• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Unless you simply enjoy casting, sizing and lubing or coating bullets, Norm's prices hardly make it worth it for me to light the Coleman stove. He doesn't offer every bullet caliber and weight, but I've done okay with several of his offerings. Especially since I haven't ventured into bullet coating and my lubri-sizer is out of commission. The 170g bullet looks like an RCBS mold, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Yup it’s the 170 gr GCSIL bullet. Figured I’d go with the closest weight to my 168 gr BTHP loads - even though they are VERY different of course.

What about the rest of the cartridges you shoot eh?
Where is the neg rep button? I need to start an I hate the new forum layout thread.

My coated 9mm bullets cost me just over 6 cents each shipped (last 3k I bought cost 5 cents each because of a coupon). I’ve got a 3-5 year supply of jacketed 38 cal bullets that ran me just over 8 cents each shipped.

I guess 44 mag would be worthwhile as those jacketed bullets run over 13 cents shipped.

Maybe someday later in life I’ll try it lol.

Loaded up the last 200 Berry's 124gr 9mm I had on the SDB. Man that thing can crank out ammo quickly once you get into a rhythm.. I wanted to swap over to .45ACP next, the primer system change looks pretty simple. Have another 2k Berry's 230gr to load next.

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_123052_01.jpg
    IMG_20171231_123052_01.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 15
Loaded up the last 200 Berry's 124gr 9mm I had on the SDB. Man that thing can crank out ammo quickly once you get into a rhythm.. I wanted to swap over to .45ACP next, the primer system change looks pretty simple. Have another 2k Berry's 230gr to load next.

Quickest way to make that swap is to load small primer 45acp!

Loaded up a small batch of target 38SPL. 148GR DEWC, loaded flush (COL=1.155) with the "classic" 2.7gr of Bullseye which I believe was the goto recipe for 148gr HBWC (which I can't seem to find anywhere).

Anybody else load these ? Do you seat the wadcutter flush or use a different COL if not HBWC ? Do you add a few tenths to the load if not HBWC ?

Happy New Year everyone.

Check a lyman manual or lee manual.
Wadcutters leave very little room in the case and pressures jump fast with depth changes.
There is a picture from an load book with wadcutter seating depths and how it changes pressure. Seating a wadcutter 1/8" below the case mouth with a standard charge yielded like 60K CUP
That being said the max in my old Lyman is over 3 grains of bullseye for a 358495 so I'm sure if you seat flush and crimp over the front of the bullet it will be fine. This is probably the SOP for something without a crimp groove.

Unfortunately, there are a host of solid wadcutters and, somewhat fewer, hollow-base wadcutters on the market. You won't always find load data for every brand of bullet, so you enter that gray area of reloading. Some wadcutters may have a crimp groove that aligns at the case mouth with the bullet above flush, so what to do. If you have fairly similar bullets with load data for at least one of these, you can always measure the bullet lengths and seat the base of the unknown ones to the same depth as the bullet which has published data. If you are uncomfortable with this process, stick to bullets with published data.
As you are aware, the HBWC should not be pushed to higher velocities than listed as you run the risk of leaving the skirt in the barrel as the head of the bullet separates.

Attachments

• .38 Special (1).jpg
    .38 Special (1).jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 17
Finally mounted my Dillon SDB that I bought from a great fellow NESer about 4 months ago. Put it on an In-line Fabrication Ultra Mount because I love the one on my Dillon 550B. Next will be to set it up for 9mm, to be shot in Production class, USPSA.
I shot my G34 for the first time a few days ago, with factory 147 gr loads. My son and I were both surprised at the amount of recoil. About the same as our S&W full size M and P 40’s. Ugh! With reloads I sure hope to tame down the recoil in order to acquire the target faster for the next shot. Please tell me that I can seriously reduce the recoil after testing a bunch of different reloads.

Finally mounted my Dillon SDB that I bought from a great fellow NESer about 4 months ago. Put it on an In-line Fabrication Ultra Mount because I love the one on my Dillon 550B. Next will be to set it up for 9mm, to be shot in Production class, USPSA.
I shot my G34 for the first time a few days ago, with factory 147 gr loads. My son and I were both surprised at the amount of recoil. About the same as our S&W full size M and P 40’s. Ugh! With reloads I sure hope to tame down the recoil in order to acquire the target faster for the next shot. Please tell me that I can seriously reduce they recoil after testing a bunch of different reloads.

The only factory 147g stuff I have tested is Federal. It clocks in at about 138pf, so just a bit more that what is needed for USPSA minor pf. Personally, it wasn't any noticable difference in recoil than my own production load.

Improving your grip on the gun will do more to control recoil than anything you do on the reloading bench.

Last edited:
I shot my G34 for the first time a few days ago, with factory 147 gr loads. My son and I were both surprised at the amount of recoil. About the same as our S&W full size M and P 40’s. Ugh! With reloads I sure hope to tame down the recoil in order to acquire the target faster for the next shot. Please tell me that I can seriously reduce the recoil after testing a bunch of different reloads.

Any pics of the mount? I was looking to get one from Inline with the tray options too but I've been on the fence about it raising the machine too high etc.

SJan, your comment “Improving your grip on the gun will do more to control recoil than anything you do on the reloading bench.” is great advise. Trouble was it was so cold and windy that my wrist, hand and fingers were pretty much numb. Thanks for the tip and I will focus on my grip next time out. I cannot remember having to wear thermal tops and bottoms for this many days in a row. I swear that I will never complain about the summer heat. Well, at least for a few more months.

SJan, your comment “Improving your grip on the gun will do more to control recoil than anything you do on the reloading bench.” is great advise. Trouble was it was so cold and windy that my wrist, hand and fingers were pretty much numb. Thanks for the tip and I will focus on my grip next time out. I cannot remember having to wear thermal tops and bottoms for this many days in a row. I swear that I will never complain about the summer heat. Well, at least for a few more months.
I was hoping that you weren't talking about the last 4 or 5 days. It sucks out!

SJan, your comment “Improving your grip on the gun will do more to control recoil than anything you do on the reloading bench.” is great advise. Trouble was it was so cold and windy that my wrist, hand and fingers were pretty much numb.

Get yourself some "tactical" gloves...makes shooting outside this time of year *almost* tolerable. Of course the rest of you will still be frozen ;-)

My son shoots 147 grain out of a Glock 17. The recoil is lighter than 115 or 124 grain and the gun cycles 100%. The bullet is polymer coated lead and the charge is 3.2 Titegroup.

Laid in a stock of 9MM and .45ACP Berry's RNPL picked up 1000 more primers and grabbed 2 lbs of powder. Settling in for a long cold spell might as well put my free time to good use and load up some of the 8000 cases I stocked up on. Weather isn't co-operating on me getting started casting, way too cold out back or in the garage. Have to wait till it warms up some now.

Laid in a stock of 9MM and .45ACP Berry's RNPL picked up 1000 more primers and grabbed 2 lbs of powder. Settling in for a long cold spell might as well put my free time to good use and load up some of the 8000 cases I stocked up on. Weather isn't co-operating on me getting started casting, way too cold out back or in the garage. Have to wait till it warms up some now.
My casting career has yet to start. Stocked up, just have to clear a space in the basement for a work station. Overal reloading slows down in the winter months for me anyway as my basement get uncomfortably cool. At some point in the past few days it was 37 down there.

I have the room and it's heated downstairs, Not much as far as ventilation unless I open the bulkhead. Not knowing how much the fumes will linger when I flux I think on the side of caution I'll wait till I can go outside . I have the basement zone thermostat at 55 the circulator hardly ever kicks on and it 60+ downstairs . Boiler and the gas fired water heater keep it toasty. On the down side I have to run a dehumidifier all summer 24/7 to keep it from being excessively humid.

Last edited:
I have the room and it's heated downstairs, Not much as far as ventilation unless I open the bulkhead. Not knowing how much the fumes will linger when I flux I think on the side of caution I'll wait till I can go outside . I have the basement zone thermostat at 55 the circulator hardly ever kicks on and it 60+ downstairs . Boiler and the gas fired water heater keep it toasty. On the down side I have to run a dehumidifier all summer 24/7 to keep it from being excessively humid.
Maybe Ill throw up a quick partition wall and bring a small space heater down there. I picked up a cheapo range hood I was going to use over the pot and vent out a window. Should take care of most of the smell I hope. Switched to high efficiency gas a few years ago so furnace gives off no heat really to the basement. I have a duct that I disconnected and plugged when I remodeled that I open up when it gets cold like this to get a little bit of warm air down there, but it doesnt do much good when its this cold for this long. Also Im in the same boat in the summer. Dehumidifier runs pretty much constantly. Old fieldstone foundation that I never got around to parging lets in a lot of air.

Nice! Where’d you go for powder and primers? Just curious as I haven’t bought them locally in awhile.

Thanks Gerry, good info for me.
Headednorth, I am down to 39 in the reloading room in the basement. Guess I am going to have to get the heater going.

My casting career has yet to start. Stocked up, just have to clear a space in the basement for a work station. Overal reloading slows down in the winter months for me anyway as my basement get uncomfortably cool. At some point in the past few days it was 37 down there.

My basement fluctuates from 55-60ish during the winter. Only heat is from the gigantic water pipes that run to my radiators. The pipes in the basement are 3-4” diameter and give off some heat. I’m sure the oil fired boiler throws some heat too.

Back
Top Bottom