• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded another 500 rounds of 9mm earlier tonight. Just about done with my second 4lb jug of N320 powder. Will be opening my last jug soon...

Last edited:
I hope so I only use 3 kinds of powder (so far) would prefer to get it in 4's instead of 1lber's and 8 lbser's. Not many places I shop stock 4's.

Why do you prefer 4# instead of 8# jugs?
The key to buying powder is buying it in quantity and all the same lot number. The smaller the quantity the higher the price.
Eight pound jugs are the way to go, and kegs are even better if its a powder you have already decided as a favorite.

You'd be surprised at how quickly an 8# jug disappears when loading rifle calibers. At 40.5 grains/cartridge(starting load for a .308 load with my powder lot), that's only 1382 rds per jug. I sometimes fire that in a couple of hours between a mag fed rifle and a belt fed gun. Powder goes quicker than you think.

Last edited:
Why do you prefer 4# instead of 8# jugs?
The key to buying powder is buying it in quantity and all the same lot number. The smaller the quantity the higher the price.
Eight pound jugs are the way to go, and kegs are even better if its a powder you have already decided as a favorite.

You'd be surprised at how quickly an 8# jug disappears when loading rifle calibers. At 40.5 grains/cartridge(starting load for a .308 load with my powder lot), that's only 1382 rds per jug. I sometimes fire that in a couple of hours between a mag fed rifle and a belt fed gun. Powder goes quicker than you think.

Yup. My 4# jugs of N320 are good for about 9,000 rounds of 9mm. Won’t go as quick as rifle powder but should last me 6 months or so.

I don't do rifle, I'm into only pistol cartridges and shotgun I don't want to store 8lbs that long in 3 different types I have storage space issues in a controlled climate. KEG!!? Hell I don't buy beer buy the keg and I bet I use more of that than gunpowder

Yeah the larger 8# jugs can be more tricky to store compared to multiple 1 pounders or even a 4 pounder. I’ll keep you in mind when I need to do another powder/primer order. Probably sometime next summer if I had to guess.

Yeah the larger 8# jugs can be more tricky to store compared to multiple 1 pounders or even a 4 pounder. I’ll keep you in mind when I need to do another powder/primer order. Probably sometime next summer if I had to guess.

Let me know when and I'll see what I can get for prices from my online vendor.

Loaded some .45 Colt with 3 weights of BE-86. So far it's out shot all the other powders I've tried in this old Colt. I'll try them tomorrow morning along with some black powder loads.

I shot the .45 Colt loads this morning and the black powder loads shot well enough that I have to shoot some more before I decide. I may have to retain The Goose as an advisor

Well, I broke a universal decapping pin because I did not ensure my .223 brass did not have rocks in it... Time to buy a Lee de-capper...

Well, I broke a universal decapping pin because I did not ensure my .223 brass did not have rocks in it... Time to buy a Lee de-capper...

Even the Lee pin can snap, but the slipping design may save you in some instances.
Debris, berdan-primed brass, off-center flash holes (AMERC usually), an errant .22 rimfire case or another spent primer settling inside your brass could cause such a mishap.

Loaded a bunch of light powderpuff 44 mag rounds earlier tonight. 5 gr of bullseye under a 240 gr coated SWC. Lot of fun out the Henry and Dan Wesson.

Last week I loaded some .45 Colt 250gr XTPs with HS-6 following Linebaugh's data. I tried 12.5gr and 13gr. Also loaded some 300gr hard cast, same charges. Those all shot well in my Blackhawk and Henry, but I was getting a little more velocity than Linebaugh's max in the 5.5" Blackhawk with the 300gr hard cast at 12.5gr HS-6, probably because the bullet is 300gr instead of 310gr and set back a little more than the one Linebaugh used. Even though there were no disconcerting pressure signs, I'm going to try backing that down, working it up from something a bit lower like I should have in the first place. Accuracy out of the rifle was great, though.

I'm shooting up my stock of plated bullets and since the 125gr X-tremes for .38 special were not inspiring in any of my guns, I decided to shoot them up in 9mm. They were only measuring .356-ish, anyway, and they're plated, not jacketed, so I figured it would work. It did. The test rounds shot and fed fine, so I gathered up some 9mm cases at the range on Monday, prepped them, and loaded up the rest of my 125gr X-tremes, 391 of them.

Last edited:
well, i didn't reload this time. the last stripped lower i had morphed into a rifle. i just accelerated the project some cause i wasn't sure what the parts availability was going to look like down the road.

Prepped 100 or so 45/70 cases. Now they need primer, powder and bullet.
Thinking of using up all of my random paper patch experiment bullets to load up this batch.
Also tumbled 2 batches of 9mm with one more small batch to go.

Finished up 200 .44mag and 500 berdan primed .308 on a single stage press.

Note to self: Get the Dillon mounted if sanity is to prevail.

Made a top punch and sizing die for a Lyman 45 that was supposed to be finished out at .3585.
Top punch took about 15 minutes start to finish and came out perfect.
The sizing die - not so much. The only material I have on hand large enough is some scrap k-monel bar stock. The stuff is great to turn but horrible to drill or bore on my small lathe. I wasn't patient enough and pushed it to hard so the bore is scored and oversized (~.359+). Since you can't polish a bore smaller into the scrap bin it goes...

I'll just pick up the .359 die since the tolerances are infinitely greater than my patience for only $30.
20171125_170911.jpg 20171125_170858.jpg
20171125_170911.jpg 20171125_170858.jpg

Made a top punch and sizing die for a Lyman 45 that was supposed to be finished out at .3585.
Top punch took about 15 minutes start to finish and came out perfect.
The sizing die - not so much. The only material I have on hand large enough is some scrap k-monel bar stock. The stuff is great to turn but horrible to drill or bore on my small lathe. I wasn't patient enough and pushed it to hard so the bore is scored and oversized (~.359+). Since you can't polish a bore smaller into the scrap bin it goes...

I'll just pick up the .359 die since the tolerances are infinitely greater than my patience for only $30.
View attachment 213303 View attachment 213304
View attachment 213303 View attachment 213304
Hell it looks good though.
I think I have a Lyman 357 die in a batch of stuff I’m selling for a buddy if you want it $10 and it’s yours. You can probably lap it out pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom