What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Last night I finished my first-ever batch of .357...which is why there are so few.

2016-11-08 20.03.08.jpg 2016-11-08 20.03.33.jpg

And I set up my 9mm dies. No Small Pistol Primers yet, so these are just for practice.

2016-11-08 20.07.46.jpg

Looking good.
Damn I need to load some ammo.

I think I'm going to try my hand at some paper patching for the 45/70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took a look around my reloading area then took a look at my new Rock Island Armory 1911 5" Tactical cerakoted model in my right hand. Then I realized that I'm going to have to get some reloading dies, shell plate, large pistol primers, pick up some more powder (Only have Power Pistol, IMR 700x, HP-38, and TiteGroup) and projectiles to feed this new honey.

Anyone have any recommendations on powder/bullets for .45 ACP? I haven't looked at the data in my Lyman 49th or the Hodgdon site yet. Currently just looking for range/target ammo, don't think I'll be using it to compete other than maybe pins or a plate shoot.

Took a look around my reloading area then took a look at my new Rock Island Armory 1911 5" Tactical cerakoted model in my right hand. Then I realized that I'm going to have to get some reloading dies, shell plate, large pistol primers, pick up some more powder (Only have Power Pistol, IMR 700x, HP-38, and TiteGroup) and projectiles to feed this new honey.

Anyone have any recommendations on powder/bullets for .45 ACP? I haven't looked at the data in my Lyman 49th or the Hodgdon site yet. Currently just looking for range/target ammo, don't think I'll be using it to compete other than maybe pins or a plate shoot.

I just picked up my dies and conversion kit last night to start doing .45. I am going to use CFE Pistol and 230g Berrys RN projectiles.

I have very good results with TiteGroup in 45 ACP.

Well, you should be able to find data for the 700X on Hodgdon's site.

One load that does work well is 6.0 grains of Unique and 230 grain bullets. Berry's or similar work OK.

My preference for the 45 runs to 185 gr JHP or 200 gr lead RNFP (round nose flat point) bullets, originally intended for 45 Colt ammo, but 452 dia. These feed fine in even fussy 1911's.

My 45 pistol is a 1917 Colt revolver, so it doesn't much care which projectile, feed wise. The wife, OTOH, has a 1911A1 I built, mostly USGI parts, Essex frame and Colt NM slide.

Loaded a few hundred of 45acp on my 650. At some point it just stopped dispensing powder so I looked to see what was going on and the bracket that pulls the arm on the powder measure had bent at about 15 degrees and wasnt always returning the powder bar to its correct spot. I guess I had the wing nut too tight under there or something (?) bent it back with some pliers and it seems good to go, weird though.

Put all my .40 brass through the lee bulge buster. Been having some chambering problems now and again, and broke a Sig 229 extractor. Had gotten sloppy and was not case gauging all my ammo. Double checked some loaded rounds and several would not gauge. Looks like I picked up some bulged brass out of a Glock. Ran them through the new setup and everything is working well now and gauges fine.

I was hoping to load more 9mm and 357 mag this weekend but never got around to it. Maybe next weekend as I'm in CT until Wednesday this week. I did shoot plenty of 9, 357, and 44 on Friday though.

Cast up a whole random assortment of bullets.
Point 44s
44 wadcutters
45 hollow points
38 SWC Hollow points
12 gauge hollow base slugs
12 gauge 1 oz key drive slugs
12 gauge 7/8 oz key drive slugs

It was a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I used and abused my 650 this afternoon:

-Loaded 500 rounds of 147 gr 9mm
-Deprimed and sized 750 rounds of .223
-Measured till I found 100 in spec and within 0.002" of each other
-Loaded 60 rounds of 90 grain SMK's for 1,000 yards at Granby (I will make it an even 100 tomorrow).

All in all, a productive afternoon.

So I added some more wire shelves to the lower levels to hold more brass

T4T0ze.jpg

Then I used Thanksgiving off from work as an excuse to clean the bench

From this sh!thole
IWaUxE.jpg

To something a little cleaner. Going to need to maybe move the Dillon soon for an incoming RCBS Rock Chucker.
Y7rvYj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom