What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I started making more "lighter/softer" 357 mag loads for the Coonan 1911. 7.5 gr of Power Pistol under a Xtreme 158 gr RN.

Try some CFE pistol. Loaded some for my brothers 686 that felt like .38s. I knew they were going to be wimpy but was shocked how tame for a magnum load.

I just have to make sure they're powerful enough to cycle the 22lb recoil spring. I would try other powders but I have like 4+ pounds of PP on hand lol.

Been loading up a bunch of 9mm (147 gr blue bullet over 3.3 gr N320) for a steel plate match Wednesday then MAYBE attend the USPSA match next weekend at Woburn.

Impulse bought some 125 grain hornady XTPs at the store and loaded them with 21.0 of H-110 which is lyman's starting load. These things were great: super loud, but also accurate to where I could consistently hit a 100 yard steel plate from standing. Also it felt like something was hitting my jacket when I was shooting them, maybe gas or something (?)

Impulse bought some 125 grain hornady XTPs at the store and loaded them with 21.0 of H-110 which is lyman's starting load. These things were great: super loud, but also accurate to where I could consistently hit a 100 yard steel plate from standing. Also it felt like something was hitting my jacket when I was shooting them, maybe gas or something (?)

That is a pretty sweet load with those XTP's. I've found that bullet to very accurate out of my Blackhawk, I generally load it to 21.5 grains. For some reason I can't hit the side of a barn with the 110gr XTP's with H110, 22-23grs.

Nice I may try to go a little higher. I was not getting pressure signs with 21.0.

I got some 158 grainer to try as well. Previously I had been loading the 158 lazercast lead bullets with 16 of H-110, but lately I think this may be too warm. The primers always completely flatten with that load, although this seems to happen with factory ammo in this revolver. The 125 XTPs did not flatten the primers as much.

Punching through steel.
They also cut a nice hole in paper with that sharp shoulder.

If by upper ridge you mean the ring right below the tip. That's just from the seating die leaving its mark.
These were somewhat soft. I imagine a harder bullet wouldn't have that impression on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punching through steel.
They also cut a nice hole in paper with that sharp shoulder.

If by upper ridge you mean the ring right below the tip. That's just from the seating die leaving its mark.
These were somewhat soft. I imagine a harder bullet wouldn't have that impression on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to share some pics of those punching through steel.

What is the purpose and what is the upper ridge for?

Sometimes you simply don't have the exact top punch to seat the bullets w/o a slight mark. I doubt the gun will notice.

As for my reloading...more of the same ole', same ole'
(don't know how many times these cases have been reloaded...shoot 40 or 50 and load 'em up again... and again!):

Loaded up some 77TMKs with metered 24.1 of RE-15 and a CCI 41. Got out to 600 yards for the first time today and was doing pretty well drilling the 9 and 10 ring mostly although I think I could have shot better. It was cool, I just went up 12 moa from my 300 yard zero and was just about 0.5 moa high right off the bat.

Loaded up some 458 Socoms with Hornady #4500 300gr. hollow points over 31 grs of Lil Gun to test out an upper that Mike Spangler and me assembled Friday this the first five out of the pipe at 80 yards looks promising 20161211_210320.jpg

I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff to get started.

I didn't know bullets (projectiles) were "restricted"? I thought I found a good deal until it made me remove them from the cart.

Last edited:

I didn't know bullets (projectiles) were "restricted"? I thought I found a good deal on Midway until it made me remove them from the cart.

Yep, lame for sure. What calibers you reloading?

I didn't know bullets (projectiles) were "restricted"? I thought I found a good deal on Midway until it made me remove them from the cart.

Bullets, brass, powder and primers are restricted. I had to photocopy my LTC, sign it in blue ink and mail it to a company before they would ship me brass. Some minds were blown on a non-New England based gun forum when I shared that bit of info.

Also icydk, its a public forum so no posting about who ships what and who doesnt. The less the AG knows the better. [grin]

Yep, lame for sure. What calibers you reloading?

I'm planning on starting with 9. From there, 45 auto, 45 LC and 5.56.

Also icydk, its a public forum so no posting about who ships what and who doesnt. The less the AG knows the better. [grin]

Got that right. I was going to take the ride up to Cabelas next week to look at powder and bullets. I got some Bullseye today and just now I'm reading its dirtier than most. HP38 seems to come up a bit when searching though.

I'm planning on starting with 9. From there, 45 auto, 45 LC and 5.56.

Got that right. I was going to take the ride up to Cabelas next week to look at powder and bullets. I got some Bullseye today and just now I'm reading its dirtier than most. HP38 seems to come up a bit when searching though.

Bullseye is a great powder for 9 and 45. I wouldn't say its a dirty powder, neither is HP38 in my experience. Unique is a dirty powder.

Still working on the last batch of W571. Uncovered a few mt .357 cases, so why not load the versatile Lee 356 120 TC over 13.0g of W571...
... Sno-cone anybody?

Last edited:
A perfect day to sit down and do some reloading whilst sipping some hot ginger tea.
Glad to have found an enthusiastic .270 Winchester shooter (a coyote slayer) so I can load up some of the "useless-to-me" .277" - diameter bullets that are hanging around here.

Back
Top Bottom