What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I was thinking that as well. What's. 001 among friends? I ordered it anyways. A little bigger is probably better than smaller.
Exactly. Agreed bigger is ok. You can size down to .001” no problem. It’s actually better to size down .001” or so. Just enough to make them all exactly the same. If your mould drops at .401” and your heat or alloy changes a bit it could be off by a little bit. Totally minor inconsistencies which probably are shadowed by the other 1000 factors during loading and shooting but dropping a little larger and sizing down eliminates this.

got enough, finally, of playing with a 3d printer, and loaded 100 of 6 dasher into brand new alpha brass, then loaded 300 of 6.5CM with LRPs using hornady elds, then loaded 100 6.5CM on blem noslers 140gr HPBTs.
will see how those cheap ones will fly, but, do not hold a lot of hope - this stuff is truly blem, their tips are all over the place. but, a 21c per bullet. should work up to 200yds, i think.

573601AC-B65B-4932-9BF6-0A821FD63630.jpeg

Gave away two MEC presses, 20 & 12 gauge that i set up like a year ago and never used. Took them to the pro shop at my club in boxes labeled “free”. Kid behind the counter immediately texted her father to see if she could have them.

Promptly filled up the space freed up with a dedicated cleaning tray, which gives me back some of my bench top.

Then loaded about 800 rounds of 9mm; mix of 124 plated and 147 poly. The poly is a new load - primarily for pins.

Decided I wanted to shoot/ hunt more with 45-70 next year. Started brass prep on 200 pieces of once fired brass. As I was not looking forward to loading on a single stage press- I ordered the 45-70 conversion kit for the Dillon 550

I also deprimed and ran 200 pcs 6.5 CM through tumbler.

cold weather begins the season of brass prep for me

Picked up some old Speer 160 grain jacketed soft point 38s from one of the local shops clearing out an estate. I think they need to go through an Airweight and find some steel.

View attachment 691555
3.9g Titegroup, CCI 500, Speer 160g JSP
Out of the 442, 1 7/8" barrel:
1 2 3 4 5 - Avg SD ES
656 676 756 736 693 - 703 42 100

586, 6" barrel:
693 693 711 709 723 - 706 13 30

Walked over to the 100 yard rifle range. Making hits on a torso silhouette with the 586 was pretty easy. With the snub, much harder, but out of 5 I was able to put 2 on it, with my hands resting on the bench. I thought I was going to have to hold over, but I was sending them over the top when I did that. Sights were dead on at 100 yards.

Also chronoed these 357s. The first one is loud, with a lot of recoil, and it really rings the steels. Second pretty similar but toned down a little. Third noticably less concussion and recoil but still obviously a magnum.

13.4g 2400, CCI 500, Sierra #8350 170g FMJ
1267 1218 1259 1227 1184 - 1231 33 83

14.4g 2400, CCI 500, Zero 158g JSP
1236 1216 1242 1224 1204 - 1224 15 38

17.0g 2400, CCI 500, Speer #4013 125g JHP
1400 1364 1380 1353 1333 - 1366 26 67

Aaaand... because I have plenty of components and these turned out pretty good... 40 S&W out of a G22. Also easy to make 100 yard hits on a full size torso silhouette. These are full power, but don't slap the slide against the frame too sharply.
6.5g Power Pistol, Fed 100, Zero 180g FMJ flat nose
993 1003 985 989 998
975 988 986 989 994 - 994 7.1 18

Last edited:
Also chronoed these 357s.

13.4g 2400, CCI 500, Sierra #8350 170g FMJ
1267 1218 1259 1227 1184 - 1231 33 83
Loaded up 5 more of these exactly the same, except with CCI #41 primers (the only small rifle primers I have), to see if they light off, and crater less. Will also run them across the chrono.
Aaaand... because I have plenty of components and these turned out pretty good... 40 S&W out of a G22. Also easy to make 100 yard hits on a full size torso silhouette. These are full power, but don't slap the slide against the frame too sharply.
6.5g Power Pistol, Fed 100, Zero 180g FMJ flat nose
993 1003 985 989 998
975 988 986 989 994 - 994 7.1 18
Loaded up 100 more of these. Might be able make it to a steel challenge match tomorrow.

Last edited:
Loaded up 5 more of these exactly the same, except with CCI #41 primers (the only small rifle primers I have), to see if they light off, and crater less. Will also run them across the chrono.
Well that was a big fat flop. Same recipe, except CCI #41s instead of #500s. Hand weighed powder charges trickled up, all dead on.

Of 5, only 2 lit off on the first hit, 2 more lit off on the second hit, and 1 didn't light off after maybe half a dozen strikes and I chalked it up as a dud. All stock springs. I never have light strike problems with this one.

Of the 4 that did light, they were all over the place:

On the plus side, even on the one that went over 1400fps, with a 170 grain bullet, there was no primer cratering around the firing pin strike, and it definitely did look a little flattened out. I'm just about out of 2400, and Sierra 170g FMJs, but I have a pound of Ramshot Enforcer and 180s from Sierra and Hornady. I'm going to see how that goes with CCI 550s and Federal 200s.

Loaded up 100 more of these. Might be able make it to a steel challenge match tomorrow.
Oh, did make it to my first pistol match in maybe 5 years yesterday. G22, 1000fps 180g FMJ, all stock with iron sights. Cutting edge 1995 technology. :)

Course of fire was 81 targets. I used 84 rounds.

Club is pretty inclusive and accommodating, relaxed atmosphere. A few people were running Ruger 10/22 rifles, one with a red dot, and we were all lumped in together with someone running a pocket pistol, a full size 1911, etc. So with those running 22s, they didn't have to knock down the steels as long as they made the hit. Haven't seen the results of the match yet but I suspect I landed somewhere just past half way on time. I'm slow, but I usually hit.

I haven't had a proper workbench at home since new motorcycles had carburetors. Have been working off a couple folding tables for over ten years. Finally looked around at all my piles of wood and fasteners left over from various homeowner projects, and decided what I had on hand was close enough. Had a couple pieces of butcher block countertop left over from a kitchen project. Some pieces of 6x6s, tins full of various deck screws, etc. Whatever is here is becoming a reloading bench / work bench. Had to make 1 run to Home Depot for a couple fir 2x4x8s, some joist hangers, and a fresh tube of construction adhesive. Everything else I already had and was never going to actually use for anything else, so this cost me something like $30.

I'd rather not drill holes in the basement wall to anchor it to the wall, so I think I'll just run a couple studs along the sides of the rear legs up to the floor joists of the floor above to help it stay put when I'm hauling down on the press lever. Everything's nice and square, lots of bearing area between the 2x4s and the 6x6s. I'm not woodworker, so no fancy joints. It's basically built like a deck (that doesn't have to pass inspection... ). Screws and construction adhesive. Feels solid.

IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0154.JPG

I haven't had a proper workbench at home since new motorcycles had carburetors. Have been working off a couple folding tables for over ten years. Finally looked around at all my piles of wood and fasteners left over from various homeowner projects, and decided what I had on hand was close enough. Had a couple pieces of butcher block countertop left over from a kitchen project. Some pieces of 6x6s, tins full of various deck screws, etc. Whatever is here is becoming a reloading bench / work bench. Had to make 1 run to Home Depot for a couple fir 2x4x8s, some joist hangers, and a fresh tube of construction adhesive. Everything else I already had and was never going to actually use for anything else, so this cost me something like $30.

I'd rather not drill holes in the basement wall to anchor it to the wall, so I think I'll just run a couple studs along the sides of the rear legs up to the floor joists of the floor above to help it stay put when I'm hauling down on the press lever. Everything's nice and square, lots of bearing area between the 2x4s and the 6x6s. I'm not woodworker, so no fancy joints. It's basically built like a deck (that doesn't have to pass inspection... ). Screws and construction adhesive. Feels solid.

View attachment 696188View attachment 696189
Looking good.
That doesn’t look like it wouldn’t move much while reloading. I do like anchoring though. I’m sure a Ramset to the wall would be fine too.

Such a clean and organized empty corner of one's workshop. When I first moved into my house in '04 my workshop was spacious and perfectly clean. Jump to current :rolleyes:

IMG_20221209_213257252.jpg

Nice work! A shelf underneath with all your heavy kit on it would add to it's stability...

Agreed. I’d actually prefer a shelf to the corner struts for structural strength and support.
A shelf would certain have more utility. But I like to be able to roll some things in under the bench when I'm not using it like an air compressor and floor jack. And when I'm sitting at the bench, I like to be able to stretch my legs out without having anything in the way. Just a personal preference.

I also had most of a roll of 30 pound roofing felt kicking around, so I put two layers down on top of the plywood before putting the butcher block down, to damp out rattles and squeaks and just make it sound more solid.

I'm considering, instead of drilling holes in the butcher block for every oddball thing I want to have secured to it (Dillon 550 press, Pacific DL266 shotshell press, Dillon primer swager, RCBS Uniflow, RCBS case trimmer) installing some threaded inserts in the top, and making adapter plates that I can bolt down to the top and swap out as needed. Or possibly set up some sort of receiver along the back of the bench with adapter plates that slip in to that, and clamp down at the front overhang.

I load a LOT of 124 grn plated 9mm over 4.0 grains of TiteGroup. It makes powerfactor in all of my guns, cycles them all reliably, and gives me a nice consistent feel.

That being said - I wanted something a little heavier, a little hotter to shoot medium bore pin league with. So I bought some 147 grain loads from North Florida Ammo, (I shoot with the owner and some of his staff somewhat regularly). I shot pins with their ammo last season and was pleased. Then I got some 147 grain bullets at NER as a prize item, brought them home and started thinking. Generally not a good idea, but I digress.

Anyhow, I loaded up 10 or so, took them to the range, was happy with them; loaded a bunch more. I shot a match this weekend where they had a chrono setup, so I took advantage of it. Ran NFA's rounds through it, and mine also.

Pleased to see that mine are a bit faster than NFA's - they should make fine pin loads.

IMG_2292.jpg

First try with Enforcer. Starting off with 13.5g and 158g speer #4211 JHP, 5 each with CCI #550 and Federal #200. Just swiped the primers with Sharpies to mark which is which. Will chrono these and go from there.
View attachment 694145
Hmm. Lot slower than the Hodgdon site said they would be.

Hodgdon site: ramshot_357.png

Out of a 6" S&W 586 this afternoon:
13.5g Ramshot, 158g speer #4211 JHP, CCI 550: 1052, 1092, 905, 1080, 1104, avg 1046, ES 119, SD 81
13.5g Ramshot, 158g speer #4211 JHP, Fed 200: 899, 831, 819, 758, 837, avg 828, ES 141, SD 50 - these felt and sounded like 38s

Hmm. Lot slower than the Hodgdon site said they would be.

Hodgdon site: View attachment 697217

Out of a 6" S&W 586 this afternoon:
13.5g Ramshot, 158g speer #4211 JHP, CCI 550: 1052, 1092, 905, 1080, 1104, avg 1046, ES 119, SD 81
13.5g Ramshot, 158g speer #4211 JHP, Fed 200: 899, 831, 819, 758, 837, avg 828, ES 141, SD 50 - these felt and sounded like 38s
I think that 10" test barrel doesn't have a flash gap. If we throw out the outlier with the CC550 and account for a flash gap and difference in barrel length, I don't think the numbers look that surprising. For the Fed 200 results, I got nuthin'. Something's wrong there. I've got some Fed 200 primers at home. I hope Federal didn't put out some underperforming crap. I've also got some Enforcer at home, and what you're telling me is that I probably need to see if it's going to work for me.

One thing... It was right around 35 degrees when I got to the range. I set up the chrono and (water bottle) targets, took out my range box with the ammo from the back seat of my truck, ran the 5 CCI primed rounds, jotted down some notes and walked down range to clean up the mess and set up new targets, then ran the stuff primed with Federal 200. So the Federal primed ammo was sitting out in the cold on the bench for maybe 10 minutes or so before I ran it. Ramshot is ball powder, so... *shrug*

I'm going to load up 5 more with CCI 550 at 14.0 grains and see where I am there.

I was hand weighing and trickling up the charges for each of these, so they're pretty dead-on. After I ran those, I ran 5 of the 125 grain Speer JHP, 17.0 grains of 2400, CCI 500 rounds and got this:
1280, 1330, 1298, 1384, 1325, avg 1323, ES 104, SD 39. And those were nice, nice muzzle flash, loud like a rifle, and didn't quite vaporize water bottle targets but definitely had a nice effect. The Federal primed Ramshot load was just poking holes in the water bottles.

Okay, went back to the range with 5 more Ramshot Enforcer. Hodgdon says 14.0g max load, but my Lyman says 14.2, and given the slightly sluggish numbers I got last time, I went with 14.2, CCI550, Speer 158g JHP. Kept the rounds in my pocket until just before loading to keep them from getting cold.
1176, 1184, 1144, 1093, 1188, avg 1157, ES 95, SD 39

Also brought 5 of the same rounds, but loaded with 16.7g of H110
1137, 1129, 1157, 1093, 1139, avg 1131, ES 64, SD 23

It was mid day and sunny, so if there was any muzzle flash, I couldn't see it.

All in all, not bad. Enforcer seems happier loaded right up. I'm not jazzed about the SD numbers, but I'm running these in a revolver so maybe one of the chambers is reamed a little differently than the others. I guess next time out I could run each round in the same chamber.

About a month ago I ran something similar with Zero 158g JSP and 14.4g of 2400 with CCI 500s:
1236, 1218, 1259, 1227, 1184, avg 1224, ES 38, SD 15. So I think I still like 2400 the most, but at least I have options.

Last edited:
This past week I took the reloading area in my basement apart and started over. I’m just into my second year in this house and what I had put together quickly last year wasn’t working for me. First the closest outlet near my reloading area was 10 feet away. The lighting was poor and that area of basement was coldest part of house. So I began by running a new 20 amp circuit from the main panel. It runs first to reloading area then over to my work bench area. Reloading area got six outlets, one of them switched so I don’t have to plug/ unplug tumbler to turn it on and off. I relocated the overhead basement lights in general and added a few more. Then added 4 ft led shop lights above reloading bench and work bench. I can see! Plus the extension cords went away.

while running wires in ceiling of basement along exterior wall it became apparent why that area was cold. That end basement wall was missing half the insulation between floor joists and exterior wall. There was nothing for the 8 ft above my reloading bench. The half that was there was poorly installed. So I took out what was there and reinsulated it all. Great improvement in temperature

so the work is all done. Tomorrow I start moving and setting everything back up.

All the items I ordered to start reloading 45-70 ( and .243) on the 550 came in a week ago and they are still sitting in un opened packages. It’s killing me.

This past week I took the reloading area in my basement apart and started over.
This is why I love my reloading area. It's the one space in the world where I don't have to get a committee to come to a consensus on how to set it up. I can just do whatever I want.

Entertainment system is now set up. Found some nice little JBL bookshelf speakers at a thrift shop for $25, made up some mounts to hang them from the floor joists. Bench weighs an absolute ton, so it looks like I don't have to anchor it to anything unless I start resizing some pretty serious rifle rounds.

Am trying a 3/4" MDF mounting plate for the press, that I can just clamp down to the bench instead of drilling into the bench. Got a 2'x4' sheet, cut it to be a little longer than the bench is wide, ran a roundover bit around the edges top and bottom, countersunk some 1/4x20 screws into the bottom (actually threaded into the MDF so they stay put when I flip it over) wiped it down with some Danish oil, and it seems like it's doing the trick. I'll mount the Pacific DL266 shotshell press to the other end so I can just spin the plate around 180 degrees to switch from the Dillon to loading shotshell. I'm going to use the rest of the MDF sheet in a similar way to make a base for the Uniflow, brass trimmer, primer pocket swager, etc.

0162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom