• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Unless you simply enjoy casting, sizing and lubing or coating bullets, Norm's prices hardly make it worth it for me to light the Coleman stove. He doesn't offer every bullet caliber and weight, but I've done okay with several of his offerings. Especially since I haven't ventured into bullet coating and my lubri-sizer is out of commission. The 170g bullet looks like an RCBS mold, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Bullets arrived yesterday. Look good. 100 are green and 100 are black. Can’t wait to try em out.
AD4680E7-754A-4F1C-B11D-115FD5C9B576.png

My basement fluctuates from 55-60ish during the winter. Only heat is from the gigantic water pipes that run to my radiators. The pipes in the basement are 3-4” diameter and give off some heat. I’m sure the oil fired boiler throws some heat too.
That sounds nice. Comfortable temps for working. When I had my original 40+ yo oil burner down there, it gave off some heat so it wasnt as bad as now. On the positive side, in the summer its a pleasure to be down there as its a good 15-20 degrees cooler and much less humid. Think Im kind of the opposite of most reloaders as I do most of my loading in the warmer months. It chills my bones to be down there for too long when its like this, even if Im bundled up.

My first time using it at home . I been reading about it. Most loaders that have posted recommended it for 9 MM, Thought I'd give it a shot. It's what We used when I went to Jim's classes in Littleton.
Oh cool. I think we used Trailboss in 38 spl during Jim’s class a few years ago if I recall.

But yeah PP is good stuff. It has some decent muzzle flash but I like it. I use it for 7.62x25 tokarev and mid range 357 mag loads. I’ve yet to try it in 9mm but I hear it’s very accurate in 9mm. My 7.62x25 loads certainly are.

I might cast some bullets today.
I think I used up all of my 45 Auto Rim loads so I’m going to run some numbers in quickloads and make some hot 240 grain SWC loads.

Maybe see how fast I can push some 200 grain hollow points.

USPS actually delivered a box from midway at 9:30am. It contained a lee case coalator and a can of Hornaday one shot. Also got a box from Dillon yesterday, it contained, among other things, a Dillon 9mm carbide sizing die. Wife was in bed all day w/ a headache, so I headed to the gun room.

Since I have been using a case feeder on my 550, primer pullback had been an issue. The dillon die has a spring loaded decapping pin that fires the primers into the primer chute instead of pulling them back into the primer pocket to be reseated by the new primer. The $12 lee case coalator has holes big enough to load 45acp cases well and 9mm cases mediocre. I made 4 bushings out of 1/2in copper pipe to make the holes smaller. I had one case in 500 go in upside down. Today was the first time that I have tried Hornaday one shot. I have been loading pistol ammo since the early 90's with carbide dies and it has never ever been so effortless. It took a little over an hour to load 500 rounds. Longer if you count the time it took to sort out the crimped cases from the commercial cases and loading up the primer tubes. Now it's time to clean up the driveway.

Shooty

My Black Friday bullet order finally arrived, 3750 147 gr. plated RN .356" and 3000 158 gr. plated RNFP .358". The price was right with 20% off and free shipping, but next time I'll be ordering my favorite blue powder coated instead in a much more timely manner.

Ordered some coated gas checked 170 gr 30 cal bullets from a guy out in NM (thanks to NavelOfficer). Good deal at $11.80 per 100 plus small flat rate box for shipping. The casters are going to cringe I’m sure, since it’s next to nothing for you guys lol.

Going to try them with Trailboss in the 1903A3.
Makes for some fun powder puff loads. I had to really ramp up my elevation to get on target. I have since started using TB with plain base bullets for fun gallery type shooting out to 50 yards

Finally graduated from a single stage to a progressive. I’ve been doing everything (.380, 9x18, 9x19, .38spl, .45acp, .45 Colt and .30 carbine) on my Rock Chucker for several years now. I picked up a used Dillon Square Deal B already set up for .45acp from another forum for a decent deal. The manual with it is dated 2005 and it has definitely seen a lot of use. I broke the whole thing down, learning as I go, cleaned and greased where needed and made 100 rounds this morning. I took it VERY slow and checked the powder charge like every 5th round. Very consistent thrower!
I will probably end up getting a 9mm die set for it too, but I shoot more .45 than anything else.
Single stage makes for great attention to each round but holy crap is this literally 4 times faster!

I took it VERY slow and checked the powder charge like every 5th round. Very consistent thrower!

I understand and encourage your caution with a new press. However, checking the powder charge that often, removing and replacing cases from the shellplate, introduces more chance of screwing something up. Just check your charge at the beginning of your session, mark the adjustment screw so you will know if it is ever bumped or moved. Note: some powders will drop a slightly different charge when the shellplate is full, vs just one case in the powder station. Something like this is handy 1 BLUE Adjusting Knob for Dillon Powder Measures THE ORIGINAL PRESS ON KNOBS | eBay

Finally graduated from a single stage to a progressive. I’ve been doing everything (.380, 9x18, 9x19, .38spl, .45acp, .45 Colt and .30 carbine) on my Rock Chucker for several years now. I picked up a used Dillon Square Deal B already set up for .45acp from another forum for a decent deal. The manual with it is dated 2005 and it has definitely seen a lot of use. I broke the whole thing down, learning as I go, cleaned and greased where needed and made 100 rounds this morning. I took it VERY slow and checked the powder charge like every 5th round. Very consistent thrower!
I will probably end up getting a 9mm die set for it too, but I shoot more .45 than anything else.
Single stage makes for great attention to each round but holy crap is this literally 4 times faster!

I did pretty much the same thing when I got my SDB last month. I checked every 10 though and damn that thing was spot on every time. I was doing 9mm with 5.2grbof CFE and it was perfect every time. It helps all the powders I use are ball powders except Varget and IMR 4350 but those two are done on the single stage only anyways.

Just got word that our offer to purchase our new house was accepted. So now I am designing my new workshop/reloading room. I have a 24x28 utility room that is mine to play with. I have $600 for materials to build the workbench, ammunition storage, supply storage and also have $1500 budgeted for a safe.
I will have to password protect the design plans so the wife doesn't see...... Pics to come later in March.

I'm in the process of designing my reloading room now. It'll be 8' x 10' roughly. I work in a metal shop and we have a lot of scrap, thinking of reinforcing the walls with 1/2" wire, essentially making the room a giant cage.

I'm in the process of designing my reloading room now. It'll be 8' x 10' roughly. I work in a metal shop and we have a lot of scrap, thinking of reinforcing the walls with 1/2" wire, essentially making the room a giant cage.
Having a dedicated, secure room is really convenient. You don't have to put everything away if you are in the middle of a gun related project. My guns never go back in the safe dirty, everything goes back to my gun room first. Things get sorted or cleaned, or whatever there, then things get put where they belong. Not always the same day, or week.

I have a set of 9mm dies for a square deal b that I don’t use anymore as I have a 650. Maybe we can work something out?

Having a dedicated, secure room is really convenient. You don't have to put everything away if you are in the middle of a gun related project. My guns never go back in the safe dirty, everything goes back to my gun room first. Things get sorted or cleaned, or whatever there, then things get put where they belong. Not always the same day, or week.
That's what I want to do. Having to put every little thing away every time sucks. Plus I'm outgrowing my current cabinets so instead of upgrading those I'm investing in the house.. or so I tell the wife.

I got this old Pacific C frame press in a package deal last year. I wasn't sure what to do with it because it works opposite of a modern press, handle goes up, ram goes up, handle goes down, ram goes down. 20180109_181233.jpg
I needed a swager. I got the RCBS swage kit, sandblasted and painted the press and mounted it horizontally. It could not have worked better with the beyond 90° tilt it already had. Sweet!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom