What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Love that you are responding, b/c I'm Craig also.

after trying to pound of out last night, I looked up a video on YouTube.
Detailed a gearpull method that will probably take me 10/15 min . Drill out the primer, tap, use a socket as a bushing, and a washer.... A bolt and a nut .... Voila!... Tomorrow's job.

Last edited:
For those looking at Dillon’s lead times:

I went to setup .45 last night for the first time and realized that I forgot casefeed plates for 45 & 308 with my initial order. I placed the order, both sizes backordered, and it shipped out today.

So it is likely that Dillon’s website does not show live inventory for a lot of items bc I don’t think they produced two plates for me overnight. This is the second order of backorders that has shipped quickly.

The Lee is better because when you get a case stuck, you just remove the gland nut and hit the pin with a hammer and the case comes out. It take me less than 60sec to remove any stuck case.

In about 50,000 prepped cases on my current die I've broken 3 decapping pins and all were because I was being retarded and hit berdan bases. So that's not the dies fault its because I don't sort brass for training ammo.

Just did a quick 100 to top off another can of ammo. Took me 13min to load the 100rds (powder and seat). Took me 5min to put all 100 on strippers.

Can is 50cal surplus and has 1200rds. Every can gets a spoon for loading mags in case you ever needed to just grab a can and run.
20210212_205538.jpg

Can is marked on outside with silver metallic and black sharpie on all 4 sides and top. This let's you read the can label quickly in any lighting condition no matter how/where it is stacked. I found this is particularly helpful when doing training classes or night shoots.

20210212_210759.jpg

Here's example of viewing angle where one is hard to read and the other is obvious. This is a very simple thing that seems extraneous that just makes life easier when you tend to lug multiple cans to ranges or events. In bright sunlight the black is great. In low light the silver really pops.

20210212_211157.jpg

Stuck cases in dies are from 2 things
Not enough lube or dirty brass.
lee dies are easier to deal with for stuck cases but its not hard to Drill and tap and use the puller.
Eventually you learn to make sure your cases are lubed or you learn to feel the resistance and stop when it does not feel right.
If your running a automated press , well you should make sure your brass is lubed. I used the RCBS lube die for a while . It works but its a pita to fill:
I have a new lube to try I will post my results

Some freedom capsules that didn't make the cut. The two on right cracked when seating. You can feel it happen and sometimes hear a tiny click. The one on left I didn't notice until I was inspecting before putting it in the can.

Having the rounds on strippers makes a quick final check easy.

20210212_220610.jpg

I see people using media tumblers and the steel pins. Anyone clean their brass with a sonic cleaner? Waste of time or what? This would only be for small rifle batches. Currently, I use a tumbler for everything.
Sonic works well but slow
Doesn't beat up your brass at all

I wet tumble now but the sonic cleaner is still busy cleaning parts and jewelry (makes the wife happy 😁😁😁😁)

@pastera you just gave me an idea that indexes off the base of the cartridge via a cotter pin like the one on the dillon dies at the top. you set up your 3D jig to the depth you want trimmed at. you place the cotter pin in the extractor groove and it auto cuts till the cotter pin hits the top of the 3D printed trim guide. you hold it via the rubber coated cotter pin so it will not spin. and press with another finger into the trimmer

View attachment 448707
Made up a clamp to hold the case by the rim.
Just need some measurements from the bushings and I can have a beta test printed out for you to test.

Post pictures tomorrow

Dear God people. Buy Lee dies and stop the stuck case madness. Lol. There's a reason I have a bin full of .223 and .308 dies collecting dust and stuck cases are precisely why.
Let me know via PM what you have for old dies to sell or trade.

Just did a quick 100 to top off another can of ammo. Took me 13min to load the 100rds (powder and seat). Took me 5min to put all 100 on strippers.

Can is 50cal surplus and has 1200rds. Every can gets a spoon for loading mags in case you ever needed to just grab a can and run.
View attachment 449564

Can is marked on outside with silver metallic and black sharpie on all 4 sides and top. This let's you read the can label quickly in any lighting condition no matter how/where it is stacked. I found this is particularly helpful when doing training classes or night shoots.

View attachment 449567

Here's example of viewing angle where one is hard to read and the other is obvious. This is a very simple thing that seems extraneous that just makes life easier when you tend to lug multiple cans to ranges or events. In bright sunlight the black is great. In low light the silver really pops.

View attachment 449573

I mark mine much the same., makes it easy to pick out 3 layers deep.👍
Some freedom capsules that didn't make the cut. The two on right cracked when seating. You can feel it happen and sometimes hear a tiny click. The one on left I didn't notice until I was inspecting before putting it in the can.

View attachment 449591
Send my your address.....I'll send you some better brass !! Really.

I've not had a split .223 case in forever. I'll send you some brass.

View attachment 449591
How many firings on that brass?

Back
Top Bottom