What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I got a 9mm case stuck in my decapping die. So far I haven't been able to remove it. We're off to a good start lol.
1/4"-20 tap and a #7 drill for under $10

You can use a 3/8" drive socket as spacer with a bolt and washer to draw the case out.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

So far in my life I have done absolutely NOTHING in "the reloading room". This is about to change. Santa, aka my wife gave me a Dillon Precision XL650 with a 9mm die set. Other gifts from family members included Lyman reloader's manual, primers, bullets, etc, etc.

A friend of mine has a similar unit and he's going to help me set it up AFTER I watch the installation dvd and figure out the workspace.

Not so much reloading, but turned a new firing pin for my Swiss Vetterli. I had converted it to centerfire long ago, but the pin I had made was a bit short and would strike lightly. It would not fire deeply seated primers. The pin only stuck out about 0.015" and needed to be replaced.

I tried turning a new one out of a hardened screw, but the 0.070" required size shaft of the pin would bend and break very easily. I had bought a bunch of round stuck at a liquidation sale a couple years ago, and so I grabbed some random 1/4" round stock in my stash that looked like stainless and successfully turned that down. Works great with 0.045" protruding past the bolt face when fired.

Funny thing though. The stainless steel cut very nicely at high spindle speeds but was very stiff without being brittle. When I looked to see what type it was, the label said "titanium". Didn't realize I had some! Moral of the story: Titanium is way easier to turn when you don't realize it's titanium!

So now I have a titanium firing pin in a 138 yr-old rifle!

I'll take it to the range at lunch on Wednesday. First time I'll have fired it in ~3 years.

LOL, just reading this. Probably you have a new and/or very sharp cutter. Titanium isn't so bad until the tool dulls, then it's a biatch! Now go to a Vetterli collector forum, post your work, and watch heads explode. [laugh]

So far in my life I have done absolutely NOTHING in "the reloading room". This is about to change. Santa, aka my wife gave me a Dillon Precision XL650 with a 9mm die set. Other gifts from family members included Lyman reloader's manual, primers, bullets, etc, etc.

A friend of mine has a similar unit and he's going to help me set it up AFTER I watch the installation dvd and figure out the workspace.

sweet, gratz.

Made up 700 cases of 300 Blackout from once fired 223. I've got 300 more that need to be trimed, chamfered and deburred, swaged, and primed.

I did a small .45 auto run today. Found out once done they were all seated too deep. Time to get a puller haha.

Is the brass worth reusing or put it with the scrap?

I did a small .45 auto run today. Found out once done they were all seated too deep. Time to get a puller haha.

Is the brass worth reusing or put it with the scrap?

Why not re-use? Goes through a lot more stress being fired than it does being pulled.

With a little practice, you could probably "unseat" those bullets slightly, then run them through the press at the correct depth.

Haven't had any time to do squat lately. The bright side is I haven't been shooting either. Just been collecting components. My wholesaler just had a special on shipping, no minimum and no hazmat fees, grabbed like 20lbs of powders.

They were almost consistently coming in at 1.11/1.10.

what are they supposed to be? kind of bullet etc? I'm guessing he's asking because it may not be a big deal.

What was the load, is it near max?

Exactly. Depending on the bullet design, Weight, Powder charge etc it might not be a big deal at all.

Do they feed, cycle, and detonate safely? OAL is a guideline that will vary based on the weight and shape of bullet used. Reloading is as much art as science.

230gr Barry's RN, 4.5-4.8gr HP38.

The paper that came with the Lee dies I think had them at 1.29. SAAMI has minimum at 1.19, max 1.275.

what is recommended max powder charge? Cuz if you're not maxed out, I'd try to run them. Your problem may be with them cycling properly if anything. Assuming I'm understanding this correctly and you are not at max load, I wouldn't be concerned about pressure. Wait for someone else to chime in, but that's my take on it.

Last edited:
Off hand, I believe min charge was 4.3, max was 5.2 (for HP38).

I think max is 5.4g for hp38/231. I just went through that this weekend.

My go to load for my 1911 is a plated 200g RN bullet, only to find out they wont cycle in my new FNX-45. [crying]

Last edited:
Got to my jobsite in CT a couple hours ago and I walk into the trailer and the other contractor hands me a big of 357 mag brass -at least 200+ cases. He did a lot of shooting this past weekend and doesn't reload but knows that I do[wink] Merry Christmas to me [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom