• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Finally got around to doing an inventory. Surprisingly I had never kept a powder/bullet list. Now for bullets I've got one tracking manufacturer, diameter, grains, cost/per, and how many remaining. For powder I've got powder name, cost per grain and approx. how much remaining.

On the more practical side, I did up ten experimental 7.62x54R using .311 150gr over IMR 4895 and my first ten necksized 30-06 for the M1917, using 150gr BTHP with 44gr Varget. I have 60 cases 303 British awaiting charge and projectile as well.

Finally ramping up my 9mm inventory. Got a 50 cal ammo can full plus a couple hundred more. Need to keep making more!

Shot some 223 75 gr BTHP reloads out of my new FN 16" midlength barrel on Friday. Loaded these with TAC powder. Shot pretty well at 100 yards. I’m sure I pulled that shot on the left. Need to practice....
77F055D1-067F-4BA7-BD77-C1C6E3221FC6.png

I had loaded some 357 magnum with N105 a while back, I finally got to shooting over a chronograph today.
10 rounds at the starting load of 11.7g (158g XTP) were 1599-1602 fps in my Marlin 16" barrel, an amazing 1 fps standard deviation.
Damn. Can’t beat that. I’ve always want to try N105 but I’ve got so much 2400 and H110 kicking around it’s tough to justify buying a new magnum powder.

what bullets and what's the recipe for that 223 Andrew?
Hornady 75 gr BTHPs over 22.7 gr TAC @ 2.26"
Not sure I’m really going to mess around with the charges too much as that’s plenty good for my needs at 100 yards.

This was using my Nikon scope at 9x. I should have tried them with less zoom (like 4x) so I could be more stable etc. Prob would have grouped even better I think.

Bring it on.....
You can eat popcorn at your living room window while FBI and Glostah FD have a jurisdictional Kumite on your front lawn.
preview-jcvd.jpg

What caliber?
You must be one of very, very few to get an Evolution manual. I've heard they were holding off any only selling the auto-drive units until they catch up with demand.
9mm. I ordered it June 4th and it arrived on Nov 5th. I was lucky enough to get the preorder price with dies (which I don't need, but they were part of the deal so I took them) from DAA. I called Mk7 prior to ordering and got all my questions answered and they said that DAA and Shooters had them on sale at a pre-order price. My guess is Mk7 offered a certain number to both vendors at Shot Show to see what kind of interest they would get. Apparently, they got lots of interest and rightfully so as no one has done anything new in the non commercial reloading arena in 20 years and as a results Mk7 is still playing catch up on all the orders. I called Mk7 to check up on my order at one point and talked to the owner Jay for a while. He seems like a real stand up guy and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's a tad overkill for my needs but I was done with all the shortcomings of my 650 and the Mk7 Evo is a rock solid machine. It current home is temporary and I really only getting it set up/dialed in as it will eventually move to our new home in a few months. Thankfully I have enough ammo on hand to get me through!

Finally got around to doing an inventory. Surprisingly I had never kept a powder/bullet list. Now for bullets I've got one tracking manufacturer, diameter, grains, cost/per, and how many remaining. For powder I've got powder name, cost per grain and approx. how much remaining.

On the more practical side, I did up ten experimental 7.62x54R using .311 150gr over IMR 4895 and my first ten necksized 30-06 for the M1917, using 150gr BTHP with 44gr Varget. I have 60 cases 303 British awaiting charge and projectile as well.
I like my method, box feels light. Time to order more.
Should have spent that time dry firing.
I wish I had a little OCD. I know where everything is.
Its all right there in that pile, or that one.....hmmmm

Hornady 75 gr BTHPs over 22.7 gr TAC @ 2.26"
Not sure I’m really going to mess around with the charges too much as that’s plenty good for my needs at 100 yards.

This was using my Nikon scope at 9x. I should have tried them with less zoom (like 4x) so I could be more stable etc. Prob would have grouped even better I think.
Your not more stable with less magX you just dont see the wobble as much.
TAC did not do well by me but those hornady 75s posted some good score for me. Easily get under 2mao out of my "mil spec" A2

If 100 yards and 2mao is good enough buy some of those bulk 55 grainers?

Your not more stable with less magX you just dont see the wobble as much.
TAC did not do well by me but those hornady 75s posted some good score for me. Easily get under 2mao out of my "mil spec" A2

If 100 yards and 2mao is good enough buy some of those bulk 55 grainers?
You're right. I shouldn't have said more stable. I guess I meant that it makes it "easier" to shoot consistently with less magnification. I also have Reloader 15 which I'll try at some point. But 0.5-1" groups at 100 yards is pretty damn good for me. Don't plan to do any shooting beyond 120 yards (max range at my club).

I did try some PPU M193 ammo and that shot about 2 MOA but I think if I remember to bring my rear shooting bag and try 4X instead of 9X, I can probably squeeze out a little more accuracy. I was just shooting with the rifle off a sandbag.

I do have thousands of the Hornady 55 gr FMJs but I shot all of those reloads with my previous barrel. I think I was loading those with 25 gr of H335?

What's not "well" by your standards? And what powder did you use that shot better? Varget?
To date - Varget, H4895, surplus W844 and RL15 have all given me with out much effort MOA ish. Even the hornady 55 FMJ loaded closer to max give some great groups with a occasional flyer to ruin things.
If I’m going to shoot factory ammo I try to find wolf gold. Or PPU match- these don’t cost much vs other factory ammo

To date - Varget, H4895, surplus W844 and RL15 have all given me with out much effort MOA ish. Even the hornady 55 FMJ loaded closer to max give some great groups with a occasional flyer to ruin things.
If I’m going to shoot factory ammo I try to find wolf gold. Or PPU match- these don’t cost much vs other factory ammo
Good to know. Were you using one of those 4 powders with the Hornady 55's? I'm really curious how my new barrel will group with the 55's loaded over H335.

I shot a bunch of Wolf Gold 223 with my old barrel and it shot okay. But a friend of mine turned me on to PPU M193 as it's practically the same price.

Oh yeah, I’m not going to waste decent bullets if the result is 2moa, I just did not get much better than that with TAC.
Wow. Just goes to show how different rifles/barrels prefer different loads. If I got 2 MOA I wouldn't waste those bullets either.

loaded a new ladder test for 308 subsonics.

150gr Horandy RN (30-30 bullets) and Trailboss. Hopefully these group better then my last attempt with 180gr pro hunters.
Nice, gotta love subsonic loads. What are you shooting those through?

Back
Top Bottom