What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Made a bunch more 9mm. Also tumbled some 9mm and 357 mag brass.

Looking forward to bringing my 87 year old grandfather to the range tomorrow. Need to make sure his Savage model 99 in .300 savage is still zeroed for deer this year. Been awhile since I had him to the range. This time I'm bringing my reduced 30-06 loads for him to shoot in the 1903A3. Hasn't shot a 1903 since the late 40s early 50s. Also bringing the Winchester M1 carbine for him to try. Range report/pics tomorrow...

Recently acquired 5500 9mm cases, and a boatload of .45 acp, need to get busy loading some. **** Damn just fell into another 3300 9MM military cases. I'm going to be busy all winter!

Crimped millitary cases can be a pita to get a new primer seated. I ended up culling all of mine since 9mm cases are easy enough to get free. You could swage the crimp out but for cheap cases the time invested was not worth it to me.

8IFDou8.jpg

I bought a ton of .40 brass off a member here last winter. Here and there I've run into one or two of these. Today I ran into a good amount at once.

Is all Federal .40 like this?!

Edit; if I didn't know any better, I'd say that the last guy marked them!

Attachments

• IMG_20171103_110603913.jpg
    IMG_20171103_110603913.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 39
I bought a ton of .40 brass off a member here last winter. Here and there I've run into one or two of these. Today I ran into a good amount at once.

Seems like you ran into some out of focus brass. They won't shoot for shit. Makes the front sight fuzzy.

Federal non toxic primers in those. They make some NT 45s which have small pistol primer pockets. Sucks. Hard to tell from the pics is that some type of sealer in there? Is the pocket crimped?

Seems like you ran into some out of focus brass. They won't shoot for shit. Makes the front sight fuzzy.

Federal non toxic primers in those. They make some NT 45s which have small pistol primer pockets. Sucks. Hard to tell from the pics is that some type of sealer in there? Is the pocket crimped?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's crimped. There's a small ring in the pocket.

I'm using a Star and sizing down to .453 so I can paper patch up to about .460-.461 depending on the paper. Then I might kiss it in a .460 sizing die if I use the thicker paper.

I'm using a Star and sizing down to .453 so I can paper patch up to about .460-.461 depending on the paper. Then I might kiss it in a .460 sizing die if I use the thicker paper.

I've run across the term paper patching before, but have no real idea what it's accomplishing. Alternative to bullet lube? Replacement for gas checks? I've shot a lot of cast pistol bullets, but have never cast my own or used cast rifle bullets. I have a couple of rifles that would probably work well with cast, so I've started reading up on them.

Thanks

I've run across the term paper patching before, but have no real idea what it's accomplishing. Alternative to bullet lube? Replacement for gas checks? I've shot a lot of cast pistol bullets, but have never cast my own or used cast rifle bullets. I have a couple of rifles that would probably work well with cast, so I've started reading up on them.

Thanks

It's the predecessor to a copper jacket. Bullets used to be wrapped in special papers and listed as paper patched. When they switched to copper they referred to those bullets as metal or copper patched. The term jacketed came later.
Basically you can take a cast bullet and with a little work can wrap it in paper and get it to shoot damn close to what a jacketed bullet can do. Supposedly MOA groups. I haven't done enough work to get those group myself but I have seen plenty of guys on the castbullets forum and results from creed more and quietly matches to make a believe out of me.
I know there was a muzzleloader group shot in the late 1800s (i think) that paul mathews talks about in his book. It was something crazy like 1.5 MOA at like 800 yards. I'll have to look it up later.

Looks like "Win Clean" stuff...I ran into a bunch of these in .45 ACP....with SMALL primers! #@!$@#$%#@ I hate those! It's very tough to seat a primer, and takes a bit of 'finese' ...That said, I loaded up 300 today, and will leave them behind at the range for the next brass rat to enjoy! [wink]

Got a new lever gun in .45 Colt and loaded up my meager stash of used .45 Colt brass with a low-end Ruger-only load of Titegroup and 255 grain X-treme plated bullets.

Decided to load up the Hornady .45 Colt brass as well, even though it's short. Because it's short, I decided to load it at the top of the standard pressure range and not get into the Ruger-only loads with it. I did a little calculation and convinced myself that the result will still be kind of wimpy. I used CFE Pistol for this. I've been struggling to find anything that this powder is good at with the revolver calibers that I reload. I'm sure it's great for .45 ACP and 9mm Luger, but I don't load these.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of adding some more tools to the bench / wall of junk and need some opinions / pressuring.

RCBS precision mic for 308?

and

neck sizing die for 308?

This is for my bone stock Rem 700 SPS

They're already in my Amazon cart, when does the Comm2a referral make it to the app? That's how I do 98% of my impulse Amazon purchases.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of adding some more tools to the bench / wall of junk and need some opinions / pressuring.

RCBS precision mic for 308?

and

neck sizing die for 308?

This is for my bone stock Rem 700 SPS

They're already in my Amazon cart, when does the Comm2a referral make it to the app? That's how I do 98% of my impulse Amazon purchases.

I have both rcbs precision Mic and hornady case and bullet comparator.
I like the hornady better and it covers more ground.
I have neck dies for almost all my bolt gun cartridges.

Started on my next adventure in reloading I acquired a smelting pot, and an ingot mold, and ladle. Collected 30 lbs of clip on wheel weights and ordered my furnace . I still need my molds and a my sizing dies and a few more things . Ya'll probably guessed that I'm going to start casting my own!~ Slowly I learn by listening and reading, only doin .45ACP as a start, then adding 9mm.

Started on my next adventure in reloading I acquired a smelting pot, and an ingot mold, and ladle. Collected 30 lbs of clip on wheel weights and ordered my furnace . I still need my molds and a my sizing dies and a few more things . Ya'll probably guessed that I'm going to start casting my own!~ Slowly I learn by listening and reading, only doin .45ACP as a start, then adding 9mm.

It's going to change your life. No Joke
congrats

Change my Life? LOL reloading has already made me a pak-rat, before I'd sweep up and toss my brass in the range bucket, now I'm crawling in the sage brush and bamboo looking for an errant case. sticking brass in my BDU pockets as I walk up to put dots on my targets and reset my reactive ones. I jingle when I walk now! I find myself all giddity when I find a bright and shiny .45 case in the grass. I dump the trap ranges trash barrels in the dumpster so I can find Remington Double A 12 gauge hulls. I'm scrounging wheel weights from all my garage connections, I'm meeting clandestinely in CVS parking lots doing brass deals. BUT I'm having the time of my life doing it all I wish I had started this 20 years ago!>>>>>>>> I re-read this to myself and now I'm thinking I'm easily amused!

Last edited:
Change my Life? LOL reloading has already made me a pak-rat, before I'd sweep up and toss my brass in the range bucket, now I'm crawling in the sage brush and bamboo looking for an errant case. sticking brass in my BDU pockets as I walk up to put dots on my targets and reset my reactive ones. I jingle when I walk now! I find myself all giddity when I find a bright and shiny .45 case in the grass. I dump the trap ranges trash barrels in the dumpster so I can find Remington Double A 12 gauge hulls. I'm scrounging wheel weights from all my garage connections, I'm meeting clandestinely in CVS parking lots doing brass deals. BUT I'm having the time of my life doing it all I wish I had started this 20 years ago!>>>>>>>> I re-read this to myself and now I'm thinking I'm easily amused!

Lets just say casting is the next level of addiction.
Wait till you're showing up 15 minutes early to your CVS brass deals so you scan the parking lot for free range wheel weights. you'll be picking the berm and recycling your own bullets in no time.
Now when you're casting you're going to be shooting for about 1/10th the price of store bought ammo. That means you need more brass and more range trips. It's a vicious cycle. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom