what choke to use?

ok i have just bought a mosberg 835 utli mag with interchangeable chokes i need to know what choke is good for shooting slugs out of and whats good for shooting birds and whats good for skeet and trap?
please let me know i am very new to the choke tube changing thank you

Skeet you use a skeet choke or modified
trap, usually a full but alot use modified and have success
Slugs, has to be a cylinder so the choke is the same diameter at the barrel.

Shoot a slug through a full choke and you will have a mess on your hands

00 buck, fine through Improved Cyl since its shot

but the slug is a big no no

Look at a choke like this. It does what it says.
Take a straw and make a spitball (your slug) and then squeeze the end of the straw while trying to blow the spitball out. You cant. Thats exactly what your choke is doing. If it was a real slug it would destroy the end of the barrel as it rips through the choke.

The choke is designed for shot so it can take the shot pellets and squeeze them together to make a nicer pattern coming from the end of the gun . Shoot shot out of a cylinder and you will see why they call it a scatter gun.

I would recommend that rather going with the choke for slugs, you get a slug barrel and just change it out when needed.
Interchangeable chokes are more for birds and clays than slug hunting.

00 buck, fine through Improved Cyl since its shot

but the slug is a big no no

I shoot slugs through a modified choke in 3 gun matches and it's no problem at all. Accuracy may be better with cyl or IC, but that depends on the gun and the slugs. You're not going to blow a gun up.

I shoot slugs through a modified choke in 3 gun matches and it's no problem at all. Accuracy may be better with cyl or IC, but that depends on the gun and the slugs. You're not going to blow a gun up.

+1 I used IC choke all day with slugs.

I shot rifled 1.5 oz slugs out of a full choke. There is also no problem there. At 25 yards I had a 4" drop but was dead center every time. I think it's great for someone who shoots slug & buck shot in the same tube. I also shot Brenkie KOs out of my full choke with the same result. I'd recommend IC for birds or modified if you let them get out ahead of you.

I shot rifled 1.5 oz slugs out of a full choke. There is also no problem there. At 25 yards I had a 4" drop but was dead center every time. I think it's great for someone who shoots slug & buck shot in the same tube. I also shot Brenkie KOs out of my full choke with the same result. I'd recommend IC for birds or modified if you let them get out ahead of you.

Agree. My first shotgun was born before interchangable choke tubes. The barrel was FULL. I shot slugs out of it for years with no problem.

SLUGS: Overbored 835® Model Accu-Mag barrels are designed for lead or
steel pellet shot loads only. We specifically disclaim any responsibility for
damage or injury resulting from firing slugs (single projectile ammunition)
through overbored barrels. Use only 835 Model barrels designed specifically
for slug shooting.

Intresting never heard of an overbored barrel before.

Intresting never heard of an overbored barrel before.

It's a feature usually found on higher-end competition guns. Supposedly, from what I've heard, it leads to less shot deformation and tighter patterns, but I can definitely see where it wouldnt work all that well with slugs.

Personally, in a gun with thread-in chokes, modified is about as tight as I would go for slugs. The slug WILL deform to get through the choke, but every now and again you can find an account of a slug ripping a screw-in choke out of a barrel.

It's a feature usually found on higher-end competition guns. Supposedly, from what I've heard, it leads to less shot deformation and tighter patterns, but I can definitely see where it wouldnt work all that well with slugs.

Sounds simillar to backboring which is stated to yield the same results.

Agree. My first shotgun was born before interchangable choke tubes. The barrel was FULL. I shot slugs out of it for years with no problem.

I used to deer hunt with an old Winchester 1200 full choke barrel and foster slugs too. It shot slugs quite well. However in the newer guns with interchangeable chokes the concern is that the choke be non restrictive so it does not get ripped out of the barrel by the slug.

Well a quick google search turned up a few tidbits on overboring. Looks as though most shotgun makers are going this route in guns that shoot the anti aircraft 3.5" mags for better patterns with steel shot.

Back
Top Bottom