Went to the range today

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
It was snowing, windy and cold perfect weather for a Mosin Nagant. I packed up some ammo, brought my project Mosin and a M39 which bubba had drilled for a scope. I posted pictures of it with a red dot. I put a 10/22 weaver mount on it and mounted an old Weaver 6 power with a European reticule.

I dressed warm, fired up the wood stove in the warm up house and set out to enjoy myself. Started at 100 yards and was very happy with the results. Then out to 200 yards. It was snowing so hard at one point I was having trouble seeing my hits on the target. Both rifles performed beyond my hopes.

I got to the range at 12:30 and left at 5 p.m. Had to stop shooting at 4:30 due to sunset but I had a great day. I had the place to myself 99% of the day. Turbo showed up for a short time but other than that I was in my little piece of heaven.

The project rifle has a long eye relief 4X Simmons pistol scope and I have to tell you 4X at 200 yards isn't a great deal of help. But the scope held up great, held zero and never drifted.

All in all it was a GREAT day.

Last edited:
Pleasure meeting you, and thanks again for letting me shoot the Mosin! My friend and decided the indoor range was better suited for pistols today... even then we only saw one other person in the 2+ hrs we were there.

I had a great day at the range yesterday. Hosted givemeliberty and xFPSKyle over at HHRG. There was a few inches on the ground and plenty more was falling but it did not stop us. There was 7.62, 9mm, .223, 12g, and some .22 flying down range. Got to love a nice quite range with just you and your buddies.

I love quiet snowy range days. I would much rather show up to the range with a foot of snow on the ground and no one there than get there on a warm sunny day to find the place packed and you can't even set your range bag down anywhere.

Sounds like a great day at the range.
But hey, the Finns didn't have ovens when they shot moving targets[wink]

You are correct sir, I think the rifles sensed they were in their element and shot better than usual.

By the way, a bit off topic, at Fred's shoot when you were shooting my 1903A3 you had trouble getting it to feed a round from the magazine after you shot one round. Well my friend that's because you had the safety set to the position that only allows you to shoot one round and will not allow it to load one from the mag. I know it sounds strange but the war department at the time of the rifles trial demanded it do that for fear that soldiers would go thru ammo to quickly, so their thinking was allow the rifle to in essence have a selector to shoot single shot only. How did I find that out. Just finished an excellent book on the 1903 and 1903A3. In fact my friend I liked it so much I purchased one for you. P.M. me your address and I will send it along. I have books written by the authors; Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch on the 45-70 as well They are for collectors. I know you will enjoy it. Sorry its in English.;)

Happy reading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom