• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

So it begins….

I decided it’s easier to unpack/organize my basement if I set up my benches so I can get other things off the floor.

Question/opinions needed please…

Is this going to be too close to my wood stove?

View attachment 688303

The closest powder measure will be 7’ away from the front door of the stove.

View attachment 688305

And about 8’ from the flu pipe that goes up through the center of the house.

View attachment 688306

Definitely don’t want any accidents, but this is the most favored spot for my reloading bench(es) because it’s on the warmer side of the cellar, and is exposed to less moisture than the other side.

What say you, NES…good to go? Too close for comfort in case of a rogue spark?

Keep in mind, my powder and primers will likely be stored elsewhere in the house, so the only thing that could/would potentially ignite would be a single powder measure full or an open bottle on my bench which is very rare that would even be present and not without me being around.
Keep things clean and it will be fine.

Many people reload by their furnaces and boilers. As long you dont spill power all over there's no hazard.

Seven feet from the stove should be too far away to ignite anything but you may get uncomfortably warm.

To be clear, I think most people in Kentucky spend their summers in the basement too (if they have one) as opposed to mostly in the winter. I likely won’t have time to or be set up enough to reload this winter, but I should be ready for the summer heat.

Winter is definitely for casting though. I casted once or twice when it was warm out and did not have very much fun at all.

To be clear, I think most people in Kentucky spend their summers in the basement too (if they have one) as opposed to mostly in the winter. I likely won’t have time to or be set up enough to reload this winter, but I should be ready for the summer heat.

Winter is definitely for casting though. I casted once or twice when it was warm out and did not have very much fun at all.

Did you get rid of all the harbor freight red powder coat? 😂😂😂

Picked up the new Lee Pro 6000 with shell plates for 9mm and 223/380.
This one will get decked out with bullet and case feeders.
So far just set it up for 9mm just enough to run a few cases around.

1 - Indexing
Indexing is positive and clean with a ball detent but runs on a sacrificial plastic ratchet and is fast - will need to regulate handle speed carefully with full cases.
Also it's easy to get it to double index but that's not a big issue as long as you are paying attention.
2 - Strength
It's surprisingly heavy compared to the loadmaster. Sizing 9mm unlubed with a carbide die is easy.
3 - Priming
Only used a few spent primers to test with.
Downstroke priming has great feedback.
Gravity feed will need 8-10 primers to reliably feed but this is normal. The difference from the Loadmaster is you can easily see the primers in the chute and guide.
Unknown is how the use of a single primer ram will effect large primers (I plan on only using it for small primer loads 380,9mm, 223 and 300AAC)
4 - stations
Has a full 6 usable stations
The shell plates rotates CCW so the powder is dropped in the rear where the Indexing rod blocks a clear view. However with 6 stations a powder cop die is easily accommodated.
5 - case feeding
Needs improvement- the case pusher is universal so small diameter cases can get lost in the wide mouth of the pusher and jam.
I will be modeling up new pushers to better align cases to the shell plate.
6 - ejection
Only tried 9mm but that ejects cleanly

20221120_165320.jpg

Looks like I have a bad case of Blackheads!!
Good thing I have an appointment on Sunday with Dr Steel…. I think one visit to his “office” will help me get rid of them!!! 😂

Attachments

• E3F70FCF-F3BB-4710-B4A8-6C3550C6FEF8.jpeg
    E3F70FCF-F3BB-4710-B4A8-6C3550C6FEF8.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 6802A083-D70B-4FF3-951A-CCD3F89C82D1.jpeg
    6802A083-D70B-4FF3-951A-CCD3F89C82D1.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 17
I used to cast handgun bullets when someone else was paying for my time. If I can buy 1000 bullets for about 100 bucks it's not worth spending the day casting sizing and lubing 1000 bullets. For now, my time s worth much more than that. Rifle bullets (especially oddball ones) is a different story.

I used to cast handgun bullets when someone else was paying for my time. If I can buy 1000 bullets for about 100 bucks it's not worth spending the day casting sizing and lubing 1000 bullets. For now, my time s worth much more than that. Rifle bullets (especially oddball ones) is a different story.
Yeah it’s all what fits for you. I understand your side of things. I have a young family so I have more time than money at this point in life.
Also I really do enjoy it and it’s a big stress relief time for me when I’m casting.

I made 1000 bullets yesterday. Half coated. Half lubed.
The lead cost me a little over a $1 total. Maybe another $3 in lube, coating and electricity

You should get a mould
I have molds for various calibers, just not .400. Been shooting 10mm a lot lately. I know I can cast and save a bunch, but I just don't have the time right now. Definitely something for me to do in January/February. I'll be ordering a mold for sure.
The last few molds I got were through group buys on cast boolits, I need to check my records, I don't remember the company. Somewhere in Europe I think. Nice molds, way better than lee.

Yeah it’s all what fits for you. I understand your side of things. I have a young family so I have more time than money at this point in life.
Also I really do enjoy it and it’s a big stress relief time for me when I’m casting.

I’d figure you’d have neither time OR money with a young family. You must have a pretty tolerant wife, that’s for sure!

I have molds for various calibers, just not .400. Been shooting 10mm a lot lately. I know I can cast and save a bunch, but I just don't have the time right now. Definitely something for me to do in January/February. I'll be ordering a mold for sure.
The last few molds I got were through group buys on cast boolits, I need to check my records, I don't remember the company. Somewhere in Europe I think. Nice molds, way better than lee.
Ahh MP. They have a 25% off sale right now. You should jump on it.
I’d figure you’d have neither time OR money with a young family. You must have a pretty tolerant wife, that’s for sure!
Thank God for my wife. She lets me know when I’m out of line but she’s great about giving me the time I need to chill out.

Ahh MP. They have a 25% off sale right now. You should jump on it.

Thank God for my wife. She lets me know when I’m out of line but she’s great about giving me the time I need to chill out.
That's the guy. Great molds. Nothing available in .401, just .402. Not sure if I will have time to start slugging barrels, see any issue with .402? Thinking about this one:

That's the guy. Great molds. Nothing available in .401, just .402. Not sure if I will have time to start slugging barrels, see any issue with .402? Thinking about this one:

It takes 5 minutes, lol. I’m not judging because I know most of you probably have kids/families/wives and all that noise, but slugging a barrel is super quick.

It takes 5 minutes, lol. I’m not judging because I know most of you probably have kids/families/wives and all that noise, but slugging a barrel is super quick.
You can judge, I'll still like you. I'm out with the wife, and was just going to order one. Not sure when the sale ends. Since they don't have any at all in .401, I'll take my chance with the .402.

I have shit luck. If I wait until late tonight, i can guarantee the sale ends at 1400 or something. Since I placed an order, I will bet the sale lasts for two more weeks now.

If you need a .401, can't you size a .402 down to .401? I know there's a limit before you start to distort the bullet but I'm guessing .001 wouldn't be a problem.
I was thinking that as well. What's. 001 among friends? I ordered it anyways. A little bigger is probably better than smaller.

Back
Top Bottom