• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've had brass shipped to me and they seem to always be broken open and missing stuff.
I always wrap up the brass in one of those flat rate tyvek usps envelopes. I of wrap every seam and fold/corner with the fiber reinforced tape when I ship stuff that could get ugly.

I've received quite a few 50+ lbs shipments of ingots - double boxed with no movement.
No issues at all.

My last shipment of powder was close to thirty pounds - box looked like it was handled with kid gloves, not mark on it.
But it had several very large EXPLOSIVE stickers on it :D So that might have had a measurable effect.

Need to pick up 2500 rounds of CCI quiet-22 from the ups store * - only 18 lbs so I'll see how that goes.

* Picking up is a better option than explaining the contents of numerous packages now that swmbo is also working from home.

I'm using the Lee die. If I get a stuck case I hammer it out using a lead hammer to minimize damage to the top of pin. I place the brass rim in a vice. Then I use a 1/2" wood chisel to slice the case down from the mouth to about 3/4 down the length. The chisel goes thru it like butter. Small screw driver to pry the shell open and its off. Takes me well under a minute.

I used a Dremel for cutting. I didn’t time start to finish, but it was only a few minutes. Most of the time was in trying to find the Dremel kit box.

Last edited:
Since my press is off getting an overhaul I figured it was time to finish up my "Safe Space". Basically, some trim work, paint and finish the bowling alley counter top...and after that a good tidy up. Attached is a photo after 4 coats of last and last spar varnish in satin. Its wet in the photo so it will be less shiny when dry....but I'm liking the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_154314.jpg
    IMG_20200505_154314.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 6
Finally got a chance to load up some bullets from the delivery of zero brand.

10 each for testing 357 mag with the 125 grain jsp and 16 grains 2400 loaded to 1.59 oal. I know a said I'd never use 125 grain projos again but these are for my son's Henry rifle. We want to push the velocity up a bit and the rifle seemed to like 125 grain projos we bought factory. Lyman states 13 to 17.7 grains of 2400 so I went "high middle" power and we'll check for pressure signs and accuracy before I go higher.

Loaded up 50 each of the 200 grain swaged lswc 45acp. The samples I loaded up from the vendor were the most accurate projo I've put through my 1911.....4.7 grains bullseye loaded to 1.235 oal put 5 rounds in the same hole at 25 feet.....not ragged hole.....same hole. And put them all in the black at 50 feet. From a rest of course.

The swaged lswc from zero are VERY consistently formed and nice sharp shoulder on the swc. There is a lube groove that has a small amount of yellow lube.....and the whole bullet feels "sticky". First time I've ever felt the need to wear rubber gloves was handling these projos but for the accuracy I'm getting it's worth it and for 10 cents a round for jsp and nicely formed swaged lswc it's a hell of a nice purchase.

All in all a nice hour long reprise to my basement. 20200505_182353.jpg 20200505_182407.jpg 20200505_182443.jpg 20200505_182621.jpg 20200505_184041.jpg

Since my press is off getting an overhaul I figured it was time to finish up my "Safe Space". Basically, some trim work, paint and finish the bowling alley counter top...and after that a good tidy up. Attached is a photo after 4 coats of last and last spar varnish in satin. Its wet in the photo so it will be less shiny when dry....but I'm liking the results.
Wow, that is Beautiful!

Very nice. Bowling alley? I would hate to drill holes in that beauty or even get it dirty.

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind.

It does look nice though.

Resized, primed and trimmed 250 .308 brass, picked up another 1000 LR primers, 4 lg cans of One Shot and a pound of 4064 to load some hunting ammo.......from my local gunshop's back porch. [laugh]

He said he's reopening next week but cutting his hours to four days, Wed-Sat. I have to give the guy credit, he keeps a lot of things in stock for a small place and his prices are more than reasonable.

Oh, and I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator from him too.....very clean, looks and works like new.......$40.00. His mom passed away last December and he's selling her house so he's liquidating the appliances.

When the stick powder that won't flow through the powder drop is also a biotch to pour from the weighing pan into a case mouth.....you improvise, adapt and overcome. The smallest funnel from the Harbor Freight funnel set, a tubing cutter and a crappy piece of .308 brass with the mouth flared out using a tapered punch tapped into the case mouth.
100% effective and zero spillage.....for pennies.
image.jpeg

Possibly a light at the end of the tunnel. (Im stocked up pretty good so I havent been in the market for components lately, but the ammo market has been crazy so Im assuming components have been too. Anyway..) One of the component retailers posted on their FB that they are almost back to same day shipping as they are currently shipping orders from Apr 5 and 6. Dont want to name names

now if you could only find federal HST in components...
Im sure you could. Nickel plated cases are not hard to find. Im not sure what bullet they use but there is several Hp to choose from and then finding a powder that gets to the veloxity you need.
Im not so sure whats special about the primers?

Back
Top Bottom