What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just loaded some 311284 that I made for the .30/40 Krag into .30/06 to shoot out of the 03 sniper rifle. I used SR4759, AA5744, 2400 and IMR4227. I haven't loaded light cast bullet loads since my son was a little boy and wanted to shoot a big boy rifle. That was about 30 years ago and I forgot how much fun they are.

Yes, agreed! It's satisfying to hear them ring the steel, as they take their time getting downrange.

Doubtful as to whether you can hear them hit wood...

Attachments

• Range 3jul16b.jpg
    Range 3jul16b.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2
I'm curious why anyone would pull HSTs or in turn want to buy them?

Many think this bullet is the cat's meow when it comes to defensive rounds.
These are not available as a component except via firms that demilitarize over-contract or whatever ammo.
Pulls may have slight pull marks, but the bullets are perfectly fine otherwise.

Yes, agreed! It's satisfying to hear them ring the steel, as they take their time getting downrange.

Doubtful as to whether you can hear them hit wood...
I can hear my cast loads hit the paper at 200 yards AFTER the muzzle report.
I have not shot at wood in many years so I dont know how load a cast load would report smacking into a old log or tree stump

Many think this bullet is the cat's meow when it comes to defensive rounds.
These are not available as a component except via firms that demilitarize over-contract or whatever ammo.
Pulls may have slight pull marks, but the bullets are perfectly fine otherwise.

Even if it was the bee's knees, it seems silly to me to pick something that has been possibly deformed twice (load/pull) as a critical self defense item when there are so many others available. You're just introducing another external variable into something your intentionally want to be as controlled and high quality an item as possible.

Are people buying these bullets and then loading them into mixed brass too? Just seems a bit silly to me thats all.

Here's a video of some rounds expanded if people are hunting around for options:

View: https://youtu.be/3R9UcRJ3Lsk

I loaded up some .380's today. I did double charge one, but since I look at each case as it goes through the press I caught it. I took the case off the press to check the charge, then put it back in. The problem was I didn't rotate it after. I usually don't put the powder back after I weigh it, but I did today. Max load was 3.5g I put in 6.6g would have been a nice compressed load.

I think I'm actually more scared about squib loading something than double charging it.

I kaboomed an AR once (not a double charge). It was exciting [laugh]

A squib won't do anything. You might push a bullet into the barrel, but another round won't chamber. You should also notice difference in the sound and recoil. A revolver could be trouble, but again, You should also notice difference in the sound and recoil.

A double charge blows shit up.

A squib won't do anything. You might push a bullet into the barrel, but another round won't chamber. You should also notice difference in the sound and recoil. A revolver could be trouble, but again, You should also notice difference in the sound and recoil.

Unless you're training with rapid fire drills and the next round does chamber, which it absolutely can in some guns/calibers. You have a squib in a 10k round rifle barrel and the next round is absolutely going to close bolt.

Squib in a revolver really motivates you to not do it again - [banghead]

I placed a couple orders between midway and Brownells for the mec marksman some Redding 300wsm dies I also purchased the km hand primer to try out. Ordered an OAL gauge from Hornady as well as the Sinclair comparator and bump gauge. Everything was in stock when placed this weekend now Brownells emailed me press is back ordered and now in stock at midway for 20 more WTF. After tons of reading I talked myself into the marksman press.

You might want to rethink those statements. A double charge or an over charge is not the only thing that will kaboom a rifle or pistol.

If an under powered round doesn't clear the bore, the next round will chamber and fire....into an obstructed bore.

In a worn barrel with throat errosion a primer could easily send a bullet far enough forward that the next round will chamber behind it.....even if the next live round's bullet is driven back into the casing.

I've seen people on the range who had no clue what a squib was and ready to fire another round into an obstructed bore.
They shit a brick when I rodded their rifle and the rod only went half way down the barrel. I've driven a half dozen bullets from other shooter's pistol barrels on the range.

Inexperienced shooters are sometimes too caught up in the moment to recognize a squib.....it happens frequently.

A squib will definitely blow up a gun.

As far as semi autos vs revolver .......all this tap rack shoot shit the 3 gun and idpa folks train will definitely blow up a gun.

You might want to rethink those statements. A double charge or an over charge is not the only thing that will kaboom a rifle or pistol.

If an under powered round doesn't clear the bore, the next round will chamber and fire....into an obstructed bore.

In a worn barrel with throat errosion a primer could easily send a bullet far enough forward that the next round will chamber behind it.....even if the next live round's bullet is driven back into the casing.

I've seen people on the range who had no clue what a squib was and ready to fire another round into an obstructed bore.
They shit a brick when I rodded their rifle and the rod only went half way down the barrel. I've driven a half dozen bullets from other shooter's pistol barrels on the range.

Inexperienced shooters are sometimes too caught up in the moment to recognize a squib.....it happens frequently.
"Experienced" shooters will have as much or more of a chance of a squib kaboom when they are competing. When your so fixed on that timer and you get a misfire it's very tempting to tap rack shoot because you really want to beat that clock.

Went to the club last night with my son and his Henry 357 carbine. Tested out some new loads.

The original 158 grain jsp with 12.7 2400

Upped the powder charge to 158 grain jsp with 14 grains 2400

Tested the new 125 grain jsp with 16 grains 2400.

Have to say the groups didn't change much at all with the different charges or bullet weights. Not too sure I'd want to up the charge on the 125 grain with 16 grains 2400. No signs of over pressure but damn the flame from that carbine was pretty crazy......and loud!!!! Not a chance I'd test that in my snub revolver I already blew out a forcing cone with 125s and slow powder.

So o have to think about this. My son wanted me to experiment with 125 grainers for his carbine to get the velocity up so he get get better accuracy at 100 yards......but 16 grains 2400 seemed to belch alot of flame. I know that's not necessarily a sign of bad things but a Henry carbine should not be belching fire........it just ain't right 😂

Maybe I'll back the charge down a little. Bottom line is I definitely need a Chrono to see what I'm actually getting.

The goal on the Henry and reloads is more velocity so less bullet drop at 100 yards......but not belching fire from the muzzle (I know I'm a fuss ass). I'm open to suggestions.

I also brought a box of 45acp 200 grain lswc and 4.7 bullseye. Can only shoot outside right now so had to test them at 25 yards (not feet.....yards) I got a fist sized group from my 1911! Cycles perfectly....a bit smokey but not nearly as bad as cast bullets. I can't wait to test these indoors at 50 feet which is what they are made for. I'll take the 1911 apart tonight and check the barrel for lead. The samples I got showed no leading but that was just 20 rounds so I'll re check it after shooting 50 yesterday.

Last edited:
Went to the club last night with my son and his Henry 357 carbine. Tested out some new loads.

The original 158 grain jsp with 12.7 2400

Upped the powder charge to 158 grain jsp with 14 grains 2400

Tested the new 125 grain jsp with 16 grains 2400.

Have to say the groups didn't change much at all with the different charges or bullet weights. Not too sure I'd want to up the charge on the 125 grain with 16 grains 2400. No signs of over pressure but damn the flame from that carbine was pretty crazy......and loud!!!! Not a chance I'd test that in my snub revolver I already blew out a forcing cone with 125s and slow powder.

So o have to think about this. My son wanted me to experiment with 125 grainers for his carbine to get the velocity up so he get get better accuracy at 100 yards......but 16 grains 2400 seemed to belch alot of flame. I know that's not necessarily a sign of bad things but a Henry carbine should not be belching fire........it just ain't right 😂

Maybe I'll back the charge down a little. Bottom line is I definitely need a Chrono to see what I'm actually getting.

The goal on the Henry and reloads is more velocity so less bullet drop at 100 yards......but not belching fire from the muzzle (I know I'm a fuss ass). I'm open to suggestions.

I also brought a box of 45acp 200 grain lswc and 4.7 bullseye. Can only shoot outside right now so had to test them at 25 yards (not feet.....yards) I got a fist sized group from my 1911! Cycles perfectly....a bit smokey but not nearly as bad as cast bullets. I can't wait to test these indoors at 50 feet which is what they are made for. I'll take the 1911 apart tonight and check the barrel for lead. The samples I got showed no leading but that was just 20 rounds so I'll re check it after shooting 50 yesterday.
you might have to just deal with more drop.
Accuracy does not always need velocity.
find what groups best.

you might have to just deal with more drop.
Accuracy does not always need velocity.
find what groups best.
Understood. But of the groups are not falling apart when I up the charge for more velocity......that's not a bad thing to have less bullet drop no?

It was just strange to see so much fire from the muzzle. Never thought I'd see that from a 357 mag rifle.

Back
Top Bottom