What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Only 200[rolleyes] I kid, what's are you running for a load.
My garands do well with almost any quality bullet. Although they don't need to be pushed to fast.
I can run as low as 38 grains of H4895 and get 100% function.
My groups are more consistent and just under 2moa in the 44-46 grain range of the popular M1 powders.

I basically loaded up some initial loads just to get some trigger time with the Garand. Never owned one before. I loaded up 46 gr of 4064 and some 150gr FMJBT bulk bullets. My fav 30 cal bullet is the 155 Nosler custom comp. I have about 1500 of those, curious to see if I can find a 155 load that the Garand likes.

I basically loaded up some initial loads just to get some trigger time with the Garand. Never owned one before. I loaded up 46 gr of 4064 and some 150gr FMJBT bulk bullets. My fav 30 cal bullet is the 155 Nosler custom comp. I have about 1500 of those, curious to see if I can find a 155 load that the Garand likes.

Currently my goto bullet for my rifle (155 custom comps) shooting cmp matches in.
Shot from my M1 I rebuilt , criterion barrel and wenig stock off the rifle rest I can shoot average 8 Shot groups to 1.5-1.75" pulled off a few 1.2ish groups. Plenty good enough for cmp. My other service grades from cmp all shoot much better with nosler or hornady match bullets.

They also like hornady and nosler 168s.

Last edited:
Had 2 650's running today. Prepped some precision .308 on the rockchucker. Wet tumbled,Formed some LC 5.56 into 300 blackout,trimmed and swaged.

Made 400 .45's & 700 9mm.

Also added some stock ,6000 230g 45 berrys & 4 lb of W231...It was a good day.

Currently my goto bullet for my rifle (155 custom comps) shooting cmp matches in.
Shot from my M1 I rebuilt , criterion barrel and wenig stock off the rifle rest I can shoot average 8 Shot groups to 1.5-1.75" pulled off a few 1.2ish groups. Plenty good enough for cmp. My other service grades from cmp all shoot much better with nosler or hornady match bullets.

They also like hornady and nosler 168s.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a CMP "special grade" Garand so I will have the new Criterion barrel as well. I want to try Garand matches at my gun club next year. What powder do you like best with the 155 CC's ?

Thanks for the info. I ordered a CMP "special grade" Garand so I will have the new Criterion barrel as well. I want to try Garand matches at my gun club next year. What powder do you like best with the 155 CC's ?

I use IMR-4064 with 168 gr BTHP bullets. I've tried H4895 and Varget but seemed to get the best results with 4064. I believe Mac uses Varget but he'll comment to confirm.

I found no real measurable difference between Varget, H4895 , 4064, N150, IMR 4895
Bullet selection has been the biggest improvement.
Dont waste your time with the M2 bullets or pulled bullets. For what they cost now just buy HXP.
Hornady 150 gn FMJ bulk are ok but again for not much more (i recently bought some Hornady 168gn match for .03 more than the bulk 150s) you can get nosler,hornady match or even the Nosler factory 2nds. These are fine and so far hold my best scores with the Blems in both M1 and AR.

My best shooting service grade from the CMP took some work to get shooting well.
For what ever reason it matters not what rifle I use I get a flyer in every clip. 60% on the 1st round? I do not get flyers with reloads.

I would not waste my time doing a lot of load testing.
I loaded in one grain increments from min to max on each powder I had. Almost all but the N150 did best in the lower mid range charge. I only shoot out to 200 yards in JCG as issued matches so velocity to try and buck the wind is not needed.

Remember the CMP JCG as issued match uses the SR1 target at 100 yards for each position thats a a black bull out to the 9 ring 6.35", 10 ring 3.35", X ring 1.35"

you would be better served spending more time working on positions, NPA and sling use VS load development.

Getting everything moved in. Still have a lot of electrical work to do to get more than 1 light in there

WWJOSY.jpg

Nice! Starting to take shape. I've been away from home for work since Sunday so no reloading lately. But I did just order .223 dies, shell plate, and bullets to get started once I finish my first AR build this weekend - hopefully.

A few pics of my dungeon:

IMG_2933_zpszt02mpet.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another pic without the RCBS setup. I only use the RCBS for small runs. I also use it for decapping and resize sometimes. Otherwise it is removed and hung on a peg with my lonely Lee press.

IMG_2934_zps7xhdkqe0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And my lonely Lee, hangin' on a peg...

IMG_2937_zpszurbkq1a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
A few pics of my dungeon:

IMG_2933_zpszt02mpet.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another pic without the RCBS setup. I only use the RCBS for small runs. I also use it for decapping and resize sometimes. Otherwise it is removed and hung on a peg with my lonely Lee press.

IMG_2934_zps7xhdkqe0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And my lonely Lee, hangin' on a peg...

IMG_2937_zpszurbkq1a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ahh nice comfy room....

Ahh nice comfy room....

indeed...what's not in the picture is a 68K BTU pellet stove loafing along about ten feet away. It's 74F in here right now.

This is my half of the garage (my wife has the other half to keep her car in during the winter). Next year I'll be insulating the outside walls and putting up OBS walls and I may even paint them.

Finished product.
IMG_0826fffff_zpsyjp6rb4y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You are a sick sick man. Were you born in New London, CT? you must be my wife's long lost twin.

Very very impressive.

If you gave me that room, in a month, there would be primers all over the floor, boxes stacked everywhere, and an overfilled garbage can in the corner.

You know what that room is lacking? Artwork. Its nice enough. Maybe some framed posters showing people doing what ever kind of shooting you like to do. Ha

Tested some .300 blackout rounds with short and cheap Xtreme flat point bullets, for function in an AR this weekend. It worked.
Don

Those work quite nicely as plinking loads in 7.62x51/54R/63 and in the 7.5 Swiss, too. Likely, they'd work in 7.62x39mm as well, but I no longer have an SKS to try them (they have a .310" diameter version, too).

Several Speer 87gr SPs were sitting around, so I put them into some .25-20 WCF after grinding the soft point off...

Now, to find someone with an 1892 or Marlin 27S...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom