What did you do in the reloading room recently?

You dont save money, silly grasshopper.

if you where spending $2k a year on ammo your still going to spend $2k a year reloading.
BUT, your going to shoot alot more volume, get to fine tune ammo to your rifle and load what you want when you want it.

reloading is only good if you have the free time and
Cant afford to shoot factory ammo as much as you would like to.

my friend gets almost endless over time plus bonus for working sundays. Plus he picks up holiday shifts. It does not take him much to save up $5k for his ammo needs. So he does not reload.
Any over time or weekend work would cut deeply into the little range time I get anyway so i reload.

You dont save money, silly grasshopper.

if you where spending $2k a year on ammo your still going to spend $2k a year reloading.
BUT, your going to shoot alot more volume, get to fine tune ammo to your rifle and load what you want when you want it.

reloading is only good if you have the free time and
Cant afford to shoot factory ammo as much as you would like to.

my friend gets almost endless over time plus bonus for working sundays. Plus he picks up holiday shifts. It does not take him much to save up $5k for his ammo needs. So he does not reload.
Any over time or weekend work would cut deeply into the little range time I get anyway so i reload.

I also have plenty of overtime I could work but look at it a different way. Yes, I could be at work and just buy factory ammo, or I could be home relaxing, spending time reloading, doing things I want to do. I find smelting/casting/reloading relaxing and satisfying. I spent too much money on reloading equipment mostly because I like projects but I'm at the point where I can make more bullets in an hour then I'd be able to buy if I was working. Now I can reload for an hour, make the bullets I need, and go shoot even more. Can't do that at work!

Depends on personal habits, what calibers youre loading for and how basic your set up is I think. Casting your own bullets, loading expensive or uncommon calibers and avoiding the urge to pick up every litle gadget available would make it work I would think.

Guy who's getting a box a day from Midway while loading 9mm and shooting twice as much just has another expensive hobby. Another guy who has some basic equipment and is casting and loading 45-70 while shooting roughly the same is making out like a bandit.

I could probably just buy what I shoot which is not enough cause I work to much. But I enjoy reloading and tinkering. I always have one too many irons in the fire. That's why you can never see any of the three benches in my cellar. One reloading which tends to catch spill over from main bench. Right now there is a stihl ts 400 cut off saw stripped down with the crank out waiting for parts the other has my wifes great grandmother's living room table stripped waiting for refinish. Then turns the reloading bench to tinkering bench

Just loaded some 311284 that I made for the .30/40 Krag into .30/06 to shoot out of the 03 sniper rifle. I used SR4759, AA5744, 2400 and IMR4227. I haven't loaded light cast bullet loads since my son was a little boy and wanted to shoot a big boy rifle. That was about 30 years ago and I forgot how much fun they are.

Not IN the reloading room but for the reloading.
I cashed in a bunch of scrap metal ,prices where low but I had everything out and sorted and going that way.
Cashed in for almost 60% less than same time last year. Still got $120 then off to lgs to spend it
View attachment 355623
Damn nice. I'm low on 2400 need more. It's a great powder for my jsp 38 and 357 loads but it does use more powder than bullseye. 9 grains for a 38 lol oad vs 3.5 grains for bullseye so I go through it faster. I am liking the 2400 because I can use the same powder for 38 and 357 with jacketed bullets.

Loaded up some plinker 38 special. 200 rounds of 158 grain cast over 3.5 bullseye seated to 1.44 oal. I have a big jug of 38 special already cleaned sized and primed so it didn't take long to flair charge and seat 200 of em. Always like having a good backstock of cheap cast plinking stuff.

1500+ rounds of my 44 mag loads were apparently too much for my Dan Wesson scope base screws [laugh]

1500+ rounds of my 44 mag loads were apparently too much for my Dan Wesson scope base screws [laugh]
Well that sucks

Anyone got any small rifle primers they can spare? Someone during an even swap of my 308 ammo for their 6.5 creedmoor gave me like 60 empty brass cases... and now i contemplate reloading for 6.5 creedmoor but need a 1k case of SRP...Michael ..bless you and hate the tempation you laid at my feet..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom