• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Gave my tumbler a work out this weekend. Tumbled God knows how many cases in a bunch of different calibers. Tumbled pretty much every dirty case I had. May look into wet tumbling after this. The dust was starting to annoy me and Im conscious of it settling on the surrounding area. Changed the media and added some NuFinish and mineral spirits.

Also boxed up some cases in a few calibers that I dont load to send off to family out of state.

Been decapping, sizing, and priming like a mad man. Then loaded up several hundred 9mm's in preparation for a range trip with my new PCC Marlin next weekend. Prepped to load up a few hundred more 9MM's later tonight . Also had an Apex trigger done to my 9 MM Shield so it's going to be a 2for at the range as I try that out also.

Drank the blue koolaid.. Been tinkering with that last night and today a bit. Waiting for some supplies to come in now from Berrys before I dig in for the long haul.

Setup the new tumbler. Ran around 250 cases of 30-06. 200 cases of .223 and 60 cases of .303 Brit. So far so good.

Setup the new tumbler. Ran around 250 cases of 30-06. 200 cases of .223 and 60 cases of .303 Brit. So far so good.
If I can muster up the energy I'm dragging the Enfield out and see how it does with the HXP I have and it might make a showing at CMP vintage match next season.

Anyone here load Barnes 44 mag 225 gr XPB bullets? I bought some at Cabelas a few weeks ago to use for next year's deer hunt using my Henry 44 rifle. I didn't realize until after buying them that Barnes suggests a barrel twist no slower than 1:20. My Henry is 1:38 so I'm not expecting great accuracy but I only have 20 bullets to play around with (super expensive).

Before anyone questions/criticizes why I'm using such a pricy bullet and that plenty of other cheaper bullets would be fine for deer, I bought them to see what an all copper bullet can do for accuracy/penetration/expansion etc. I like trying different bullets just for something new/different :)

The H110 starting load for the 225 gr XPB bullet (according to Barnes' website) is 19.9 grains. Max being 22.1 grains - which they mention is a compressed load. I started at 20.2 grains and when seated to the cannelure (1.604" COL) there was a lot of resistance ie compressing the powder. It didn't make me feel comfortable knowing that I'm compressing the powder since I have no experience with compressed loads. I'm thinking I should have used 2400 powder as that (according to Barnes) isn't a compressed load.

Also I bought some of their 200 gr XPB bullets online and they just arrived last week. Barnes doesn't have load data using H110 for these but they do for 2400 powder. Hopefully these won't be compressed.

After loading the Barnes, I loaded some Remington 240 gr SJSPs that I got (along with a bunch of 44 mag brass) for a great price on a reloading facebook group. They seem very well made however the cannelure is higher (towards the tip) than the XTP, Sierra, and Montana Gold soft points I have loaded. They're also the same OAL as the XTP and MG bullets so when I seat to the cannelure, I'm at ~1.584" or so. When using the XTPs and MG bullets my OAL is ~1.602".

Instead of using a near max charge of H110 with the Remington bullets (like I do with the other 240 gr bullets) I figured I'd play it safer and use the starting charge of 23 grains instead of 24 grains. Anyone else run into this?

Anyone here load Barnes 44 mag 225 gr XPB bullets? I bought some at Cabelas a few weeks ago to use for next year's deer hunt using my Henry 44 rifle. I didn't realize until after buying them that Barnes suggests a barrel twist no slower than 1:20. My Henry is 1:38 so I'm not expecting great accuracy but I only have 20 bullets to play around with (super expensive).

Before anyone questions/criticizes why I'm using such a pricy bullet and that plenty of other cheaper bullets would be fine for deer, I bought them to see what an all copper bullet can do for accuracy/penetration/expansion etc. I like trying different bullets just for something new/different :)

The H110 starting load for the 225 gr XPB bullet (according to Barnes' website) is 19.9 grains. Max being 22.1 grains - which they mention is a compressed load. I started at 20.2 grains and when seated to the cannelure (1.604" COL) there was a lot of resistance ie compressing the powder. It didn't make me feel comfortable knowing that I'm compressing the powder since I have no experience with compressed loads. I'm thinking I should have used 2400 powder as that (according to Barnes) isn't a compressed load.

Also I bought some of their 200 gr XPB bullets online and they just arrived last week. Barnes doesn't have load data using H110 for these but they do for 2400 powder. Hopefully these won't be compressed.

Be a man and cast your own already! Who needs these fancy pricey bullets when you cast the one bullet to rule them all?
Do you need some 44 Keiths for deer? I can cast some lighter hollow points or the RCBS 250K (260 grains)
The deer won't be able to tell the difference.

Loaded some MP356-130 in 38 Special cases with 4 grains of Bullseye for some plinking with the 1873. I need to load some .308 to try out with my new Supercomp XL brake.

Tested some of the Barnes 44 mag 225 gr copper bullets that I loaded with H110 in my Henry today. Shot water jugs at 15 yards and it went through 4 jugs and landed about 8 feet behind the 4th jug. ZERO weight loss and great expansion.

Now I just need to test the 200 gr Barnes loaded with 2400. Barnes doesn’t have load data using H110 unfortunately but does for 2400. Need to test them out to 50 yards....

Tested some of the Barnes 44 mag 225 gr copper bullets that I loaded with H110 in my Henry today. Shot water jugs at 15 yards and it went through 4 jugs and landed about 8 feet behind the 4th jug. ZERO weight loss and great expansion.

Now I just need to test the 200 gr Barnes loaded with 2400. Barnes doesn’t have load data using H110 unfortunately but does for 2400. Need to test them out to 50 yards....

Attachments

• 95210455-D2D1-4B31-BBC1-48D1738B2217.png
    95210455-D2D1-4B31-BBC1-48D1738B2217.png
    401.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 6E467258-EDA8-4910-8B9E-165D9058382C.png
    6E467258-EDA8-4910-8B9E-165D9058382C.png
    366.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 4D841552-EDEE-4058-A093-4618713CA973.png
    4D841552-EDEE-4058-A093-4618713CA973.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 18
Did you ever buy something , then when you got it say to yourself "OH WTF was I thinking?" I bought a Frankford Arsenal deprimer as I thought it would be faster to deprime all the 9mm that I have gathered up. So I got it and set about to deprime around 400 really clean nice brass cases, when it dawned on me..... that I wasn't sizing the cases as I prepped for priming. DAMN now I have to go back and size and prime them on the press. I thought I was saving work only to cause myself more work. I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Did you ever buy something , then when you got it say to yourself "OH WTF was I thinking?" I bought a Frankford Arsenal deprimer as I thought it would be faster to deprime all the 9mm that I have gathered up. So I got it and set about to deprime around 400 really clean nice brass cases, when it dawned on me..... that I wasn't sizing the cases as I prepped for priming. DAMN now I have to go back and size and prime them on the press. I thought I was saving work only to cause myself more work. I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Well I guess if you de-prime first, then tumble, your primer pockets will be cleaner and the sizing step will poke out any media stuck in the flash hole. Just looking for a silver lining...;)

Made a case feeder for an Dillon RL550. Used a spare Dillon primer feed, some Lee case feeder magazine parts, some fab work, and 2 days that I will never get back.View attachment 215390 View attachment 215391 View attachment 215392 View attachment 215393 View attachment 215394 View attachment 215395 View attachment 215396
Nice. My understanding is Dillon could never really get a case feeder to work with a 550. Keep us posted please.
Also fwiw, I'm in a space formally occupied by an oil tank. The fung shui is way off down there though. Not a good vibe going on.

Definitely post a video if you get a chance. I'd love to give this a try with my 550.

Is the hose clamp just to adjust for various size brass?
Yes, the opening of the primer feeder is quite large. I also had to make the cavity more shallow so that the cases have to stack as they fall into place. The hose clamp makes it look cheesy, but it fit the bill. Just have to slide it up a bit to load 40's.

Also, I made no holes in the press itself, have to preserve that lifetime no bs warranty!

Loaded a few hundred rounds of 9MM using 124GR xTreme RN heads and VV N320. Running into a lot of WMA stamped brass (range pickups) with crimped primer pockets...AARRGGHHH !!!!

Almost makes me want to sort my brass by headstamp....almost ;-)

In the past 2 weeks I have loaded 2k of 45 acp, 230g coated lead over 3.8g Clays for 168pf in my 1911s. Also loaded 1k of 38 supercomp. 124g jhp over 10.1g of N105.

The mailman delivered some 405g 45-70 pills, I'll be assembling those soon.

In the past 2 weeks I have loaded 2k of 45 acp, 230g coated lead over 3.8g Clays for 168pf in my 1911s. Also loaded 1k of 38 supercomp. 124g jhp over 10.1g of N105.

The mailman delivered some 405g 45-70 pills, I'll be assembling those soon.

Very nice. Sounds like a productive last couple weeks. What do you have for a 45-70 rifle?

I continued loading more 9mm, 150 gr Blue bullet over 3.2 gr of N320 today after finally clearing a clogged bathtub drain. My wife’s long hair makes for a constant battle with the drain...

Earlier this week, I had some small and large pistol primers and N320 powder delivered. Next week I have a 3k bullets and a TON of brass being delivered. Mailman will love that...

Very nice. Sounds like a productive last couple weeks. What do you have for a 45-70 rifle?

I continued loading more 9mm, 150 gr Blue bullet over 3.2 gr of N320 today after finally clearing a clogged bathtub drain. My wife’s long hair makes for a constant battle with the drain...

I had some small pistol primers and N320 powder delivered this week. Next week I have a 3k bullets and a TON of brass being delivered. Mailman will love that...
My mailman attempted to drop 1k 230gr .45 bullets into my mailbox once. The plastic snapped and ripped the box off the siding. Oops

Back
Top Bottom