• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what 10 items would you take for the alone show?

I'd take, for sure, the gillnet, the hammock, a modified Cold steel shovel (8" of saw edge) a modified Signal multitool (has a sharpener, a ferrorod, and can swap out the bitdriver for a file blade) I'd take the snare wire, a big roll of heavy duty duct tape, a ration of salt, another of pemmican and gorp mix, with some protein powder and ground up vitamin/mineral tablets in it. This latter would be mostly as bait, either the 12x12 tarp or the 80m of paracord, depending upon what sort of net and hammock they have let me take. and one of these:

chief aj's slingbow - Google Search

Use baked clay balls and the 9 arrows allowed this year. Rocks dont fly straight. Forget it.
You want slip-on rubber vanes, not feathers. you want 5 of your arrows to feature 4-tined fishing heads, while 4 arrows feature 3 bladed bodkin broadheads and one is a simple 2 bladed head. The latter can be hafted for use as a huku knife, if need be. Each tine can become 2 fishhooks in a few minutes each, courtesy of the multitool.

They give you a 10x10 and 20x20 tarp, and you can stone boil in a chunk of tarp, until you can make bark, wood, or baked clay containers. So dont waste a pick on a cooking pot. The tarp is a lot more versatile. Same deal for a sleeping bag. There's always debris that can be gathered, dried with hot rocks, and used as insulation, inside a bag made of the tarp.

Netfishig is the key, and they can't keep you from taking the stuff needed to make at least 1000 sq ft of 2" mesh netting, and probably 3x that much.

The axe, saw, ferrorod, belt knife, fishing kit, all are wasted picks. You can do a lot more with the picks I've listed above.

Have 40 lbs of fat and put yourself into ketosis before you go, so your body will be used to burning fat, instead of carbs. Get past the depression, apathy and bad decisions that go with that transition. Then you'll have energy for the 2 weeks it's going to take to get set up to feed yourself adequately.

Season 5 is in mongolia, in summer time. So there's no sea shore, making salt and preserving food a problem. There's no kelp to juice, so youll have to fry tree cambium in fish oil or animal fat. Frying makes the inner bark considerably more palatable. This time, they'll have a bit more access to young, dumb animals and a lot more greens, tubers, etc, to eat, but bugs are likely to be a real problem.

Back
Top Bottom