What did you do in the reloading room recently?

TTSX are no joke. They hit hard and I've yet to find a hunting round as accurate and devastating in .308.

View: https://youtu.be/nV8ij1gK-ck

99% energy transfer in 24" of ballistic gell with 100% weight retention.

Worth every penny they charge for them.

Pretty interesting, I picked up some TSX dirt cheap somewhere last year and never loaded them. I might have to make the effort now. Picked up some old 200gr trophy bonded projectiles as well that I guess are sought after.

Prototype 1 - what I had on the shelf

If there is interest, next prototype will be with home Depot parts and no lathe needed
Will need some 3d printed parts but getting parts printed is pretty easy (most people have or know someone with a printer)

Yes, my workbench is a shit storm -

Prototype 1 - what I had on the shelf

If there is interest, next prototype will be with home Depot parts and no lathe needed
Will need some 3d printed parts but getting parts printed is pretty easy (most people have or know someone with a printer)

Yes, my workbench is a shit storm -

i love it...but it's about as far from practical as possible. just spend the $40 and get the dillon trays and stop wasting electricity, lol.

i love it...but it's about as far from practical as possible. just spend the $40 and get the dillon trays and stop wasting electricity, lol.
Spend money? Yeah right - why would I spend hard earned money when I can use several thousand dollars worth of tools to make a $40 part.
Some people take the fun out of life...

It's not about the results - I like building stuff like this and giving out the knowledge. Plenty of information gained here to pay back (or forward).

Spend money? Yeah right - why would I spend hard earned money when I can use several thousand dollars worth of tools to make a $40 part.
Some people take the fun out of life...

It's not about the results - I like building stuff like this and giving out the knowledge. Plenty of information gained here to pay back (or forward).
Glad to see your bench is a shit storm, I dont onow what I would do with that much bench space. Other than you I dont know anyone with a 3D printer. I wish I had one. I have seen several ideas that I could use on my lee pro1000 and of course front sights!

Glad to see your bench is a shit storm, I dont onow what I would do with that much bench space. Other than you I dont know anyone with a 3D printer. I wish I had one. I have seen several ideas that I could use on my lee pro1000 and of course front sights!
Which reminds me - I couldn't find a drawing for a garand front sight except one paid version.
Do you know a source?

This is what I love about casting. You just made a cost prohibitive cartridge into a cheap plinker that cost less than 38 special factory ammo.

relatively low pressure round also, so the brass lasts forever. 2.260" OAL, Winchester Large Pistol Magnum primer, 26.0gr IMR 4198, Starline brass should stay subsonic. Data was from Lyman AR reloading manual. Was actually Hornady 500gr SP round, but googled the projectile length and these are similar. based on eyeballing powder charge level (and the shake test), these projectiles sit right at the powder charge so no wasted space.

relatively low pressure round also, so the brass lasts forever. 2.260" OAL, Winchester Large Pistol Magnum primer, 26.0gr IMR 4198, Starline brass should stay subsonic. Data was from Lyman AR reloading manual. Was actually Hornady 500gr SP round, but googled the projectile length and these are similar. based on eyeballing powder charge level (and the shake test), these projectiles sit right at the powder charge so no wasted space.
That’s awesome.
I shoot a TON of 45/70 which falls into the same category. If it’s wasn’t for casting I wouldn’t be able to.

Is that a while like a week or more like 9 days?
Well if I don't shoot the DW every weekend it will last until next year. I usually shoot 100 rounds when I take the DW so maybe I'll cut down to 50 rounds. I'd guesstimate that I have at least 1,500 rounds reloaded possible more. Which isn't a lot compared to my 9mm stockpile but those rounds take up a lot of space [laugh]

Well if I don't shoot the DW every weekend it will last until next year. I usually shoot 100 rounds when I take the DW so maybe I'll cut down to 50 rounds. I'd guesstimate that I have at least 1,500 rounds reloaded possible more. Which isn't a lot compared to my 9mm stockpile but those rounds take up a lot of space [laugh]
That’s a hefty batch of 44 magnum. I never seem to catch up on 44 mag. Couple hundred at a time and then I blast it.

That’s a hefty batch of 44 magnum. I never seem to catch up on 44 mag. Couple hundred at a time and then I blast it.
Since I’m bored I weighed my containers of 44 mag. Rough estimate based on weight appears to be 2100 rounds. Dang.

I have actually run out of containers and had to put the last 400 rounds in a heavy duty zip loc bag [laugh]

Like a bag of gold!! Not horrible for 20 cents per round.
2A634530-492A-42C4-9489-AD68A188F168.jpeg B586CD55-A58E-4866-BE3B-F282DF00AFD2.jpeg

I've been loading .223 over the past couple of weeks and switching to .45 acp and .38 spl for variety. I went online to order some more small rifle primers and there are none to be had with the vendors I'm aware will ship. I have enough to keep me busy for a while. If I run out, I will just have to load more 9mm for the PCC, .357 for the Henry, more Garand.

Back to loading 9mm. I am very well stocked at this point but might as well take advantage of the time. I hear that there is even a shortage of 22lr. I have a lot of it, probably two or so years worth, but man I wish I bought more. Literally weeks before this all happened I was talking to my wife telling her that we probably should take advantage of the low prices and purchase another 10,000 rounds. Shoulda coulda woulda. Lesson learned.

I've been loading .223 over the past couple of weeks and switching to .45 acp and .38 spl for variety. I went online to order some more small rifle primers and there are none to be had with the vendors I'm aware will ship. I have enough to keep me busy for a while. If I run out, I will just have to load more 9mm for the PCC, .357 for the Henry, more Garand.

I am in the same boat, i have plenty of ammo loaded so no concern on being short on certain primers (not all), but i dont like looking at empty shelves, even if there's a truckload of ammo sitting around.

Back to loading 9mm. I am very well stocked at this point but might as well take advantage of the time. I hear that there is even a shortage of 22lr. I have a lot of it, probably two or so years worth, but man I wish I bought more. Literally weeks before this all happened I was talking to my wife telling her that we probably should take advantage of the low prices and purchase another 10,000 rounds. Shoulda coulda woulda. Lesson learned.

same (only i bought "too much" 22), see above. was about due for a hefty primer purchase to keep the stock healthy. will have to wait and since everyone went full retard i assume when things come back in stock, not many people will have any jingle leftover to buy a lot

I went online to order some more small rifle primers and there are none to be had with the vendors I'm aware will ship. I have enough to keep me busy for a while. If I run out, I will just have to load more 9mm for the PCC, .357 for the Henry, more Garand.
I am in the same boat, i have plenty of ammo loaded so no concern on being short on certain primers (not all), but i dont like looking at empty shelves, even if there's a truckload of ammo sitting around.

same (only i bought "too much" 22), see above. was about due for a hefty primer purchase to keep the stock healthy. will have to wait and since everyone went full retard i assume when things come back in stock, not many people will have any jingle leftover to buy a lot
I'd recommend taking a drive up to Shooters Outpost. They had plenty of primers when I was there a few weeks ago. Call ahead and see what they have before you drive up.

I'd recommend taking a drive up to Shooters Outpost. They had plenty of primers when I was there a few weeks ago. Call ahead and see what they have before you drive up.

They had posted a facebook video of the ammo section when the sh!t starting hitting the fan, and i commented to do the same with the reloading section, to no avail. some of us dont care about ammo on the shelves, but it would be a 3+ hour drive for me so im not doing it on a whim. might be hard making past al's in Derry depending on stock

They had posted a facebook video of the ammo section when the sh!t starting hitting the fan, and i commented to do the same with the reloading section, to no avail. some of us dont care about ammo on the shelves, but it would be a 3+ hour drive for me so im not doing it on a whim. might be hard making past al's in Derry depending on stock
Gotcha. SO is about 2 hours round trip for me but it was worth the drive for me to get those Fiocchi primers. Not to mention I have so much time on my hands it was nice to get out of the house lol. They did have plenty of CCI, Win, and Fiocchi SR primers when I was there. CCI was $32 per 1k if I recall.

No idea if these are still available or worth the drive for you

No idea if these are still available or worth the drive for you

south shore is a haul too (15mins to VT, 15mins to NY). I've done the NH loop, but the nice thing was the last time i did it, i had no less than 5 potential stops planned depending on the Hooksett area score. but it is almost motorcycle season again :)

south shore is a haul too (15mins to VT, 15mins to NY). I've done the NH loop, but the nice thing was the last time i did it, i had no less than 5 potential stops planned depending on the Hooksett area score. but it is almost motorcycle season again :)
Damn. You must be out by North Adams or something [laugh] Yeah you're far from most shops in this state

Back
Top Bottom