What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Hodgdon says they can't ship to Ma. Probably some bullshit law that this state passed. If I need Hodgdon powder, I'll get it from a shop or another vendor who does ship here
Shit. I’m partial to their titegroup. Try emailing them and see if they’ll ship if you provide copy of ltc??

Btw - MA sucks.

I loaded up my first small batches of 7.62x54r using 174 grain Hornady .303 bullets on top of IMR4895 in new PPU brass. There's not a lot of money to be saved loading this caliber, but I'm hoping to find a load that works well in my PU sniper. I usually shoot Czech silvertip and Bulgy light ball out of it, which makes for cheap shooting because I bought the tins quite a few years back. It would be nice to not have to clean it immediately, though, when time is an issue!

IMG_5797.jpg

I loaded up my first small batches of 7.62x54r using 174 grain Hornady .303 bullets on top of IMR4895 in new PPU brass. There's not a lot of money to be saved loading this caliber, but I'm hoping to find a load that works well in my PU sniper. I usually shoot Czech silvertip and Bulgy light ball out of it, which makes for cheap shooting because I bought the tins quite a few years back. It would be nice to not have to clean it immediately, though, when time is an issue!

View attachment 848476
I got a M44 and two cans and some once fired PPU brass I should probably sell. Haven’t shot the damn thing in prob 4+ years

But yeah the need to make sure I clean when I get home is probably part of the reason I don’t shoot it

View attachment 848476

The load I use for my PU Sniper is Sierra #2200 168 grain Match Kings over 45.2 grains of Varget in NEW and once fired Winchester Brass ! Very accurate out to 200 yards.

Groove diameter with Mosins is all over the place. Some shoot well with .308 bullets but some don't. Made and shot some slug loads for a 590 AOW. The slugs were a Lee that looks like a Foster and a Lyman that looks like a giant air gun pellet. The powder was 18 to 20 grains of Winchester WST. Both slugs are designed to fit inside a standard wad. The Lyman did slightly better than the Lee.

Why I ended up with several milk crates of .30-06, IDK. I don't even own a .30-06.
So, since primers are unavailable at a price I'm willing to pay, I'm tearing down any '06 rounds that have a .30-30 profile bullet and using the primers, bullets and sometimes powder to load some .30-30 fodder, which I can shoot.

If you run short of bullets and have casting/sizing capabilities, take empty 5.7x28mm cases, fill them with molten lead, size to .310ish and, voila!, a 200gr JSWC.

View: https://i.imgur.com/Vg4baBu.jpg

I tried to find my chrono data from the load I mentioned, but I think it's lost with my old laptop. I know it was out of my G34 which has a 5.3" barrel. I checked the recent Hornady reloading manual and they have the CFE pistol max charge at 5.8 gns with an OAL of 1.1" for the RN projectile.
Decided to switch it up a little and try Titegroup. Started with this:

115g FMJ loaded to 1.145"
4.4g Titegroup
CCI #500
3.4" barrel

5 over the chrono got:

Average 1053, SD 10, high 1067, low 1040, es 27

Noticably less/smoother recoil than my 1160 fps CFE Pistol and 1180 fps Power Pistol loads, but still showed a little primer flow back into firing pin channel.

A little tricky to pick a starting load for this one. Hornady showed 4.1g max with 1100fps, Hodgdon showed 4.5g starting load and 1135fps with 4" barrel.

My son prefers 147 grain in his Glock 17. He says they recoil less than 115 or 124 grain. He uses Titegroup but I forget the load It's 3. something.
One of the guys at the steel match this morning was running a CZ Shadow, and I noticed it has practically no muzzle flip. Very flat shooting platform. I asked him what he was running, and he said 147s with a light load of some kind of Vihtvuori that worked out to about 950fps.

Dude was fast.

Compared to me, everybody's fast though. I again elected to choose the wrong tool for the job and brought a G27 with irons today. :) One of the guys came up to me after my last stage and told me I'm too accurate. I'm shooting little groups. He goes, "You just have to hit the plate. You can speed up a bit."

One of the guys at the steel match this morning was running a CZ Shadow, and I noticed it has practically no muzzle flip. Very flat shooting platform. I asked him what he was running, and he said 147s with a light load of some kind of Vihtvuori that worked out to about 950fps.

Dude was fast.

Compared to me, everybody's fast though. I again elected to choose the wrong tool for the job and brought a G27 with irons today. :) One of the guys came up to me after my last stage and told me I'm too accurate. I'm shooting little groups. He goes, "You just have to hit the plate. You can speed up a bit."
I have a cast bullet that is about 142/143 and I get 900 fps with 3.2 gns of Titegroup out of a 4.9 inch barrel.

I can attest to the lighter recoil. It's way easier to shoot than 115 in the same gun.

Less powder, heavier bullet. 147-152gr are perfect for 9mm. 115gr has too much powder, its a waste. 9mm will never have a shockwave or spawl & tumble like a rifle round so the goal is maximum expansion in the wound track. Thus, heavier bullet, less powder, less recoil, easier to control, and get off more rounds on target in less time.

View attachment 848476

There's not a lot of money to be saved, but I've found that every Mosin I own responds well to handloading. It's possible to get good, consistent accuracy even out of a plain jane 91/30 using good components.

Shit. I’m partial to their titegroup. Try emailing them and see if they’ll ship if you provide copy of ltc??

Btw - MA sucks.
Yup. But imho try local first as the hazmat shipping always makes the good deals less shiny. Saw some titegroup at bass pro the other day in foxborough. Didn’t check the price though. Sorry had to remove a reference to a site that ships here…. Saw the forum could be used against the vendor. Such bullshit

Last edited:
Had a chance to run some blem 55 grain jacketed soft points today. Loaded them with 24.4 grains of H335 and CCI #400 primers, seated to 2.180" which is just where the cannelure matched up nicely with the mouth of the brass.

I normally test rifles at 100 yards, but today the range was covered in snow, so I wimped out a bit and set up a target along with some water bottles on the 25 yard range. I can't recall the last time I ran a rifle on a range that short. Didn't bother setting up the chrono. Fixed 4x optic.

Started off with the water bottles. The JSPs don't have the explosive effect that Hornady 50 grain Vmaxes do, but it was a little better than FMJs.

Put 5 round in the paper target, with the rifle resting on a stool while I knelt in the snow. I'm zeroed at 100 yards so it hit nearly 2 inches low, but when I walked down range I was just like... uh, that's a 1/3" group. That can't be right... one, two, three, four, five... yup they're all there. Have been shooting little carry handguns a lot lately, so it was weird to see such a small group.

Last edited:
Couple months ago, we're sitting on the couch watching a movie, and the wife in the movie's bitching at the husband, saying (more or less), "yeah, I'll say blah, blah, blah, you'll pretend to listen and at the end you'll just do whatever you want to do".

My wife looks at me, laughs, and says "that's you, that's exactly what you f***ing do because you're Allen". I just laughed, because it's true.

She's right. We have conversations, I think about what she's said/saying; then I do whatever I want to. Sometimes it means that I change my mind because of what she said - sometimes not. Sometimes there are consequences.

So, this is just - if I decide to go shooting at Volusia when I'm in the keys - I'm gonna do it. It'll be a logistics question.
@bigblue

No SCUBA but -

1708101119827.png
1708101180511.png

I had to google what gssf was lol

Decent list of divisions, how often do they run those? It’s difficult to keep track of all the matches going tbh, it’s crazy how many there are.

I had to google what gssf was lol

Decent list of divisions, how often do they run those? It’s difficult to keep track of all the matches going tbh, it’s crazy how many there are.

Often. Seriously. Pretty much every weekend. I think there are two separate crews from Glock, one for East Coast, one for West, don't know about the Mid-West.

Here's a fairly decent explanation of the match format:

Here's a link to GSSF OutDoor Match page:

Quick search on that page, by State, using Florida gives:
02/17 - Northern Florida Regional Classic in Midway
02/24 - Volusia County GSSF Match, in New Smyrna
04/20 - Homestead Glock Challenge in Homestead
04/27 - Emerald Coast Glock Classic in Holt
10/05 - Manatee Gun Club Glock Challenge in Myakka City

I meant how many matches of different types we have at Volusia every week.

Can I shoot my PSA Dagger?

View attachment 851315

You could probably shoot it without issue at Tier-1 (local) USPSA, IDPA and Steel Challenge matches. You might have issues with equipment inspections at Tier-2 and above - and you definitely can't shoot it at a GSSF match.

Started building up my stash of 32SW I can believe I consumed all 50 rounds already……has it really been 5 years…View attachment 851620
Is that the same as 32 short? I have a box of them I’ll never use if so, can’t Remeber if it’s brass or loaded ammo I’ll check when I get home you’re welcome to them

Attachments

• 0B2FD51F-1600-46A6-A06D-0B30BA0799D7.jpeg
    0B2FD51F-1600-46A6-A06D-0B30BA0799D7.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom