• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

It may seem trivial, but let's say you drop your charge down to 3.5gr from 4.0gr for the next 500 rounds. You will use 1750 grains of powder (3.5gr x 500). At 4.0gr, you will get 437 rounds loaded with the same 1750 grains.
You get 63 free rounds with a 3.5gr. charge.
This savings may not be a consideration, if the lesser load doesn't work for you, but it just goes to show how you can economize, if desired..
Thx for the info ..... I am new to reloading , just been doing it for maybe 9 months now. I will test out those twelve rounds I made this morning , and then I'll dial it down a bit for twelve more rounds and compare the two tests. I'm definitely into getting more rounds out of the jug of powder ( who wouldn't?).

Thx for the info ..... I am new to reloading , just been doing it for maybe 9 months now. I will test out those twelve rounds I made this morning , and then I'll dial it down a bit for twelve more rounds and compare the two tests. I'm definitely into getting more rounds out of the jug of powder ( who wouldn't?).
Well, wait until you start reloading some rifle calibers with reduced loads, you'll really start saving. Of course, reduced loads may not fill your specific need, but for plinking paper, they work just fine, in my opinion.
Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Built a magazine per SAAMI. This allows me to take ammo & powder out of two safes which then allows me to move my C&R stuff out of the main safe and “locate it in a better position”.

View attachment 450438
You have good taste in equipment blue reloading and red power tools😎

I've not completed the project yet, the top shelf needs to be built out, press installed, the aforementioned small part/tool storage added on the bench, cabinet enclosed, and the LED lights permanently installed, but here it is. The bike will be taken down and the bracket lifted when it comes time to run the press. Overall, not a bad plan for the space available.
View attachment 450312
Nice bike too 👍

Loaded 150 beautiful 45 Colt with a 220 grain RNFP loaded over a nice dose of Red Dot.
I picked up some brass from a friend of a friend maybe 6 months ago.
They were all ready for powder and bullet but at the time I was considering resizing them and tossing the primers not knowing their history. Then I thought about what conditions it takes to really kill a primer and figured I might as well keep the primers, pull the decapping rod and process them. (again not knowing their prep history)

Boy am I glad I chose to keep them with this primer drought going on.
I have another 30 or so from that primed batch to load but I'll do that another night.

The bullet (MP 454-200HP mould) doesn't have a crimp groove so I just seated them a touch past the bearing surface and tried to roll crimp to follow the ogive.

Now I need a 45 Colt rifle to go with my Vaquero

3A5A5081-DB76-4425-BC0C-6C4B1E68D323.jpeg

Loaded 150 beautiful 45 Colt with a 220 grain RNFP loaded over a nice dose of Red Dot.
I picked up some brass from a friend of a friend maybe 6 months ago.
They were all ready for powder and bullet but at the time I was considering resizing them and tossing the primers not knowing their history. Then I thought about what conditions it takes to really kill a primer and figured I might as well keep the primers, pull the decapping rod and process them. (again not knowing their prep history)

Boy am I glad I chose to keep them with this primer drought going on.
I have another 30 or so from that primed batch to load but I'll do that another night.

The bullet (MP 454-200HP mould) doesn't have a crimp groove so I just seated them a touch past the bearing surface and tried to roll crimp to follow the ogive.

View attachment 450514
Are you sealing the primer/primer pockets? Or is that just leftover sealant on the brass?

I see people using media tumblers and the steel pins. Anyone clean their brass with a sonic cleaner? Waste of time or what? This would only be for small rifle batches. Currently, I use a tumbler for everything.

I killed my Hornady sonic cleaner... tried using a homemade vinegar mix.. left it in there and it ate thru the pan. [rofl] oh well.. probably gonna pick up a vibrating tumbler..

I built a 40" x 24" bench based on Wegman's post. It's just a frame and work surface, storage for small parts and tools to be added later. Materials came out to about $125 without pegboard.
nice.. I'm sitting on $200 in HD gift cards.. thinking about this.. did you see the "bench kit" that they have. Saves about $10-15 bucks off buying the individual pieces. but you have to order it ship to store

nice.. I'm sitting on $200 in HD gift cards.. thinking about this.. did you see the "bench kit" that they have. Saves about $10-15 bucks off buying the individual pieces. but you have to order it ship to store
That's the kit that I used for my bench, two of them, actually. I don't know about HD's stock, but Lowe's (Hudson) had them in-store when I bought my materials.

I cut a few of the brackets with a hacksaw to turn them into "T's" so I could create the space to put my legs if I wanted to use a chair.

Making bullets to reload all the magfulls I shot this weekend at GSSF.
Using my new 100 round chamber checker, (replaced my 7 round chamber checker).

See anything funny in that third picture?

How'd I do that? A couple of times a case didn't drop, and I manually fed one in, looks like I missed the seating cycle on that round.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    668.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    502.8 KB · Views: 34
Making bullets to reload all the magfulls I shot this weekend at GSSF.
Using my new 100 round chamber checker, (replaced my 7 round chamber checker).

See anything funny in that third picture?

How'd I do that? A couple of times a case didn't drop, and I manually fed one in, looks like I missed the seating cycle on that round.
Is it just me or is that crimp a little aggressive?
It looks like you’re crushing the bullet.

I love my 45 Colt rifles. I'm pretty sure if I could only keep one gun, it would be my Navy Arms 1892 (Miroku) in 45 Colt. Of course, as Jeff Quinn once remarked, "It's crazy even to think about something like that." Ironically, though, while I've used the "cowboy pair" argument in every caliber lever gun I own, it turns out that I rarely bring them both to the range on the same day. Still, if I actually were a cowboy carrying a limited number of rounds out and about instead of just target shooting at the range with as many cartridges as I want to take, it would make a lot of sense.

The "other reloading room", well, actually my wife's kitchen.

It rained the entire day Saturday. All of my gear got pretty damp, including my guns and magazines.
20 minutes in the oven at "warm", took care of the mags - and my wife turned the oven on for me!
View attachment 450758
How did tou get all those mags wet?
are they not all plastic and stainless?
I would figure if they where going to rust they would do so in the warm oven especially where any water pools up a bit

I do, bring both my same caliber rifle and pistolssssss to the range I have matching sets in 9mm and .45Acp. Can't shoot them both at the same range but it keeps me centered on reloading one caliber , and then taking that pair to the range. Then if I'm fortunate enough to find supplies I load the other large primers for the next trip .

Is it just me or is that crimp a little aggressive?
It looks like you’re crushing the bullet.

It is aggressive. I haven't had any issues with it - that I'm aware of.

So, two questions -
What's does having too much crimp do to the round - in terms of its performance?
and
How would I know that it's too aggressive? Pull a bullet - and if it's deformed, it's too aggressive?

I've loaded lots of 9mm, but I basically know just enough to do the task - I'm open for learning.

Thanks.

How did tou get all those mags wet?
are they not all plastic and stainless?
I would figure if they where going to rust they would do so in the warm oven especially where any water pools up a bit

I shot GSSF Saturday, it rained the entire day, pretty heavily at times. The mags got wet sitting on the barrel at the shooting position. I shot seven different divisions/firearms, four of which I used variants of G17/G34. I have enough mags to shoot the entire match in those divisions without reloading, so I brought them, (pre-loaded).

My gear was soaked; my individual gun pouches all went into the dryer for a while on low heat.

I put the mags in the oven with the witness holes up so that the water could vaporize out, (hopefully), and I left them in the oven until they were dry - no more water came out when I shook a couple of them. Then I let them cool to room temperature inside before I took them back to the colder garage so that they wouldn't get condensation in them.

I stripped all of the guns, cleaned them, blew them out with compressed air, oiled, re-assembled and wiped down with silicone cloth. Had a rust spot forming on one sight where I'd marred it.

Now I'm making ammo to reload the mags for the next match.

Like that chamber checker, I think my tax return is headed toward one in .45acp.

I've been using a 7 hole EGW checker, I finally splurged because dropping 100 rounds into one and dumping it into the box is so much simpler than 7+3, 9 in the box and 1 beside it to keep track...

It is aggressive. I haven't had any issues with it - that I'm aware of.

So, two questions -
What's does having too much crimp do to the round - in terms of its performance?
and
How would I know that it's too aggressive? Pull a bullet - and if it's deformed, it's too aggressive?

I've loaded lots of 9mm, but I basically know just enough to do the task - I'm open for learning.

Thanks.
Too much crimp can add to increased pressures I’d assume. I was always told to crimp just enough be able to pass the plunk test or a case guage. I use a specific barrel I know is the tightest.

correct pull a bullet and post pic.

Back
Top Bottom