm and load some .45ACP for my range trip on Sat, morning. Well you know how some days you have the grace of a gazelle and the co-ordination of a fine surgeon? That' wasn't how things went Thurs. night. I loaded 100 small pistol primers in my Lee square folding tray and put it on the press ,as I was just going to de-cap and size and prime on the press. Turned around to grab the jug with the shells in it and hit the tray with my elbow and sent 100 primers scatttering across the concrete floor when the tray hit and opened up . On my hands and knees lifting everything that moved rolled or I could see under I found all but 4 primers. Back to work getting them ready fro powder . I'm still muttering to myself when one shell doesn't quite line up with the die , and as I go to give a little push in the shell holderI don't stop pulling the handle down and jam my index finger in the press. Now it all stops while I clean the blood off t5he press and me. Wrap it in a paper towel and electrical tape that on to my finger and finish just 100 rounds. As now I'm out of time . Carry on to Fri night. I'm setting up to load the .45 , got powder in the auto drum on the turret press and am setting the drop weight and fine tuning it. Yep you guessed it! I swing around from the scale on the other bench and don't you know the cover is off the plastic powder container and I somehow manage to knock it just enough to spill some of it all over the bench, floor and the Cat who was laying down on the next bench. Gazzellish I'm not feeling at this point, or surgeon like with anything but Klutzyness. Clean up the spilled powder and actually get to load 200 .45's. Made it to the range on Sat, BUT you know all that was in the back of my mind as I shot. No problems at the range and all was good but I was extra extra careful as bad luck seems to follow me in 3's. I know we all have days like this. I'm hoping it brings a laugh and a nod of the head as I have asked lots of newbie questions and gotten a lot of help from this forum.

Yikes!! I'll admit I've knocked over primers and also jammed by finger in the press too! Lol. I never understood how I managed to keep my finger in the press as I lowered the ram. I think its just the repetitive motions.

Have yet to knock over a container of powder though. I'd cry if I did that lol.

Of the guys who load by hand, does anyone use the RCBS bench primer?

Have one, or deciding what you want? I have the RCBS hand primer- works great, quick, can grab a bucket of brass and prime wherever you want.

Ended up shooting the Hornady 123 ELD's over 39.0 grains of Varget at Granby yesterday. They were more accurate than the 140's, at least on paper at 100 yards. My initial drop for the 123's was wrong and first shot at 377 was a just over the plate, but made an adjustment and all shots thereafter were right on the money. After the orientation was able to easily ping the plate at 612 yards. Didn't have a spotter once orientation finished, so would have had difficulty knowing when I hit the plates at 1015. Nice thing about the 123's is that they are mag length for the AR.

I'm hoping these things are all a learning curve, I noticed as the months go by and I load more and more I don't seem to make the same small mistakes as I did in the beginning. Then I get cocky and do something stupid like knock over a tray of primers, just to keep me humble.

Yeah its all part of the reloading experience [laugh]

So yesterday was reloading for my Japanese Arisaka Rifles. Some 7.7X58 for my Type 99s and 65.5X50r for my type 38s. Today was for the my M1 Carbine both my 113grn Hi-Tech coated cast and 110gr Armscor Plated. Tomorrow comes the fun reload I will be making up about a 100 rounds of 8X56R for my Steyr-Mannlicher M95/30. There is no published Data in any Manual that I know of. I have a ton of Manuals plus my scan ones, so I have checked. Piecing together information I have come up with a Light load for H4895 of between 30 and 34 grns. I usually run right about 30grns because I shoot Cast Bullets. they have worked well. I am going to call Hodgdon tomorrow and see if they have anymore info. I have seen some people go as high as 45 grns of H4895.

I bought this rifle because I found the Bayonet at a Flea Market Cheap!!! Hey!! If you have the Bayonet you have got to have the rifle!!!! :)

0001.jpg 0001a.jpg 0001b.jpg 001.jpg 001a.jpg 001.jpg 1.jpg

Yikes!! I'll admit I've knocked over primers and also jammed by finger in the press too! Lol. I never understood how I managed to keep my finger in the press as I lowered the ram. I think its just the repetitive motions.

You haven't lived until you've punched a decapping pin through a fingernail while punching a nice round .308 diameter circle into your finger. Turns out case mouth chamfering does have downsides. [rofl]

Luckily I got to watch a buddy do this instead of demonstrating on myself. Don't load distracted.....

Of the guys who load by hand, does anyone use the RCBS bench primer?

Is that the handprimer? If so I use that. Mainly so I dont have to take apart my dillon and also it allows me to prime on the couch, no performance benefit that I'm aware of.

NVM, looked it up, 2/2.

Last edited:
Is that the handprimer? If so I use that. Mainly so I dont have to take apart my dillon and also it allows me to prime on the couch, no performance benefit that I'm aware of.

NVM, looked it up, 2/2.

You're killin me smalls

I'm wondering if the bench primer would be easier than the hand primer for the same reason as you: I don't want to swap primer feeds.

Cast a good 15+ pounds of MP 356130 RNBB and a few pounds of a Lyman 457 Postal 535 grain bullet.
Can't wait to shoot all of them.

NVM, looked it up, 2/2.

Just buy 2 dillons so you have one for each primer size.

Like Mac I have limited space. It's a one Dillon family.

time for an addition!

my reloading room is literally a root cellar that I dug 6" of dirt out of and poured 2" of pebble stone and 4" of concrete on to make a suitable space with a decent floor. It's probably 5'x8', but the ceiling is about 5'8" (I'm 5'9")...I have one of those weird ergonomic desk chairs from the 1990's that you kneel in, and it makes the space work for me. A rock chucked IV and the 550b coupled with my powder drop, hand primer and 505 scale are really everything I can ever see needing outside of dies and components.

Mac inspired me in 2012 to start reloading when I couldn't find food for my newly purchased k31. It's been a long road and a serious learning curve, but I found a hobby I enjoy as much as shooting!

I shot some 180 grain JHP with 8.2 of BE-86. I didn't have to hold high at 200 yards. This Sig 1911 is the first 10mm I've ever shot and I'm impressed with both.

worked up a load for 45acp with 200gr LSWC and Win231 and put them to the test last night. i'm still green as the grass when it comes to reloading, so some interpretation/explanation of what i'm looking at and advice/pointers are welcome. used my prodigital chrono paired with the chrono link module to bluetooth the data to my phone where I then labeled and sent to my google drive. it seems like it'll make short work of keeping everything organized as i work up loads for all my favourite firearms and really get into the meat and potatoes of reloading come the cold winter months in my dark hole in the basement.

without further ado:
IMG_0018.jpg
Targets from left to right are lowest to highest charge (i ran out of load targets so I used an SR1 for the last one)

4.6gr Data
4.7gr Data
4.8gr Data
4.9gr Data
open

5.0gr Data

Let me know what you guys think. These are all 10 shot groups at about 5 yards...taking my time and letting each shot register on the chrono. I think I liked the 4.9gr load the best because it was accurate AND it gave me a little recoil in my govt. model 1911...the lower end loads barely moved the muzzle :D

ETA: looks like the 4.9gr charge had the lowest standard deviation as well at only 16fps...given that the chrono is accurate, anyway. what was really neat was when I was getting 'duplicate' readings here and there...showing that from one bullet to another the rounds were consistent enough to have the exact same velocity as the previous round!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom