What calibers have I been sleeping on?

Pretend I just woke up from a 10 year coma and I’m hearing about all these wonderous new calibers that have come into play, or have been brought back from obscurity. .300BLK, 6.5, 6.8, .338. What calibers do I need and why? Recommend 1 of each for the following application, semi-auto rifle, bolt-action rifle, pistol.

6.8 spc2 is awesome i have 2 Rifles in it and can always source it.

300 win is a metric s ton of fun too

I shoot 9 556 22wmr 6.8 and 300 win if you need info on the first 2 Idk where you've been

Rifle? 6.5 Creedmoor.

Great in both semi and bolt action. It's more common than the 6mm Creedmoor but that works too. Both are flatter shooting than .308 and have less recoil.

That said, if you have zero opportunity to shoot beyond 300 yards, you didn't miss anything during your Rip Van Winkle nap. Stick with .308 and load 155's or even 125's.

Pistol? Nada. 9mm still seems to be the caliber of choice, especially for fitting into clutch purse when going out on the town in an evening gown and pumps.
(Sorry for that LOL- the NES 9mm cult of metrosexuals has become a bit overbearing lately [rofl] )

1. Semi Automatic -- Wait until the US Military picks a winner for the NGSW, and then buy a 5.56mm AR-pattern rifle cheaply from one of those people who suddenly feel outgunned.
  2. Bolt Action -- 6.5x52 Carcano. While everyone is singing the praises of 6.5mm Creedmoor, why not go with something that has history on its side?
  3. Pistol -- .40. This round is so unpopular that should you shoot someone with it they may die of the shame.
All snarkiness aside, without knowing your needs or wants, your intended use, your budget, or your level of commitment to training, making a recommendation is futile. At least to my eye, there's great gear made in both "old" and "new" calibers, that the only real way to go wrong is to choose something based on someone else's subjective preferences.

6.5 creedmoor. THIS
Rifle? 6.5 Creedmoor.

Great in both semi and bolt action. It's more common than the 6mm Creedmoor but that works too. Both are flatter shooting than .308 and have less recoil.

That said, if you have zero opportunity to shoot beyond 300 yards, you didn't miss anything during your Rip Van Winkle nap. Stick with .308 and load 155's or even 125's.

I guess I don't understand the question. Do you only want recommendations for "new" calibers (less than 20 years old)?

I guess I don't understand the question. Do you only want recommendations for "new" calibers (less than 20 years old)?
Not necessarily. For example, I remember there was a resurgence of 5.45x39, .30, and 7.62x54 before I fell into my slumber. I suspect at the time, that was due to nations upgrading their arsenal and taking advantage of the feeding frenzy in the US market. That's why I also included "New" old calibers that may be coming back.

1. Semi Automatic -- Wait until the US Military picks a winner for the NGSW, and then buy a 5.56mm AR-pattern rifle cheaply from one of those people who suddenly feel outgunned.
All snarkiness aside, without knowing your needs or wants, your intended use, your budget, or your level of commitment to training, making a recommendation is futile. At least to my eye, there's great gear made in both "old" and "new" calibers, that the only real way to go wrong is to choose something based on someone else's subjective preferences.

I'm not holding my breath on there being a new standard any time soon. When there, of course I will evaluate my options. The reason I framed the question the way I did, was that over the past year, I have passed on opportunities to stock up on some of these calibers because I don't have a platform for them. I'm mostly sitting on the sidelines not dipping into my common caliber ammo stock, yet these new calibers do drop in the gun stores from time to time. Three, months ago for example, Four Seasons had 6.5 Creedmore, no limits.

I think you should tell us what you are trying to do and we can then give you some advice on what is the latest and greatest for that task.

Until then, the do it all 45/70. 160 years old and still kicking a**. It is probably more popular than it has ever been.

All other calibers are passing fads.

Last edited:
I don't see what .300 BLK does that a 70+ grain .223 won't do or be as cheap as 7.62x39 is.

6 and 6.5 Creedmore are all the rage right now and for super long range do have an advantage over .308 and .30-06. Outside of competitions, I don't see the need for one tho. For anything out to 250 I prefer 7.62x39 or .223/556, out to 400 .223/556 is doable, but .243 or .308 is preferred, and anything beyond 400 I'll make do with .243, .308, or .30-06.

.32 revolvers are coming back. The low recoil is surprising and the velocity is high enough hollow points will expand, even from snubs. IMO, a .32 H&R Mag or .327 Federal Mag snub today is superior to a .38 snub. Ammo market will be slow to catch up to the rising demand tho.

10mm is coming back. To think in the last few years we've gotten pistols from Springfield, carbines. and Ruger revolvers chambered for the 10 shows it's a good time to be alive. IMO, whatever decrease in .40's popularity there is will be picked up by the 10mm and the cool thing is most 10's can shoot .40 without any modifications or issue. The good news about 10mm is the ammo market is responding quickly.

There was this young girl a few years ago that claimed to be royalty. A family made her a bed of 10 mattresses and put a single .22 short under the bottom mattress. She got a terrible nights sleep and complained of a large impediment in the bed. She was truly the Princess and the Peashooter.

I don't see what .300 BLK does that a 70+ grain .223 won't do or be as cheap as 7.62x39 is.

Run a can. I think that's about it.

45/70 has been getting some huge traction. I think the lever action options are coming back.

A bolt gun in 6.5mm is on my short list to acquire. I don't have any .308 in the house, or I would consider it.

My favorite to me hunting round is. 30-06, but 6.5 cm doesn't lack much over the larger old faithful round.

None of the other new rounds have any appeal to me.

Get a conversion barrel for a G20 and shoot 9x25 Dillon. 10mm necked to 9mm there should be ammo available because almost no one shoots it and there was commercial ammo available. You just have to search for it

I like popular and readily available battlefield pickup calibers.

So does everybody else. That's my problem.

.327 Federal Mag snub today is superior to a .38 snub. Ammo market will be slow to catch up to the rising demand tho.

I had considered that a long while back. I might have to check on that.

Get a conversion barrel for a G20 and shoot 9x25 Dillon. 10mm necked to 9mm there should be ammo available because almost no one shoots it and there was commercial ammo available. You just have to search for it

I like your thought process. That setup might be too niche for me though.

I think you should tell us what you are trying to do and we can then give you some advice on what is the latest and greatest for that task.

Until then, the do it all 45/70. 160 years old and still kicking a**. It is probably more popular than it has ever been.

All other calibers are passing fads.

45-70 has been on my short list. What I'm looking to do have a selection of guns that are not of the calibers that get wiped out before they even hit the shelves. At the same time, I'm not looking for something so obsolete that you only get to shoot it when they find a hidden stash of 7.7x58mm on some island in the Philippines. I have all my common bases covered. NATO calibers, and other popular stuff like .45, .40, 7.62x39, I'm all set with that stuff.

No one....really....ok then...

"Fo-Tay is a proven dinosaur slayer my friend, welcome back from your 10 year nap. Oh btw, the world has gone to shit...sorry to break the news to ya."

Back
Top Bottom