• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

It is aggressive. I haven't had any issues with it - that I'm aware of.

So, two questions -
What's does having too much crimp do to the round - in terms of its performance?
and
How would I know that it's too aggressive? Pull a bullet - and if it's deformed, it's too aggressive?

I've loaded lots of 9mm, but I basically know just enough to do the task - I'm open for learning.

Thanks.

Your expander die should open the case mouth just enough for a bullet to sit atop the case without the sides being shaved off when seated. The crimp is simply to return the case to a straight wall, so the case mouth is back in line. A lot of people skip the crimp step altogether with rifle but that is another discussion.

Excess crimp will reduce the longevity of the brass, increase pressure, and deform the bullet. FWIW

Shot my first reloads today and still have all my fingers.

Loaded up 10 .243 at minimum charge, 10 half way, and 10 maximum.

Shot half a box of factory ammo first to zero in.

The specs on the minimum charge loads should have brought them close to factory and it turns out that they shot the exact POI as the factory loads at 200 yards. The max charge loads were all over the place. Mid was pretty good.

Sub-MOA at 200 yards with my handloads from the 1978 Lee Loader made me never want to buy factory again.

I circled the load data in my notebook.

40gr Hybrid 100V, 100gr Hornady interlock bullet, 2.61 COL. No crimp

Pretty slow for a .243, but I think it'll expand well at 2,870fps if I were to use it for deer.

I love my 45 Colt rifles. I'm pretty sure if I could only keep one gun, it would be my Navy Arms 1892 (Miroku) in 45 Colt. Of course, as Jeff Quinn once remarked, "It's crazy even to think about something like that." Ironically, though, while I've used the "cowboy pair" argument in every caliber lever gun I own, it turns out that I rarely bring them both to the range on the same day. Still, if I actually were a cowboy carrying a limited number of rounds out and about instead of just target shooting at the range with as many cartridges as I want to take, it would make a lot of sense.
I agree but it’s my 1873 in 357 or possible my 1894 in 357. It would be an 1873 in Colt but I haven’t ordered one yet 😂

So, two questions -
What's does having too much crimp do to the round - in terms of its performance?
and
How would I know that it's too aggressive? Pull a bullet - and if it's deformed, it's too aggressive?

I've loaded lots of 9mm, but I basically know just enough to do the task - I'm open for learning.

Thanks.
One issue is brass longevity.

Another issue is on some bullets you can crimp far enough to undersize the bullet and cause tumbling/inaccuracy and with lead Bullets you cause leading.

The big issue which you don’t want comes from headspace. The 9mm head spaces on the case mouth. If you crimp that mouth in too deep now you’re not head spacing properly. The cartridge is being held in place by the extractor or worse.
An issue exactly like this was happening with new production Winchester 350 legend ammo. The crimp was as aggressive or more than yours.
The cartridge seated too deep jamming the mouth into the headspace shoulder of the chamber. This acted like a crimping die shoulder and when the trigger was pulled there was an increase in pressure due to the jam. That along with the cartridge seating too far into the chamber caused the pressure to blow the bottom 1/3 of the brass out of the gun leaving the front 2/3 in the gun and the primer jammed somewhere in the gun.

So as stated above just enough crimp chamber check and that’s it.
If your Bullets are .355” and your brass mouth thickness is .011” then your finished cartridge should measure .377”

just enough to chamber.

So, two questions -
and

Thanks.
First download the saami specs
SAAMI SPECS

Turn to page 27 for 9mm -
Chamber min diameter at case mouth is 0.381"​
Case mouth diameter max 0.380"​

It's hard to measure right at the case mouth so crimping to 0.379-0.380 is usually fine.
If you go too far the case mouth can drop into the lead and then pressure skyrockets (gun go boom)

Another issue is on some bullets you can crimp far enough to undersize the bullet and cause tumbling/inaccuracy and with lead Bullets you cause leading.

The big issue which you don’t want comes from headspace. The 9mm head spaces on the case mouth. If you crimp that mouth in too deep now you’re not head spacing properly. The cartridge is being held in place by the extractor or worse.
An issue exactly like this was happening with new production Winchester 350 legend ammo. The crimp was as aggressive or more than yours.
The cartridge seated too deep jamming the mouth into the headspace shoulder of the chamber. This acted like a crimping die shoulder and when the trigger was pulled there was an increase in pressure due to the jam. That along with the cartridge seating too far into the chamber caused the pressure to blow the bottom 1/3 of the brass out of the gun leaving the front 2/3 in the gun and the primer jammed somewhere in the gun.

If your Bullets are .355” and your brass mouth thickness is .011” then your finished cartridge should measure .377”

just enough to chamber.

To that extensive response I would merely add that aggressive taper crimping reduces neck tension. While an aggressive taper crimp does seem to make it harder to pull bullets with a kinetic puller, the added retention only goes in one direction. Shorter bullets for caliber may be more susceptible to setback.

Look in that case see if you blew a new flash hole. From the pick it looks like the right side shears off but the right side looks like it was pushed towards the case mouth. Could it have not been seated in shellholder correct causing it to go into due sideways. D5C45E5E-9280-4C2A-9DE1-BEE9EF00D8B4.jpeg

I agree but it’s my 1873 in 357 or possible my 1894 in 357. It would be an 1873 in Colt but I haven’t ordered one yet 😂

just enough to chamber.

Thank you.

I measured half a dozen of the rounds I just loaded, finished cartridge measured at the crimp measured .375; I adjusted the crimping die and now measures .377.

Two years ago at MA State IDPA, my rounds were chrono'd at 1106 and 1121 fps, (124 grn plated bullet).
This past year at GA State IDPA, same load chrono'd at 1137 and 1075 fps.
I don't have the numbers from the recent FL State IDPA; I made power factor. I *THINK* Adam said 1066 and 1069 - but I'm not positive.

So, I don't think I have pressure issues. Certainly not seeing any primer flowing on the rounds I pick up from my practice sessions. I don't examine each one, but I do look at some of them...

Thank you.

I measured half a dozen of the rounds I just loaded, finished cartridge measured at the crimp measured .375; I adjusted the crimping die and now measures .377.

Two years ago at MA State IDPA, my rounds were chrono'd at 1106 and 1121 fps, (124 grn plated bullet).
This past year at GA State IDPA, same load chrono'd at 1137 and 1075 fps.
I don't have the numbers from the recent FL State IDPA; I made power factor. I *THINK* Adam said 1066 and 1069 - but I'm not positive.

So, I don't think I have pressure issues. Certainly not seeing any primer flowing on the rounds I pick up from my practice sessions. I don't examine each one, but I do look at some of them...
It’s one of those things that’s not an issue till it’s an issue.
You might get a new gun with a looser or tighter chamber or maybe the extractor breaks on your current pistol and one of those suckers seats way deep in the chamber.
It doesn’t happen often and might never happen with your ammo but it’s worth correcting.

i have no issues with my Dillon carbide either I’ve got Redding dies for rifle stuff and the case I stuck few weeks ago I was asking for it.. I tried sizing the same case 3 times setting my shoulder bump. 🙄

I've had the 308 redding dies sitting on the shelf untouched for quite a while. It's what was available.

Have a Lee neck sizer coming.

Mandrel portion needs to be cut out of the case, but pretty sure it's trash.

I shot GSSF Saturday, it rained the entire day, pretty heavily at times. The mags got wet sitting on the barrel at the shooting position. I shot seven different divisions/firearms, four of which I used variants of G17/G34. I have enough mags to shoot the entire match in those divisions without reloading, so I brought them, (pre-loaded).

My gear was soaked; my individual gun pouches all went into the dryer for a while on low heat.

I put the mags in the oven with the witness holes up so that the water could vaporize out, (hopefully), and I left them in the oven until they were dry - no more water came out when I shook a couple of them. Then I let them cool to room temperature inside before I took them back to the colder garage so that they wouldn't get condensation in them.

I stripped all of the guns, cleaned them, blew them out with compressed air, oiled, re-assembled and wiped down with silicone cloth. Had a rust spot forming on one sight where I'd marred it.

Now I'm making ammo to reload the mags for the next match.
Nice, i have had my mags soaked over the years, i have just cleaned them and a good dose of wd40 right away.
I think If I had 25 to do I,might consider the oven.

That's interesting. They must come from the factory at the full max case length because I'm sure those were all once fired from my Inland.
I bought some PPu factory new 30 carbine brass, shit was all over the place.
The factory new Aquilla 30_car feom cmp after shootin g it Brass case length was all over the place.? 30 carbine is juzt a pita

Back
Top Bottom