• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

GRRRRRRRRR I hate small primers in .45ACP got 1000 cases ready to reload, started priming and sizing and don't you know there's a mixed up bunch of small primer in with all the large primer cases, Why on Earth do they have to fck with something that already worked just fine since John Browning walked the green earth!!!!

Sized, primed and trimmed three hundred Lake City .308

These will be loaded with 173 gr fmj using WC846.

View attachment 256837 Just returned from Harbor Freight where I picked up 14 plastic ammo cans @ $2.99 each for my reloads.

Tough to beat for $2.99....that's when I typically buy them as well. The last batch I got had slightly different latches that are a little tougher to open/close but still pretty awesome for keeping reloads.

Been loading up various charges of .357 Magnum with Shooter's World Heavy Pistol powder. I do not like this powder. It meters perfectly in the powder drop and doesn't stick to the walls of the hopper or drop. That's the virtue, that and you don't have to load it to full magnum loads (unlike H110). The vice is that this powder never burns completely, regardless of how you load it, at least not that I can see. It leaves behind what look like breadcrumbs, which I assume are clumps of partially-burned powder. Previously, I'd only seen this in factory Herter's .44 Magnum rounds, which possibly are using the same powder (Lovex D037.2). That doesn't seem to cause any great problems save one. When shooting anything loaded with this stuff in any revolver (so far), my left cheek gets hit with some granules of unburned powder almost every shot. Never had any other powder do that so much. One pound down. Only 3 pounds of it to use up. Oh, well.

Been loading up various charges of .357 Magnum with Shooter's World Heavy Pistol powder. I do not like this powder. It meters perfectly in the powder drop and doesn't stick to the walls of the hopper or drop. That's the virtue, that and you don't have to load it to full magnum loads (unlike H110). The vice is that this powder never burns completely, regardless of how you load it, at least not that I can see. It leaves behind what look like breadcrumbs, which I assume are clumps of partially-burned powder. Previously, I'd only seen this in factory Herter's .44 Magnum rounds, which possibly are using the same powder (Lovex D037.2). That doesn't seem to cause any great problems save one. When shooting anything loaded with this stuff in any revolver (so far), my left cheek gets hit with some granules of unburned powder almost every shot. Never had any other powder do that so much. One pound down. Only 3 pounds of it to use up. Oh, well.

Usually this is due to not high enough pressures.
Try to load a little towards the hotter end of the load data to see if it cleans up.
Another big issue is not having a good enough crimp. Increase the crimp some and the powder should burn better.

If you want middle magnum loads use unique or something faster like that.

Working up a 45 load (200gr SWC - ~5.7gr WIN231 - 1.25 COL) for my Glock 21. It just doesn't seem to like SWC's...too many FTF's to rely on if shooting a match. Order placed for some 200GR RNFP's...that should get 'er done.

Might be like Blue Dot, where you have to run near max load to get it to burn all the way.
I miss SR4756 for .357.

I think I’ve loaded it every which way at this point, and it actually seemed to do worse as it got hotter. But I’ve got a lot of it, so I’ll keep trying until it’s used up. I think I’ll make some test loads just for this purpose, with different crimp levels and charges. I think it will only take 1 round per load because one can just look in the fired cases to see whether it made crumbs or not. Maybe a really heavy crimp will help.

The max charge is a bit of a mystery. In 158gr .357M jacketed, the Shooters World reloading guide gives 12.2gr, the canister says 13.1gr, and the Lovex guide goes even higher to 13.4gr (but with a stated pressure of 43500 psi). The Lovex recommended load is 10.8gr, which was super wimpy and also dirty for me. As I recall, even 12.2 felt wimpy for a magnum and showed no significant pressure signs. 13.1gr felt normal and showed flattened primers more like a stout factory load in the same gun, so I think the canister has the more reasonable value.

Perhaps hot enough for this powder is super hot in .357M. In that case I’d still be unhappy with it, even if there is a way to load it.. I wasn’t looking to replace H110/W296 for max velocity.

I should add that it’s pricks on my cheek with virtually every shot that are annoying me. I don't get that with any of the other powders I'm using. Apart from that it seems to shoot OK at a wide range of power levels.

Last edited:
Working up a 45 load (200gr SWC - ~5.7gr WIN231 - 1.25 COL) for my Glock 21. It just doesn't seem to like SWC's...too many FTF's to rely on if shooting a match. Order placed for some 200GR RNFP's...that should get 'er done.

The Lee 452-230 TC or similar should feed well, if you can find these bullets. Somebody out there must offer cast and coated versions of this bullet.
Of course, the Berry's offerings might be just as good. I like their 185g HBRN, but they have a 200 grainer in the TC (HBFP) style, too. 12¢ to 13¢ range.
.45Steel.jpg

I think I’ve loaded it every which way at this point, and it actually seemed to do worse as it got hotter. But I’ve got a lot of it, so I’ll keep trying until it’s used up. I think I’ll make some test loads just for this purpose, with different crimp levels and charges. I think it will only take 1 round per load because one can just look in the fired cases to see whether it made crumbs or not. Maybe a really heavy crimp will help.

The max charge is a bit of a mystery. In 158gr .357M jacketed, the Shooters World reloading guide gives 12.2gr, the canister says 13.1gr, and the Lovex guide goes even higher to 13.4gr (but with a stated pressure of 43500 psi). The Lovex recommended load is 10.8gr, which was super wimpy and also dirty for me. As I recall, even 12.2 felt wimpy for a magnum and showed no significant pressure signs. 13.1gr felt normal and showed flattened primers more like a stout factory load in the same gun, so I think the canister has the more reasonable value.

Perhaps hot enough for this powder is super hot in .357M. In that case I’d still be unhappy with it, even if there is a way to load it.. I wasn’t looking to replace H110/W296 for max velocity.

I should add that it’s pricks on my cheek with virtually every shot that are annoying me. I don't get that with any of the other powders I'm using. Apart from that it seems to shoot OK at a wide range of power levels.
let me know how the heavy crimp works for you
also have you checked the timing on the revolver? could you be getting lead spitting at you and the powder is unrelated?

Not really a "what you did" but more of a "whats yet to be done"
Tired of loading out in the garage, not a pleasant activity in the winter. I'll leave out there for the dirty work.
So this is the "attic" or storage post-house fire.
Plenty of room to throw in a bench and mount a few presses, store powder and primers. Locker or two.
Heat/A.C.
Couple of l.e.d. light cans.
Might even add a 650.

Attachments

• IMG_2061 (2).jpg
    IMG_2061 (2).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 25
GRRRRRRRRR I hate small primers in .45ACP got 1000 cases ready to reload, started priming and sizing and don't you know there's a mixed up bunch of small primer in with all the large primer cases, Why on Earth do they have to fck with something that already worked just fine since John Browning walked the green earth!!!!
I'm setting up an extra Square Deal for .45. I'm thinking about setting it up for large primers and then using a hand primer for small primer cases, then skipping stage one with the primed cases. Would this create any issues?

I'm setting up an extra Square Deal for .45. I'm thinking about setting it up for large primers and then using a hand primer for small primer cases, then skipping stage one with the primed cases. Would this create any issues?

So long as the cases are sized beforehand. I do the exact same thing.
Just load the case in before the shellplate spins on its way back down

Will do. Timing is fine.

I made the crimps heavy on the rest of the batch I was shooting the other day and loaded up some others with small pistol primers instead of small magnum pistol primers. This powder is not supposed to require a magnum primer, and it doesn't seem to. The heavy crimping did seem to reduce the sizes of the crumbs dramatically...I think. It's not like I measured them before, but while it continued to leave behind something, I would probably have described these as looking like grains of sand, not like crumbs. If they're clumps, they're smaller clumps, I think. There's no apparent connection to powder charge. It's a step in the right direction. Henceforth I will use a heavy crimp with this powder.

.. I don't prime on my turret anymore I use the 1 hole for the sizing the 2 hole for powder ( since the shells are already primed and sized) and the 3 hole for a tube with bullets in it so I don't have to put them on one by one, and the four hole to set and crimp. I prime and size with another turret plate with out the twisting rod in the press. I sometimes prime and size several thousand before I reload with powder and bullets. Not any faster or more productive just the way I like doing it.

Last edited:
I made the crimps heavy on the rest of the batch I was shooting the other day and loaded up some others with small pistol primers instead of small magnum pistol primers. This powder is not supposed to require a magnum primer, and it doesn't seem to. The heavy crimping did seem to reduce the sizes of the crumbs dramatically...I think. It's not like I measured them before, but while it continued to leave behind something, I would probably have described these as looking like grains of sand, not like crumbs. If they're clumps, they're smaller clumps, I think. There's no apparent connection to powder charge. It's a step in the right direction. Henceforth I will use a heavy crimp with this powder.

Step in the right direction for sure.
Grab some Unique next time you’re out. Or 2400.
Runs great and no mess. Unique can be a little sooty at the lower end loads though.

Back
Top Bottom