Westminster R&G closed due to neighbor complaints

God, I hope not. The ZBA requested they sit down and chat, the club and one neighbor showed up. The decision has been made - it's over, I wish we would stop negotiating after we win; they never negotiate other than to see how much we will give up.
exactly, the wouldn't show up because they never wanted to talk.

Do not sit down and talk with them. You will only get hurt by doing so.
You won, they lost. This is not the time to be handing out participation trophies.

Do not sit down and talk with them. You will only get hurt by doing so.
You won, they lost. This is not the time to be handing out participation trophies.
Sit down and talk.

Say "We are here to negotiate what portion of our defense bill you will reimburse. We will offer you the same consideration with shooting you would have offered us if you won (none)."

Sit down and talk.

Say "We are here to negotiate what portion of our defense bill you will reimburse. We will offer you the same consideration with shooting you would have offered us if you won (none)."

Having just gone thru a 6 day civil trial at Woburn Superior I wouldn't waste my time. The other side offered to sit down again to negotiate so thru our lawyer we responded and they couldn't even get past the first requirement. Just another wasted billable hour.

The club hired a lawyer for a reason. The membership should not take it upon itself to sit down and talk on their own IMHO. (If they were planning on it)

Sit down and talk.

Is a counter suit actually possible? I got laughed at pretty quick for suggesting the DA would care about ANTI's presenting fake evidence, which I suppose I deserved.

Sometimes talks work. I was involved in a civil suit (I was sent with the attorney to represent the gun club). When we got to court, the club attorney said "We talked with the judge, he asked us for one last settlement attempt, I'll wait in the hall while you find a room and work things out with opposing counsel". We managed to work out a fair settlement and avoid risking the court's wrath.

Fortin can't be reasoned with, and he will be back.

never-get-angry-never-make-a-threat-reason-with-people-quote-1.jpg

Of course, if people can't be reasoned with I believe the Don had a solution for that, too.

MGL C.214 S.7B

Section 7B: Noise pollution; shooting ranges; exemption from liability; hours of operation

Section 7B. Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law, rule or regulation to the contrary, no owner of a rifle, pistol, silhouette, skeet, trap, blackpowder, or other similar range shall be liable in any civil action or criminal prosecution in any matter relating to noise or noise pollution resulting from use of the range, provided said owner of the range was in compliance with any applicable noise control law, ordinance or by-laws in existence at the time of the construction of such range.

No owner shall be liable in any action for nuisance, and no court shall enjoin the use or operation of said range on the basis of noise or noise pollution, provided said owner was in compliance with any noise control law, ordinance or by-laws in existence at the time of the construction of the range.

The exemptions from liability and the immunities from prosecution provided in this section shall also extend to any owner who, in order to satisfy a requirement of law, regulation or by-law, relocates his range within the same parcel of land or a contiguous parcel of land, owned by him at the time that the commonwealth or its political subdivision commences enforcement of such a requirement or that the owner voluntarily complies with such a requirement. In order to maintain these exemptions from liability and immunities from prosecution, owners who relocate their ranges pursuant to the preceding sentence shall remain in compliance with the applicable noise control laws, ordinances or by-laws in existence at the time of the construction of the original range described in the first paragraph.

No standards in rules adopted by any state, city, or town agency for limiting levels of noise in terms of decibel level which may occur in the outdoor atmosphere shall apply to the ranges exempted from liability under the provisions of this section. Such ranges shall be prohibited from operating between the hours of ten o'clock post meridian and eight o'clock ante meridian unless otherwise allowed by the local governing body.

Wow! This must have been passed before MA became a Commie state.

Sit down and talk about what? They tried to destroy the club so builders could make higher profits. The only thing I would talk about is what charges would be appropriate against those in Westminster who plotted this in the first place.

The "why can't we get along" mentality makes me crazy. Its nothing more than the mantra of the Left that they will use to get us to drink the purple kool-aid.

Lets say the club does negotiate (meaning give stuff away and get nothing in return) - 'No shooting after 6PM or Dusk which ever comes first' lets say. Someone dummy up a recording after 6PM, or someone down the street let off some fireworks. Complaint to the Building Inspector, Police and Dog Catcher - and you get to start this whole thing over again.

Stick with the current rules, the only thing the club should discuss is how to get members elected to the Board of Selectmen, ZBA, and every other town department and committee.

Lets say the club does negotiate (meaning give stuff away and get nothing in return) - 'No shooting after 6PM or Dusk which ever comes first' lets say. Someone dummy up a recording after 6PM, or someone down the street let off some fireworks. Complaint to the Building Inspector, Police and Dog Catcher - and you get to start this whole thing over again.

Stick with the current rules, the only thing the club should discuss is how to get members elected to the Board of Selectmen, ZBA, and every other town department and committee.

Very good point! +1

If the club is an actual abutter to the proposed development Fortin may want to tread very lightly.
Abutters can make life "interesting" for a developer .

The property to be developed is a 1/2 mile away from us as the way the crow flies there not an abutter but well within ear shot. Also Mike Fortin is not an abutter but is 700 ft away and on the opposite side of the road behind us. We cant wait to receive the back in business paper work form the town. So far no word yet if the few abutters that do not like us have filed an appeal yet with the court. Also no talks have happened we won time to reopen soon and make some NOISE.

Last edited:
The property to be developed is a 1/2 mile away from us as the way the crow flies there not an abutter but well within ear shot. Also Mike Fortin is not an abutter but is 700 ft away and on the opposite side of the road behind us. We cant wait to receive the back in business paper work form the town. So far no word yet if the few abutters that do not like us have filed an appeal yet with the court. Also no talks have happened we won time to reopen soon and make some NOISE.

Glad to hear that there is no compromise coming after you won. Any idea when the paperwork will be official and you can reopen?

****ing eh.

What "paperwork" are we waiting on? Why is it taking more than 3 business days??

Why isn't the club open today? Forgive me if this was explained earlier...

What "paperwork" are we waiting on? Why is it taking more than 3 business days??

Why isn't the club open today? Forgive me if this was explained earlier...

State law requires a 20 day waiting period after a ZBA ruling in order to allow for appeals.

Glad to hear that there is no compromise coming after you won. Any idea when the paperwork will be official and you can reopen?

Appeal passed. Gun club can reopen once paperwork is finalized by June 8th unless there is another appeal.

This was posted from a NES'r who was at the meeting that night.

Back
Top Bottom