What calibers have I been sleeping on?

So does everybody else. That's my problem.

I had considered that a long while back. I might have to check on that.

I like your thought process. That setup might be too niche for me though.

45-70 has been on my short list. What I'm looking to do have a selection of guns that are not of the calibers that get wiped out before they even hit the shelves. At the same time, I'm not looking for something so obsolete that you only get to shoot it when they find a hidden stash of 7.7x58mm on some island in the Philippines. I have all my common bases covered. NATO calibers, and other popular stuff like .45, .40, 7.62x39, I'm all set with that stuff.

So in your opinion, off the wall calibers are easier to come by than popular calibers ?

What I'm looking to do have a selection of guns that are not of the calibers that get wiped out before they even hit the shelves.

I’m afraid that it’s too late in the drought for that to be an effective strategy.

The less popular stuff you saw was mostly “new old stock” — stuff they kept in back just in case someone walked in asking for it and were willing to pay niche market prices. That backlog is running dry. Facing today’s reality where the market clearing price has more than doubled, manufacturers are going to concentrate on pumping out the stuff most in demand.

So I suspect what new ammo does hit the shelves for a while is going to a match for your current gear.

.32 revolvers are coming back. The low recoil is surprising and the velocity is high enough hollow points will expand, even from snubs. IMO, a .32 H&R Mag or .327 Federal Mag snub today is superior to a .38 snub. Ammo market will be slow to catch up to the rising demand tho.
My pocket carry gun is a Ruger LCR in 327 Fed Mag. The real advantage that I see is you can do most of your training with 32 S&W Long. As far as I’m concerned, the LCR shooting any of the “hot” 327 Fed Mag loads is still pretty unpleasant. It has a very sharp recoil that, even with the Hogue Tamer grip, stings my hands like hell. Considering that the hotter 327 loads are meant to match a 357, it’s really no surprise that the felt recoil is not that different. Totally different when shooting the 32 S&W long, much softer recoil with little POI change at self defense distances. I do all my training with the S&W Longs, switching over to my carry ammo just for the last couple of cylinder's full.

My pocket carry gun is a Ruger LCR in 327 Fed Mag. The real advantage that I see is you can do most of your training with 32 S&W Long. As far as I’m concerned, the LCR shooting any of the “hot” 327 Fed Mag loads is still pretty unpleasant. It has a very sharp recoil that, even with the Hogue Tamer grip, stings my hands like hell. Considering that the hotter 327 loads are meant to match a 357, it’s really no surprise that the felt recoil is not that different. Totally different when shooting the 32 S&W long, much softer recoil with little POI change at self defense distances. I do all my training with the S&W Longs, switching over to my carry ammo just for the last couple of cylinder's full.
When I say a .327 snub is superior, that doesn't mean I'm saying shoot .327 ammo in it, not unless you're a reloader and you use a starting load. IMO the .32 H&R is best for use in a snub, but the benefit of shooting it out of a .327 is you can load it a bit above max without issue. Even if you don't reload, Buffalo Bore has a +P .32 Mag ammo that is really hot, hotter than any other .32 Mag ammo out there.

Over the past year and including the post 2010 shortage a few things where on shelves of most stores I went into
40 and 10 mm- not in any large quantities though but in the shelf
Rifle- 6 and 7 mm offerings and 30/30

this season I had no problem getting 6.5 mm bullets
32 cal pistol bullets
22lr ammo- higher end match ammo that is

I don't see what .300 BLK does that a 70+ grain .223 won't do or be as cheap as 7.62x39 is.

300BLK lets you use the same bolt and same magazines as your 556. All you need to change out is the barrel so there is that one thing.

And the suppressor thing it is a good round for subsonic use with suppressor

300BLK lets you use the same bolt and same magazines as your 556. All you need to change out is the barrel so there is that one thing.

And the suppressor thing it is a good round for subsonic use with suppressor
May as well just buy a second rifle, one purpose built for a better caliber like 7.62x39. PSA has AR's now that use AK mags and they run like a clock.

Suppressor compatibility is moot if you live in a state where cans aren't legal.

May as well just buy a second rifle, one purpose built for a better caliber like 7.62x39. PSA has AR's now that use AK mags and they run like a clock.

Suppressor compatibility is moot if you live in a state where cans aren't legal.

Well yes but that is the reason that 300BLK exists

And if you are going to buy a second rifle in 762x39 then why buy an AR at all? The AK was designed around that cartridge and they sure 'run like a clock'

Hell there is room in the safe for everything so why not do them both?

Well yes but that is the reason that 300BLK exists

And if you are going to buy a second rifle in 762x39 then why buy an AR at all? The AK was designed around that cartridge and they sure 'run like a clock'

Hell there is room in the safe for everything so why not do them both?
Because the AR platform is more accurate. 1 MOA is pretty standard shooting 7.62x39 in it, even Wolf and TulAmmo.

Back
Top Bottom