• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

When it comes to shooting I will always lean back to 22lr for actual trigger time when things get rough or scarce.
If the cost of reloading is not good enough vs buying ammo then I will stock up on factory ammo.
Nothing wrong with quality time behind a 22 trainer. I actually have a 22 setup in the same stock as my a couple of my centerfires.

I haven't shot my M1 Carbine in years because the trimming process for this brass is so tedious. Got the itch again, so I grabbed an RCBS trim pro 2. It's no Giraud, but much better than chucking each case into the drill and using the Lee trimmer.

Found a 30 carbine 550 conversion kit on a forum for a good price, that'll be here early next week. Looking forward to loading up some 30 carbine.

Ordered some cast bullets a few days ago and they were in the mail box today. I made some light .44 SPL and .45 ACP loads with Bullseye, HP38, Unique and IMR4227. The guns are a S&W model 24 and a CZ97B.
Hows 4227 work in 45acp? I've only used it for 357 mag and 44 mag for use in rifles and its been a fantastic accurate load out of longer barrels.

When it comes to shooting I will always lean back to 22lr for actual trigger time when things get rough or scarce.
If the cost of reloading is not good enough vs buying ammo then I will stock up on factory ammo.
Same here , I shot a shitload of .22lr this past year , and had just as much fun as shooting anything else.

I've tried it, no luck
It vomits out what it doesn't burn. Too slow a burn for a short barrel.
Agreed. Even in my carbines it leaves kernels in the action of my ruger 44 carbine. Doesn't effect reliability and it cleans up easy but just a small annoyance considering the accuracy I'm getting out of it theough that 44 mag rifle and also my 357 lever carbine. I've found a very heavy crimp helps reduce it......I'm guessing it allows pressure to build up and a mire complete burn of the charge.

I've tried those 4427 loads in my blackhawk revolver in 357 and the accuracy was not there. I've dedicated that powder to use in the rifles.

Agreed. Even in my carbines it leaves kernels in the action of my ruger 44 carbine. Doesn't effect reliability and it cleans up easy but just a small annoyance considering the accuracy I'm getting out of it theough that 44 mag rifle and also my 357 lever carbine. I've found a very heavy crimp helps reduce it......I'm guessing it allows pressure to build up and a mire complete burn of the charge.

I've tried those 4427 loads in my blackhawk revolver in 357 and the accuracy was not there. I've dedicated that powder to use in the rifles.

Yep. I think its a single base powder?
Have had better luck with it in .357 180 gr. out of a handgun. Heavier crimp like you said.
Saving what I have left for levergun loads.

I just found out my local library has a 3D printer we can use. Does anyone have files for simple reloading bits for a Dillon 550 that could be printed relatively quickly? I'm a total newbie to this.
Look through Thingverse.com, that's your best resource. I just did a quick search for Dillon 550 and got a bunch of results...

Looks like the first layer lifted a bit but doesn't seem to be a problem. If it was PLA that's pretty surprising, but maybe they are using PETG or something? (I doubt it was ABS). PLA doesn't usually warp like that unless it is was too hot.

3d printing can be addictive.
I'm already addicted. That was super cool. It was PLA, but the platen wasn't perfectly clean when we started. There was some residue from previous prints on it. It's been sitting idle for over a month as library visitaiton's been pretty low lately. We basically just dusted off the deck, loaded the file, and hit the go button.

IMG_8929.JPG

I'm already addicted. That was super cool. It was PLA, but the platen wasn't perfectly clean when we started. There was some residue from previous prints on it. It's been sitting idle for over a month as library visitaiton's been pretty low lately. We basically just dusted off the deck, loaded the file, and hit the go button.

View attachment 573689
Check out Tinkercad for a super easy and very fast learning curve CAD tool. I've graduated to FreeCad which is a lot more powerful, but has a much steeper learning curve.

Check out Tinkercad for a super easy and very fast learning curve CAD tool. I've graduated to FreeCad which is a lot more powerful, but has a much steeper learning curve.
I tried it a little while ago. I don't know what it is with CAD programs. I took technical drawing in college, can read blueprints and run a Bridgeport and a manual lathe... CAD programs make me want to throw the computer out a window. I can picture in my head a rotating 3D model of what I want... can't make it appear on the screen.

Looks like the first layer lifted a bit but doesn't seem to be a problem. If it was PLA that's pretty surprising, but maybe they are using PETG or something? (I doubt it was ABS). PLA doesn't usually warp like that unless it is was too hot.

3d printing can be addictive.
Public printer - probably dirty build surface from everyone touching it but no one cleaning it.

Public printer - probably dirty build surface from everyone touching it but no one cleaning it.
Looks like you have a Lee APP. For the price, I've been thinking about getting one for the swaging kit...seems to be a lot more useful than buying something single like the Dillon swager. (I did a search and saw some of your posts on the new parts being printed to reduce the flinging of cases across the room and the bullet sizing being the best part, but nothing on the swager).

Do you have the swager for the APP? Overall, what is your opinion on the APP after a year or so?

Looks like you have a Lee APP. For the price, I've been thinking about getting one for the swaging kit...seems to be a lot more useful than buying something single like the Dillon swager. (I did a search and saw some of your posts on the new parts being printed to reduce the flinging of cases across the room and the bullet sizing being the best part, but nothing on the swager).

Do you have the swager for the APP? Overall, what is your opinion on the APP after a year or so?
I don't have the swager (it is on the list of things to get)

300 BLK Test Loads

135 Gr. Hornady FTX
17.0 Gr. Lil Gun
Col. 2.120
SRPM

So far average 2060 FPS out of my 16" Ruger Ranch Rifle and16" barreled AR15 but a little less out of my 10-3/4" AR Pistol All cycled well. No signs of overpressure.

I will get out and shoot for accuracy out to 100 yds. and 200 yds. maybe this Saturday and make adjustments.

Attachments

• 300 BLK 135GR FTX.jpg
    300 BLK 135GR FTX.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 1
That company amazes me at how they have kept their prices so decent.
That has now ended. They (Zero/Roze) finally increased their prices today. Not horrible by any means. 158 gr JSPs went up $16 per 1k.
But amazing they’ve went this long without an increase. I think I started buying their 158 gr JSP/JHPs in 2013ish and they were the same price then 😂

That has now ended. They (Zero/Roze) finally increased their prices today. Not horrible by any means. 158 gr JSPs went up $16 per 1k.
But amazing they’ve went this long without an increase. I think I started buying their 158 gr JSP/JHPs in 2013ish and they were the same price then 😂
$125/k, for jacketed soft points, still a bargain.

$125/k, for jacketed soft points, still a bargain.
Yup! Agreed. They could charge probably $200 per 1k and people would still buy em. I’m not sure of a cheaper source.

In fact I know another reloading vendor who was selling Zero 158 grainers for $216 per 1k shipped. Looks like he sold out of them surprisingly. He still has 110 and 125 gr JHPs for 20 cents each. He claims they’re not Zeros but I can tell from the photos that they are.

The 44 cal 240 gr JSPs went up $20 but they’ve been out of stock for well over a year. $157 per 1k is also a bargain.

Last edited:
Yup! Agreed. They could charge probably $200 per 1k and people would still buy em. I’m not sure of a cheaper source.

The 44 cal 240 gr JSPs went up $20 but they’ve been out of stock for well over a year. $157 per 1k is also a bargain.
Do you run those in a Dan Wesson, or a S&W? Or something else? I kind of want a S&W 69-8. No good reason, just want one.

I actually loaded up 50 rounds of 9mm last night for the P228. Reloading bench has been full of engine bits for two months. Finally got it cleared off and put the 550 back. Hornady 124g FMJ, CCI500, 5.5g Power Pistol, 1.145" OAL, Blazer brass.

Back
Top Bottom