What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Picked up a handful of 9mm off my bench this morning for USPSA: Two squibs. Who's the a hole that reloaded this crap anyways?

Loaded 500 rounds of 9mm for my new SIG. I've been collecting 9mm brass in anticipation of the day I'd own a 9mm pistol. Now I'm hoping for a few hours of range time if it EVER stops raining.

Loaded 300 rounds of 9 yesterday. Trying to keep the stock up for a busy spring/summer of IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge matches.

Have a Dillon 650, Mounted a Mini Mr. Bullet feeder for 9mm. Did not want to spend 500 for auto feeder. It holds 120 heads and works awesome! I ordered and extra tube assembly to speed it up a little more.

Going to make a shell pusher to use with a Lee Bulge Buster on a Loadmaster press. The shell pusher that comes with the Bulge Buster works with single stage presses and replaces the shell holder. I am going to make one that will fit in a 45 ACP shell holder.

Also going to make an extractor tension gauge.

My brother is visiting me from Florida. I got him started reloading back home on a Dillon Square B and then talked him into shooting IPDA and he loves it. He is 72 years old.
So today I helped him learn my Dillon 550B and he loaded a bunch of S&W 40 for the range tomorrow. I will not let anyone shoot my reloads for safety sake. When he was done I loaded some forty for myself.

I made up a few shot loads in .44 but the pattern sucks after about 12 feet. I guess I need to do more work on that project. I worked up a load for a 1st generation Colt SAA that works great. 7 grains of Unique and a .454 250 grain rnfp. In the .30/40 Krag carbine 20 grains of 5744 with a 210 grain cast bullet is working well.

IMG_20170520_154731_385.jpg Moved my 9mm de-cap and sizing die on to a turret plate, that has my bullet puller on it, Then installed a RCBS bullet feeder in station 2 on the disc with the powder drum , bullet seating and the crimp die. Just trying different things out to see what I like best. I think I like de-capping, sizing and priming several hundred cases before loading them. Then this set up works better to just load the powder and bullet. Any thoughts? opinions? free advice?

loaded up some cast loads for cmp vintage match
J0TJNDN.jpg

ranchdog mold http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC311170RF/bullet/sketch.jpg

The 1903a3 I have been shooting them out of

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a handful of 9mm off my bench this morning for USPSA: Two squibs. Who's the a hole that reloaded this crap anyways?

I feel your pain. I ran a test batch on Friday of a new load for 230gr round nose. Totally inconsistent velocities and two squibs. Never had a squib before, and the first one I thought was a hang fire. Had to bang them out with my guide rod. Good thing this was a small test batch. After the second one, I stopped the test and pulled the remaining rounds. The inconsistent powder drops I blame on the Lee adjustable disk that I just got. I took it off and put the regular disk back on and ran some more test rounds. Much better. 8 fps standard deviation. Only downside is I don't have a disk that will drop 3.7gr of Clays. 3.6 is too slow, and 3.8 is faster than I would like.

I loaded some .454 250 grain cast with Unique. 7 grains got me about 735 fps and 8 grains was about 850 fps. Both were more accurate than 7.5 grains. It's for an old Colt SAA and I don't want to go heavier than 8 grains. The 7 grain load is slightly high at 10 yards and right on at 100 yards. I ran out of 8 grain loads before I got to the 100 yard range.

View attachment 198465Bought a clip-on LED reading light with a flexable shaft at Dollar General for $2.50. Clipped it on the back post of the turret press and flexed it around to light up the shell case to help the old eyes see in the shell. Helps a lot to see how much powder is in the shell.
I like that idea. Think I will add one to my press.

Continued resizing, priming, and expanding 9mm cases. Think I got about 700 cases prepped. Hopefully load them later tonight or tomorrow. Been burning through ammo with 1-2 matches per week.

I like that idea. Think I will add one to my press.

I bought a magnet based light and it worked until I needed to change the batteries. I thought it was a AA battery set up instead it has 4 LR44 batteries.
The inexspensive LR batteries don't last and the better ones are more than the light...

Prepped 75 30-06 cases in prep for June 11 match.
351 cases of .223 ready for charging and seating.
Planning to charge and seat 60 more 7.62x51.

getting ready for the CMP modern military match on the 11th at OCSA Pembroke ma. A quick run of what ever clean brass I had slam some varget in there and crunch a Nosler 60 grain BTBT in there. now to get the 30 cal done.

uMovPtf.jpg

IMG_20170604_133115_744.jpg IMG_20170604_133132_303.jpg Decided I want my press higher than it was on the workbench ,so I built an independent small bench just for the press, and a shelf under it for the tumbler when it' not in use. All out of 2x6 just for the weight and cause I had them from another project. Now I can swap out the turret press for the shotgun press with just undoing 2 c-clamps. File cabinet under the workbench has all the associated stuff for both presses in it . Lets see how this works out, everything is a work in progress. My shop is small so it has to be efficient.

View attachment 199681View attachment 199682Decided I want my press higher than it was on the workbench ,so I built an independent small bench just for the press, and a shelf under it for the tumbler when it' not in use. All out of 2x6 just for the weight and cause I had them from another project. Now I can swap out the turret press for the shotgun press with just undoing 2 c-clamps. File cabinet under the workbench has all the associated stuff for both presses in it . Lets see how this works out, everything is a work in progress. My shop is small so it has to be efficient.

Please keep us informed. Ive been thinking about doing something similar with a smaller side work space or a press mounted to a board held down by clamps. Actually, pretty much exactly what youve done. Always thought the leverage created would be too much and would either cause the whole thing to tip or cause the board to move around.

I dont have a lot of room myself and the way I have it now, its annoying. Feel like Im always reaching over or around something. It would be nice to have an open area that I could move things to and from at will. Also thought of using a bottom shelf area on the small bench similar to what you have as bullet storage to help stabilize it.

Let us know how its working out.

Please keep us informed. Ive been thinking about doing something similar with a smaller side work space or a press mounted to a board held down by clamps. Actually, pretty much exactly what youve done. Always thought the leverage created would be too much and would either cause the whole thing to tip or cause the board to move around.

I dont have a lot of room myself and the way I have it now, its annoying. Feel like Im always reaching over or around something. It would be nice to have an open area that I could move things to and from at will. Also thought of using a bottom shelf area on the small bench similar to what you have as bullet storage to help stabilize it.

Let us know how its working out.
I keep saying to myself I'm,going to install t rack system like below to free up my bench space a bit and provide multiple mounting options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pulled apart 185 out of the 255 rounds I had left from Saturday's match. I already suspected that there were some bad rounds in that batch, and my suspicions were confirmed with a light load that caused my round to stop on Saturday, followed by a squib during the reshoot. 70 left to pull. My hand was about to blister, so I stopped. Didn't see any no powder rounds, but I think there were a couple more light ones. Saturday's squib will join the others (two from a test batch) on a wall of shame plaque that I will make.

Don't buy the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar for the Auto Disk powder measure. It is unreliable for small (<5gr.) charges.

Back
Top Bottom