What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just got done depriming 400rnds of 9mm. Half are getting tumbled now. Spent the rest of the time dialing in my .40S&W dies. Talk about a pain in the ass.

I haven't even used my 'lube pad' at all yet. I've just been putting a finger swipe of Hornady Unique case lube (similar to imperial case wax, but a LOT cheaper) on my finger every 2 or 3 rounds and it seems to do the trick. After about 250 rounds (of HXP) the lube accumulates in the die so bad I have to take it apart and clean it. Do you lube inside of the neck as well? I've been noticing that I seem to be using a lot more force on the return stroke than the guys on YouTube, and I'm wondering if I should be using something different inside the mouth of the cases?
For 30-06, and 308 yes, I did each inside the neck. The first couple of .223 batches I did as well. Last night I found once every 5-10 cases was enough to keep things running smoothly for .223.

- - - Updated - - -

Youcan save yourself a ton of time by using Dillon case lube.
Toss your brass into a zip lock bag. Spray a couple times with the lube and shake.
You can lube a gallon bag of cases in about 30 seconds.
I looked at the Dillon lube but I couldn't tell if it would contaminate powder/primers. I was leery of not lubing the neck but based on my run last night, only 1 out of every 5-10 needs it, at least for me.

Youcan save yourself a ton of time by using Dillon case lube.
Toss your brass into a zip lock bag. Spray a couple times with the lube and shake.
You can lube a gallon bag of cases in about 30 seconds.

THIS seems like it would be a MAJOR time saver. I read something somewhere about Lanolin...

found it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/305174_.html

wow...that does look simple! a breeze to source the ingredients as well.

Last edited:
THIS seems like it would be a MAJOR time saver. I read something somewhere about Lanolin...

found it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/305174_.html

wow...that does look simple! a breeze to source the ingredients as well.

No need to warm it. The lanolin does not stay in solution. Just mix them together at like 10:1 or 12:1, and shake them up before use. One or two misty sprays for a gallon ziploc of pistol brass, a little bit more than that for rifle brass sizing. Let it evaporate for a few minutes before you dump it into the casefeeder.

No need to warm it. The lanolin does not stay in solution. Just mix them together at like 10:1 or 12:1, and shake them up before use. One or two misty sprays for a gallon ziploc of pistol brass, a little bit more than that for rifle brass sizing. Let it evaporate for a few minutes before you dump it into the casefeeder.

It makes it easier to mix if you warm the lanolin IMO. I just heated up some water in a bowl then let the bottle of lanolin sit in it for 5 min or so to soften up.

Don't worry about contamination.
Bulk lube
Size
Load

If you use too much lube you size and then tumble for 5 or 10 minutes to remove the lube before the rest of the loading begins.

I've done thousands and thousands of cases like this with no issues.

As far as the lanolin home made stuff. Make sure you get the tubes of lanolin from the pharmacy. The thin liquid stuff not the greasy stuff. Also you need 99% alcohol which you can get in the form of isoheet
1919FAN just made a batch of this stuff and you can't tell the difference side by side with the Dillon.

If it gets old and a little thick it will leave too much residue on the cases and need tumbling in between sizing and loading. That takes years to get to that point if stored in a proper container. That being said, an 8 oz spray bottle will last for years. A little goes a long way.
If it thickens up just add a little more alcohol.

Be wary of using too much, I put 50 cases in a block then spray one side ONCE, then the other side once, done. 45 degree angle so it gets them all evenly and yes a bit inside the necks (not a bad thing). I usually spray once into a trash can to make sure the bottle hasn't gummed up or anything, you don't want big gobs of the stuff landing anywhere, too much and it can dent cases or push a shoulder back further than you wanted.

A lot is not needed and it is possible to just run them w/o wiping it off at all if you get it right.

Just got done sorting about 6,000 pieces of assorted brass by hand...45acp, 380acp, 9mm, fotay, .38sp, 357mag, 223, 308, 30-30...all stuff I've been collecting the past month or so. I gotta get me a separation system of some sort...damn! The worst is fotay vs 9mm vs 380acp.

I look at those from time to time but I can't see where it would save me all that much time. They only separate so much. I can't see where brass like 380 and 9mm would separate out and I doubt you would have much luck separating 40's from that brass too. 38sp and 357 would fall through the same holes and I'm thinking 308 and 30-30 would do the same. I'd have to try one of those setups before I sprung $50 for one to find out if they actually save me time.

I look at those from time to time but I can't see where it would save me all that much time. They only separate so much. I can't see where brass like 380 and 9mm would separate out and I doubt you would have much luck separating 40's from that brass too. 38sp and 357 would fall through the same holes and I'm thinking 308 and 30-30 would do the same. I'd have to try one of those setups before I sprung $50 for one to find out if they actually save me time.

They save lots of time.

They sell a separate plate to sort the 380 from the 9mm. (which I dont have) Thats the biggest pain in the ass for me. 38 and 357 would be a challenge. I dont shoot much 38 so when I do, I toss it in the same box I brought it in to keep it separated. Never had any issues separating 40.

Usually I have a good ziplock freezer bag worth of brass to deal with after shooting. (mine and whatever is lying around from others) So not really all that much brass. I tend to sort when I get home or maybe the next day so I dont really end up with a ton of brass to do. I dont toss it in a bucket until its full and then sort. Not really all that hard to pick out the 308's or other calibers. The rifle calibers tend to stand out from the pistol calibers so I usually pick those out by hand. (308, 3006, etc)

I was surprised to see them at over $50. Think I paid $30-something a few years ago. Its not perfect, but even if there is some hand-sorting involved, at least it does a good 3/4's of the work for you.

They sell a separate plate to sort the 380 from the 9mm. (which I dont have) Thats the biggest pain in the ass for me. 38 and 357 would be a challenge. I dont shoot much 38 so when I do, I toss it in the same box I brought it in to keep it separated. Never had any issues separating 40.

Usually I have a good ziplock freezer bag worth of brass to deal with after shooting. (mine and whatever is lying around from others) So not really all that much brass. I tend to sort when I get home or maybe the next day so I dont really end up with a ton of brass to do. I dont toss it in a bucket until its full and then sort. Not really all that hard to pick out the 308's or other calibers. The rifle calibers tend to stand out from the pistol calibers so I usually pick those out by hand. (308, 3006, etc)

I was surprised to see them at over $50. Think I paid $30-something a few years ago. Its not perfect, but even if there is some hand-sorting involved, at least it does a good 3/4's of the work for you.
Yeah...I just checked the Dillon catalog...about $39. I'll have to grab one the next time I'm in Riley's or Shooters Outpost...

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Cast some bullets with a new lee 356-120TC mould and wanted to try out the recipe for Ben's liquid lube
Coated half of them with one coat and the other half with two coats. Supposedly this stuff is a miracle lube.

Loaded 100 test rounds of 9mm 50 of each. Can't wait to see how they shoot.

I use those plates and they work well. They separate .40 from from 9mm and .45 quite quickly. It will not separate cases of the same diameter but you can buy a metal plate what will separate .380 from 9mm. I bought one and I think it's too slow.

Cast some bullets with a new lee 356-120TC mould and wanted to try out the recipe for Ben's liquid lube
Coated half of them with one coat and the other half with two coats. Supposedly this stuff is a miracle lube.

Loaded 100 test rounds of 9mm 50 of each. Can't wait to see how they shoot.

Love that mold...well, not really in love, but it's a fine bullet.
I use it in .38 Special and .35 Remington as well as 9x19mm and 9x17mm (course, I only shoot .38 Special; just recently 9x19mm). It's one of the few molds I have in 6-cavity, so it makes for a worthwhile casting session. My lubrisizer is out of commission, so I suppose I should get into bullet coating...

...not that I make a habit of reloading aluminum and steel, but it can be done:

joJB69nl.jpg

Regarding those brass separators, do they segregate berdan-primed from boxer-primed?

j4zzZA7l.jpg

Last edited:
Just got done sorting about 6,000 pieces of assorted brass by hand...45acp, 380acp, 9mm, fotay, .38sp, 357mag, 223, 308, 30-30...all stuff I've been collecting the past month or so. I gotta get me a separation system of some sort...damn! The worst is fotay vs 9mm vs 380acp.

This is awesome, but there's no way I'm going to build one. I'd like to know someone who has one, though.

[video=youtube_share;IzsxZnla_to]http://youtu.be/IzsxZnla_to[/video]

Regarding those brass separators, do they segregate berdan-primed from boxer-primed?

No, they just sort according to the outside diameter of the case. Tray has slots cut in it and sort of acts like a go no-go gauge.

Started building an annealer. Under $100 from a YouTube video. Waiting on motor then I can mount drum and wire it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
f19f148fff3762968bd8dba04e31196d.jpg

Awesome! Will you be able to make different drums for each caliber, or will it be universal? I don't even need one yet, as literally all of my rifle brass is still once fired, but I like the idea of making my own 'auto-annealer' when the time comes. I haven't seen the YouTube video for that one yet. What kinda motor are you using? 110v? I think I can find a nice 12v geared low enough in the junkyard I work at to make something work.

- - - Updated - - -

Soooo... I loaded up a mix and match of .40 just to find out either my manual or calipers are wrong. OAL is off. Wahoo..

Do tell?

10 test 7.62x51 finished last night, and 178 .223 decrimped, flash holes cleaned, and then primed.

This week will do a few Garand loads to begin prepping for June match.

My manual stated max OAL was 1.135. So everything was sized to 1.130. You could load a max of two rounds into the mag and it would feed. Anything beyond that it would be stuck in the mag. Gen3 G22 with Gen4 10rnd mag.

Manuals typically give min, not max OAL. Reducing OAL increases pressure quickly = bad.

That said, 1.130 is well under max length for Fo-Tay. If they're not feeding in your mag I'm guessing your calipers are goofed.

Back
Top Bottom