What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I just reloaded my first 458 Win Mag ... which is massive next to a 45-70, 460 SW and 9mm.

My shoulder hurts just looking at it [laugh]

View attachment 633050
Let us know how those FTX's shoot. I personally never saw good accuracy loading them in my 460 mag. FTX's are very pricey too. My 460 mag definately prefers XTP's

Let us know how those FTX's shoot. I personally never saw good accuracy loading them in my 460 mag. FTX's are very pricey too. My 460 mag definately prefers XTP's
I bought those like 2 years ago to try with the 45/70 ... only used half the box. Accuracy was good, but too expensive for the amount I shoot.

So I decided why not try them here. All my other .458 bullets are cast (usually using softer alloy). I think this will be too much for a cast bullet without a gas check. Maybe if I cast using range lead and hi-tek coat them they will be able to handle it.

I bought those like 2 years ago to try with the 45/70 ... only used half the box. Accuracy was good, but too expensive for the amount I shoot.

So I decided why not try them here. All my other .458 bullets are cast (usually using softer alloy). I think this will be too much for a cast bullet without a gas check. Maybe if I cast using range lead and hi-tek coat them they will be able to handle it.
I knee jerk bought these from Rileys many years ago. I dont need them. Will they work for 458 mag rifle ? They do in fact measure .. 459

IMG_20220707_093005285_HDR.jpg

What order does every one process .223/5.56? I’ve been doing decap/size, swage, trim, then prime, but I’ve noticed the swagging rod/die will mess with the neck/shoulder.

Should I decap, swage, size, then trim?
i also do not swag. it all is really up to you, how to set your brass prep routines.

i follow what i think is a common sense approach that works for me.
if i get a new/used brass - other than .223 - first deprime and run it through my full size die and shoot it to make it up to my chamber for precision guns i care about.

after it was shot and fireformed - i run it through depriming in the full size die, that pushes shoulder down 0.002". it is already preset for what it needs to be.
then it goes for neck trimming - using frankford arsenal unit on a drill. after that on the new .223 and .308 i usually have second drill on other vise spinning the primer pocket reamer - to cut off a bit of brass from the pocket edge so primers would pop in easier. this primer reaming happens only once, really, on a new used brass i never trimmed - and after that it is just not needed anymore.
then brass goes into a storage box, until i will feel like priming it and then may be loading it.

for .223 brass pre-shooting it makes not much sense.

Loaded enough 9mm to last me through the end of the IDPA season. This time instead of running out of primers I ran out of bullets. Haven't bought any bullets in 2 years because I wanted to make sure I could get primers. No since in buying a ton of bullets when you don't have any primers.

Regardless time to order some bullets. Thinking of making the jump from Ibejiheads to Blue Bullets but that is only because I know someone sponsored by Blue Bullets and he gets discounts based on how may bullets people buy using his code.

Loaded enough 9mm to last me through the end of the IDPA season. This time instead of running out of primers I ran out of bullets. Haven't bought any bullets in 2 years because I wanted to make sure I could get primers. No since in buying a ton of bullets when you don't have any primers.

Regardless time to order some bullets. Thinking of making the jump from Ibejiheads to Blue Bullets but that is only because I know someone sponsored by Blue Bullets and he gets discounts based on how may bullets people buy using his code.
Yeah blues are a no brainer. They ship fast

Found this handy dandy chart for 10mm.
A little disappointing it doesn't list anything heavier than 220 gr.
If your looking to be lobbing 220+ gr bullets semi-auto you should probably seek out a different caliber. The intended gas system can only handle a certain range of pressure and speed.

Cranked out 98 rounds of 9mm last week just because I didn't like how the 100-round plastic box looked with just two rounds in it.

Admired it until this morning, when I went out and shot 2 mags' worth while waiting for the rifle range to open up. Then I reloaded.

So? Now I've got 27 empty slots in that damn plastic box. Ergo, I've just decapped today's brass and into the tumbler they go!

I loaded some .44 magnum. A dozen rounds each with a 240 grain coated bullet and Titegroup, Unique, 2400, IMR4227 and H4227 to see if the model 29 has a preference. I'm looking for something around 1000 fps.
With 240 grain cast and 11 grains of unique my chrono showed 1171 fps average out of my 4 inch 629.

so, discovered 5 boxes of .223 75gr hornady bthp bullets in the box i never opened, loaded 40 in 23-24.5gr varget, with a step of 0.5gr.
loaded some 6 dasher to make a 100rd box full. :)
then loaded more .223 to make other 100rd box full, on 69gr SMK.
then got bored and counted up how much varget is still left. thencounted primers. then opened an another beer. then typed this.
it is just too damn hot outside...

took apart one of dillon powder measures and applied some thin layer of paint to the bar, as an experiment - to see if it will be biting less now.

Well as I suspected my 240 gr H110 reloads ran just over 1500 fps through the 14.5" barrel on the desert eagle. Accurate out to 120 yards too when I didn’t flinch 😆 View attachment 639110View attachment 639111
Hows the sight picture on that scope ? I have the Burris 3-12x and its terrible if i dial out beyond 8x. The sight picture is like a light switch, i obtain a nice picture then if i move my head even the slightest the picture literally disappears to black. Another issue with the Burris is the 14" eye relief just too close for shooting a handgun.

Hows the sight picture on that scope ? I have the Burris 3-12x and its terrible if i dial out beyond 8x. The sight picture is like a light switch, i obtain a nice picture then if i move my head even the slightest the picture literally disappears to black. Another issue with the Burris is the 14" eye relief just too close for shooting a handgun.
I have 3 of these scopes and no complaints. The eye relief is 20" and the scope is clear and doesn't get wonky at 6x magnification. The scopes have been discontinued so the last one I bought was on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom