Went for powder storage permit, now need an inspection at the house?

International Fire code isn't state law. State law is very clear about when a permit is and is not required.

He is quoting the International Fire Code, which I assume is superseded by the state CMR's. I assume.

state law supersedes the International Fire Code. Always has and always will.

MGL's specify that storage over a certain amount requires a permit. tell him you need a permit. and no inspection is specified in the MGL's and I've never heard of a town that does them

Has anybody in North Attleboro, MA applied for a permit? I stopped by the fire station yesterday and the guy behind the counter didn't know anything about the permit other than on the permit cost sheet it cost $40. I liked how instead of guessing he came right out and said he didn't know much about them but thinks they are only good for 1 year. Is this true?

Read post 8... You got my old chief. [laugh] [shocked]
White Feather

International Fire code isn't state law. State law is very clear about when a permit is and is not required.

Yeah I tried explaining that it's quite obvious in the laws what requires a permit.

state law supersedes the International Fire Code. Always has and always will.

MGL's specify that storage over a certain amount requires a permit. tell him you need a permit. and no inspection is specified in the MGL's and I've never heard of a town that does them

Yeah I'll text him tomorrow and tell him just to give me a permit, maybe ask for a lifetime permit with a one time fee? [wink] Maybe he'll go with it if he is so misinformed. He told me he's only been the fire inspector since April and I'm the first who's called to get one. I know at least a dozen people at my club that reload so I'm definitely not alone.

Yeah I'll text him tomorrow and tell him just to give me a permit, maybe ask for a lifetime permit with a one time fee? [wink] Maybe he'll go with it if he is so misinformed. He told me he's only been the fire inspector since April and I'm the first who's called to get one. I know at least a dozen people at my club that reload so I'm definitely not alone.

Don't assume that. I know lots of people in my town reload, yet last I was told only 5 permits were ever issued. Most people ignore this stuff, probably due to ignorance.

So is there a 1-2-3/A-B-C guide to what storage needs to look like to get FD's approval without worrying about getting screwed by drawing attention to myself?

Don't assume that. I know lots of people in my town reload, yet last I was told only 5 permits were ever issued. Most people ignore this stuff, probably due to ignorance.

Right. I just meant that there are PLENTY of people in my town that reload, most/all of which didn't ask for permits apparently so I'm not the only reloader in Gloucester. I've asked a couple guys at my club and they all said to don't bother mentioning what you have. But as a new homeowner as of last year, I'm trying to cover my ass. It certainly helped that I've known the fire inspector's brother for a while, both of which are gun owners.

- - - Updated - - -

So is there a 1-2-3/A-B-C guide to what storage needs to look like to get FD's approval without worrying about getting screwed by drawing attention to myself?

This was my concern as well and why I've waited until recently to ask about getting one from the city (mainly because I know the inspector's brother, both of which are pro gun).

I think I am weighing insurance issues against alerting "the State" that I have 'splosives. And such.

you have an LTC don't you? Then they already know. And they're propellants not explosives unless you use black powder.

You should be more worried about your insurance company if you ever have a fire and don't have a permit for what you're storing.

The only thing I would possibly need a permit for is the primers and those are not propellants. 1,000 is just a silly number. 10,000 isn't even a significant quantity.

The only thing I would possibly need a permit for is the primers and those are not propellants. 1,000 is just a silly number. 10,000 isn't even a significant quantity.

I agree it's not a significant amount. I can't imagine fellow NESers who are high volume shooters (IDPA, USPSA, etc) have less than 10k primers on hand. That's only 2 cases of primers.

I spoke with my local Chief today and he had no input on the primer limit. We talked about the limits with out a permit and adding 10000+ primers to that is not really a issue as a fire hazard. My permit was lost after some pipe leaks. I decided to get another one. no issues 25$ lifetime pick it up sat.

Last edited:
I spoke with my local Chief today and he had no input on the primer limit. We talked about the limits with out a permit and adding 10000+ primers to that is not really a issue as a fire hazard. My permit was lost after some pipe leaks. I decided to get another one. no issues 25$ lifetime pick it up sat.

What town is that?

picked up permit today all went as said. Only reduction in quantities was for black powder. Reduced to 2lbs

picked up permit today all went as said. Only reduction in quantities was for black powder. Reduced to 2lbs

Wasn't it 2lbs before a permit and 4lbs with a permit?

Also...what if I get a storage unit in NH and store all my primers there. Can that be done?

Has anybody in North Attleboro, MA applied for a permit? I stopped by the fire station yesterday and the guy behind the counter didn't know anything about the permit other than on the permit cost sheet it cost $40. I liked how instead of guessing he came right out and said he didn't know much about them but thinks they are only good for 1 year. Is this true?

It's a discretion thing. Mine was $25 for lifetime.

Yes, it is 2# WITHOUT a permit. It is up to 5# WITH a permit.

Of course for multi-family dwellings they can reduce any/all the numbers, but they can do that for anyone/everyone if they want.

correct I pointed out the multifamily and public access part on the wording of the regulations. I stated I was a single family home. the black powder thing is fine for me. I'm just glad it was a phone call and pick up on Saturday....no way I could get to FD during business hours!

correct I pointed out the multifamily and public access part on the wording of the regulations. I stated I was a single family home. the black powder thing is fine for me. I'm just glad it was a phone call and pick up on Saturday....no way I could get to FD during business hours!

The CMR key wording is "up to", so it does give discretion to the fire chief to restrict us to lower limits.

Most FDs business hours are 24x7x365, unless it is a call fire department. Unlike PDs, they don't try to inconvenience their "customers".

if powder is stored in a shed separate from the home, can more powder/primers be stored?

The CMR key wording is "up to", so it does give discretion to the fire chief to restrict us to lower limits.

Most FDs business hours are 24x7x365, unless it is a call fire department. Unlike PDs, they don't try to inconvenience their "customers".

true but the chief is the permit guy....m -f 8-4. when I went to the station the main lobby was locked and shut down. no one at front desk. I suppose I could bother the FF who where cleaning their gear but most likely they wouldn't know the chiefs business. In the end from call to permit in hand was 48 hrs. Chief was professional polite and did what he said he would do......

true but the chief is the permit guy....m -f 8-4. when I went to the station the main lobby was locked and shut down. no one at front desk. I suppose I could bother the FF who where cleaning their gear but most likely they wouldn't know the chiefs business. In the end from call to permit in hand was 48 hrs. Chief was professional polite and did what he said he would do......

Your choice, but in past years whoever I spoke with took a note and left it for the Deputy (who handled the permits) and next time I dropped by they had it waiting for me. No interview process. Last year I and they handled the whole thing via Email even Emailing me the permit and they just asked me to drop off a $5.00 check at my convenience.

You'll be surprised how accommodating the FD is compared to the PD!!!!!!

It's a discretion thing. Mine was $25 for lifetime.

And for those that must renew annually with an expiration date will forget and lose compliance.
Eventually records are computerized and then the auto-alerts go out. Someone's old lady gets a knock on the door because the husband passed away and the permit was never renewed.
Its better to be in a free state.

Back
Top Bottom