What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Bought all the parts to convert my Dillon 650 to 45 ACP. Hope to assemble things this week and do some test rounds, once my 230 grain bullets and large pistol primers come in.

Oh and I stared at the bucket of 9mm and 45 ACP cases that I collected from a Sig Sauer class I attended two weeks ago. Need to separate, clean, and examine them.

sent from my phone.

That's what im hoping/thinking. My 200g RN load is already pretty stout. Im .1 under max load with my Unique loads and .2 under with my Hp38 loads. Im hoping its just the weight of the bullet affecting performance. Which is what I read also.

Interesting. I'm not familiar with FN pistols whatsoever so I don't know what to suggest.

Something slightly different, I added sockets to my workbench. This way I can plug in the case feeder without needing an extension cord.

BjTexsS.jpg

So I am in the process of acquiring my first .45 and of course, I will need to reload SOON. Any suggestions for dies on a 650? Does everyone switch back and forth with primers? I don't have the counter space for multiple machines.

I have a 550 that I bought to replace a Lee press and have used Lee dies for thousands of rounds of .45 with great success. Recently bought Dillon dies to setup for 9mm and have been very disappointed with the bullet seating die using copper plated bullets. The small hole in the center of the seating die which is the part you flip for RN vs FN causes an indentation and gives poor repeatability with OAL. I never had that problem with the Lee seating die. I just bought a hornady seating die to replace the dillon one, we will see how it works. I switch back and forth for primers, doesn't take long at all.

So I am in the process of acquiring my first .45 and of course, I will need to reload SOON. Any suggestions for dies on a 650? Does everyone switch back and forth with primers? I don't have the counter space for multiple machines.

I just bought conversion kit for .45 on my 650 yesterday. Went with the Dillon carbide dies.

I've been trying to buy ammo with large primers and will hopefully have scrounged up large primer cases at the range. I'd rather not have to switch between small and large.

sent from my phone.

There is, the insides are removable to making cleaning easy if you are using lead bullets that get lube gummed up in the die. When you remove that insert, there is a small pin in the side that holds the center piece which is what comes in contact with the bullet head in place. You can flip to change for bullet type.

Dillon-New-Dynamic-Seat-Die.jpg

Wait, there is a thing to flip on the Dillon bullet seating die for RN vs FN?

I like the Dillon dies. Get a primer quick change for the large primers. And large pistol case feed plate.

I have found with certain bullet shapes I have more consistent seating by using the 'wrong' side of the seating stem. It's worth a try

I have a 550 that I bought to replace a Lee press and have used Lee dies for thousands of rounds of .45 with great success. Recently bought Dillon dies to setup for 9mm and have been very disappointed with the bullet seating die using copper plated bullets. The small hole in the center of the seating die which is the part you flip for RN vs FN causes an indentation and gives poor repeatability with OAL. I never had that problem with the Lee seating die. I just bought a hornady seating die to replace the dillon one, we will see how it works. I switch back and forth for primers, doesn't take long at all.

There is, the insides are removable to making cleaning easy if you are using lead bullets that get lube gummed up in the die. When you remove that insert, there is a small pin in the side that holds the center piece which is what comes in contact with the bullet head in place. You can flip to change for bullet type.

View attachment 186173

Curious. I have never flipped this part and yet get perfectly reliable bullet seating. Maybe I should leave well enough alone...

It will take me quite awhile to work my way through all of the factory .45 I have so there is no rush to swap the machine over for a single caliber. Everything else I load uses a small primer. The quick change kit sounds like I good idea though, I will google it and see what it looks like. thanks.

It costs more, but includes a powder measure so you don't have to swap it. To me, it is worth the convenience. It has a tool stand to hold the other tool head, when not using it.

sent from my phone.

It costs more, but includes a powder measure so you don't have to swap it. To me, it is worth the convenience. It has a tool stand to hold the other tool head, when not using it.

sent from my phone.

I use quick change kits for my other calibers but they don't include a primer tube.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-large-priming-system_8_116_23809.html

I was talking about this. Just unbolt your small primer system and put this in place. Don't have to separate the disc and tube and fiddle around with the small parts. The 650 comes with all the parts needed to load with small or large primers, this is just duplicates of some parts to make the changeover way easier

Precisier precision. lol I said that kind of half kidding, I was looking at them when I posted. I know of PRS pros that still load on a 550. (using it as a single stage)

Ridiculous precision really isn't as necessary for what I do as it is for benchrest guys.

I load my 90 grain SMK's for Granby on a 650 just fine although I may be adding a single stage to deprime and neck size... [smile]

Actually using it as a progressive? I use my 550 but I only use the first and third station, and I use them seperately. So basically as a single stage. I only use it as a progressive for handgun and rifle plinking ammo.

Actually using it as a progressive? I use my 550 but I only use the first and third station, and I use them seperately. So basically as a single stage. I only use it as a progressive for handgun and rifle plinking ammo.

Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump. Does that worry you? [smile]

That White Oak bbl is less than MOA at 100y & 7 of 10 at 1,000y.

No, just with the brass prep I do along with hand weighing each charge, using it as a progressive just isn't doable. There is no way I'm trusting a dillon measure with extruded powder.

Loaded up the first batch of 260 Rem last night, to turn into 260 Ackley. I thought about doing fire-forming with Cream of Wheat, and then decided that sounded way less fun than actually shooting. Hope to get out to the range this weekend, unless skiing gets in the way.

No, just with the brass prep I do along with hand weighing each charge, using it as a progressive just isn't doable. There is no way I'm trusting a dillon measure with extruded powder.

And that is why I use TAC: The DPM meters it quite well. I do not weigh each charge either; I weigh the first 5-10 and get comfortable from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom