What did you do in the reloading room recently?

case prepped a k of lake city 5.56 from start to finish on a single stage press / super swage / giraud tri-way trimmer

I still crank out everything on my single stage....well except now I have a lee pro 1000 I cranked out 1800 or so 223 cheap plinking loads. I recently converted it to 30 carbine and plan to load the bulk bullets I have. After that it's back to the single stage

I keep wanting to get a dillon but then its like, I could just get $1k of supplies instead and make stuff on this rock chucker.

I bit the bullet and got the 650. I tend to think the way you do most of the time. ( This costs $X, that represents $X worth of whatever. Would I rather have this or that?) I came into some extra cash at the time that helped me take the plunge. The biggest plus for me now is the ratio of time spent loading vs time spent shooting is a lot better than when I was doing everything on the single stage. I enjoy reloading, but sometimes I just like to bang out 1K rounds in a couple of sessions and go shooting.

case prepped a k of lake city 5.56 from start to finish on a single stage press / super swage / giraud tri-way trimmer

This is what I need to do. Ugh. I bought 1k lake city brass and started sizing them but I'm not even close to being done. I was using a Lyman pocket reamer tool chucked into my cordless drill which worked well but after reading reviews about the Dillon super swager, I just ordered one of those. Also have a tri way trimmer ordered which won't be here for another week or two.

Ole lady surprised me with another bullet feeder! Just got it mounted and adjusted. Going to take it apart now and spray some Dillon blue on the mounting pole.
93A4FABB-5D89-4E70-8FE9-399F2D84AEC7_zpsw1zhcbbm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Once you get the KV762N primers, that GP11 brass works just fine!

Albanian 54R uses these primers, too:

I've got a crap ton of GP11 brass that I've been saving. There's a guy on the CMP forums that said he'd buy it, but that was over a month ago. Anyway, that's cool you have those primers and can use the GP11 brass, seems like top quality brass.

Yesterday I finally made up my homemade case lube. 2oz of lanolin oil to 16 oz of 99% IPA. Seems to work well, I don't find it any easier than when I used one shot but at least it's cheaper and will last forever. I had a few cases give me some resistance when coming out of the sizing die. I think those cases didn't get much lube inside the necks.

Finally cleaned and organized my bench. was a huge mess from moving my fathers old stuff here etc. Had enough time to setup my first press, a Hornady LNL classic which was fun for me. Grabbed some RCBS .45ACP carbide 3 die set for $25 on black friday as well. Ripped through 100 rounds like nothing. Much easier than the LEE loader I was using for .44MAG LOL. Ended up loading them with some Remington 230gr projectiles and 6.4gr of Hodgdon CFE pistol. Should be right around 875fps.

Looking up other data for this powder it looks like it likes lighter projectiles mainly. They did have some data for .44 MAG I want to try for the 180gr XTP
MIN:
12.6gr 1,466fps

27,400 PSI

MAX:

34,300 PSI

Finally got to the range to try these reloads. The .45ACP fired very well, no issues, forgot I was even using reloads it was so smooth. My only complaint is the gun seemed very dirty. Like noted I think it would burn cleaner with a lighter projectile. I did load up a dozen of the .44 MAG 180XTPs with 13.5gr of CFE pistol, those seemed to shoot very well. Not too snappy and they were pretty much dead nuts on. I really liked them but the XTPs get expensive lol. Tried some 300gr XTPs as well with 18.5gr of H110, not much flash and I was able to hit the xring at 50ft pretty easily. Aside from that I played with some more of the 180s with 31gr of H110, Im sure the person in the lane next to me hated me!

Finally got to the range to try these reloads. The .45ACP fired very well, no issues, forgot I was even using reloads it was so smooth. My only complaint is the gun seemed very dirty. Like noted I think it would burn cleaner with a lighter projectile. I did load up a dozen of the .44 MAG 180XTPs with 13.5gr of CFE pistol, those seemed to shoot very well. Not too snappy and they were pretty much dead nuts on. I really liked them but the XTPs get expensive lol. Tried some 300gr XTPs as well with 18.5gr of H110, not much flash and I was able to hit the xring at 50ft pretty easily. Aside from that I played with some more of the 180s with 31gr of H110, Im sure the person in the lane next to me hated me!

Lee makes a 310 gr LRNFPGC bullet mold, as do others. I'm sure somebody out there sells them, so grab a few and try them.

For full magnum loads, you'll want to use 296, H110, Lil'Gun and so forth.

In addition to the GP11 and Albanian 54R brass, many of the berdan-primed 7.62 NATO, 6.5x50mm and 55mm, 7.65 Argentine, .303 British and 8mm use the .217" diameter primers. Even though Murom sells the KV-24N for 7.62x39mm, I've interchanged both with okay results. The primer cup depth is shorter on the 24 primer, IIRC. Some delayed ignition with the 24 in other calibers if not seated correctly, but since it's often not in stock, I'd just stick with the KV762N primers.
Many 54R and .303 British use the 6.47mm, but after looking at some 8x56R and some 8x50R, these appear to be .217" diameter primed, too. If I can find someone to shoot these off, I'll look into it more closely.

Today made for a good day to take some useless (to me) 7.62x51 dummy rounds and turn them into live 7.5 Swiss rounds.

Last edited:
-
Try loading 10 each of 24.5, 24.8 and 25.1. Then shoot slow fire groups.

Just loaded 10 each of those loads all with federal brass that was at 1.746"-1.750" even after sizing. Hopefully sneak out sometime this week to try em out.

Question for those chugging the blue kool aid:

Do you use the stock powder measure for precision reloads or is there a better alternative?

I personally use LE Wilson hand dies and an arbor press for precision stuff (Belding and Mull or Culver type measure), but my father used a stock Dillon powder measure and press for reloading match ammo and it worked for him, at least for score shooting.

Recently bought a Lyman Gen 5 scale/dispenser, we'll see if it's good enough for benchrest ammo. I plan on using it for the 338 Lapua and 264 Win Mag ammo anyways.

Haven't had the time to shoot (anyone want to babysit 3 2yr olds while i go to the range?) So i haven't had the need to reload...

Set up my Dillon 650 and cranked out 1,000 Hornady HAP 9mm rounds.

My ammo/component storage cabinet is small, crowded and insufficient, so i'm going to upgrade my storage...

Just got the patient on the table:

ForumRunner_20151228_003317.jpg

I used angle aluminum and 1x12s to make shelves for another stack-on cabinet. So i'll do the same for this one. I know there are better ways to do it to make the shelves more easily adjustable, but meh.... this way works for me....

Haven't had the time to shoot (anyone want to babysit 3 2yr olds while i go to the range?) So i haven't had the need to reload...

Set up my Dillon 650 and cranked out 1,000 Hornady HAP 9mm rounds.

My ammo/component storage cabinet is small, crowded and insufficient, so i'm going to upgrade my storage...

Just got the patient on the table:

View attachment 154545

I used angle aluminum and 1x12s to make shelves for another stack-on cabinet. So i'll do the same for this one. I know there are better ways to do it to make the shelves more easily adjustable, but meh.... this way works for me....

I've gotta do the same thing, for the same reason. I bought some low-profile shelf standards, intending to rivet them in.
Just another "round toit project."

Just curious, how many of you reloaders have more than one tumbler? I was thinking about buying a second tumbler to keep up with the piling brass or to have a dedicated one just for tumbling off lube from my rifle brass.

Just curious, how many of you reloaders have more than one tumbler? I was thinking about buying a second tumbler to keep up with the piling brass or to have a dedicated one just for tumbling off lube from my rifle brass.

One of the benefits of a rotary tumbler: The drums just drop on the machine. I've got one drum for walnut shell and a second for stainless pin media.

I have 2. One is a dry media and one is a wet media. My dry media one collects dust as the wet tumbler does a substantially better job.

I've gotta do the same thing, for the same reason. I bought some low-profile shelf standards, intending to rivet them in.
Just another "round toit project."

Yeh i needed to rivet a bottom shelf for those damned short ARs and AKs.... and rather than the short cheap plastic top shelf they give you, i riveted in supports for a 1x12 top shelf

For this one i thought of bolting or riveting adjustable shelf rails like you would put on a wall and using shelf brackets, but i think that would take up a lot of interior space...

So i'll use the 3/4 angle aluminum (2 10" pieces left and right, 18" across the back) to hold the shelves... i could bolt them in place, then if i needed adjustment i could drill new holes and move the bolts....

But, the thing is 55" if i go 12" from the bottom (enough room for 4lb powder kegs) and then 10" thereafter, with 3/4" wood shelves, i should be able to get 12" and then 4 10" shelves... plenty of storage for what i have now...
I was thinking of putting my scale, dies and dillon quick change setups in there too for now, so i'll leave the top shelf out, 20 3/4" is plenty for a tool head with powder drop attached...

Not stuff that needs to be locked up, but it'll keep the stuff off the bench reducing clutter....

And if i need to stop mid-reloading session (damned kids) i can leave the powder temporarily in the drop and lock it up.... (damned MA laws)

Yeh i needed to rivet a bottom shelf for those damned short ARs and AKs.... and rather than the short cheap plastic top shelf they give you, i riveted in supports for a 1x12 top shelf

For this one i thought of bolting or riveting adjustable shelf rails like you would put on a wall and using shelf brackets, but i think that would take up a lot of interior space...

So i'll use the 3/4 angle aluminum (2 10" pieces left and right, 18" across the back) to hold the shelves... i could bolt them in place, then if i needed adjustment i could drill new holes and move the bolts....

But, the thing is 55" if i go 12" from the bottom (enough room for 4lb powder kegs) and then 10" thereafter, with 3/4" wood shelves, i should be able to get 12" and then 4 10" shelves... plenty of storage for what i have now...
I was thinking of putting my scale, dies and dillon quick change setups in there too for now, so i'll leave the top shelf out, 20 3/4" is plenty for a tool head with powder drop attached...

Not stuff that needs to be locked up, but it'll keep the stuff off the bench reducing clutter....

And if i need to stop mid-reloading session (damned kids) i can leave the powder temporarily in the drop and lock it up.... (damned MA laws)

These things are about 1/4" thick and available at Lowes.
I already had a BUNCH of the clips, for some reason, so I bought four of the standards.

21999-01-1000.jpg

I have two tumblers. One is the smaller dillon and the other is a frankford. They are both the proper size to dump their entire contents into the hamster wheel media separator thing.

I have 4 tumblers. One rotary (wet) tumbler and three vibratory bowl tumblers in three different sizes so I can do small, medium, and large batches.

As far as storage goes, whenever I need more room for ammo or components, I go to Craigs List and pick up a file cabinet for short money.

Yeah these are powder coated. My friend told me about them and they are SO much cleaner and easier to load than cast lead. No smoke and I get good accuracy shooting at 20 yards with my GP100. I hated gumming up my dies with lube from cast lead. All done with that, I'll pay extra for coated or plated bullets.

But I noticed with this batch I got, there are a few bullets here and there that aren't shaped perfectly. I'm sure casters like mac1911 would know the causes for this. I would assume they're safe to shoot with those small pieces missing/voids whatever they are??
View attachment 153917

Got my coated 147 gr 9mm bullets in the mail today. He also included 13 of the 158 gr SWC 38 bullets. Really nice of him as I didn't request replacements for those previous bad molded bullets. Awesome service.
View attachment 154607View attachment 154608

Back
Top Bottom